Can you tele-extend a 60mm micro Nikkor?

Old June 18th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Can you tele-extend a 60mm micro Nikkor?

Hello Everyone,

I've been having a lot of fun taking pictures of insects and small plants
with my 60mm Nikkor "micro" lens. Some of my latest pictures taken with
this lens are at http://www.scottspeck.com/old4/index.html. The blue heron
pics on that page were taken with a 80-400 Nikkor zoom with VR having been
activated. All other pics, both short and long range, were taken using the
60mm.

My question is, could I use a tele-extender to further magnify images taken
my micro lens? If so, would this introduce much distortion of the image?

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Old June 18th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In message ,
"Scott Speck" wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I've been having a lot of fun taking pictures of insects and small plants
with my 60mm Nikkor "micro" lens. Some of my latest pictures taken with
this lens are at http://www.scottspeck.com/old4/index.html. The blue heron
pics on that page were taken with a 80-400 Nikkor zoom with VR having been
activated. All other pics, both short and long range, were taken using the
60mm.

My question is, could I use a tele-extender to further magnify images taken
my micro lens? If so, would this introduce much distortion of the image?

My suspicion is that the "90mm or greater" value given by TC
manufacturers assumes a "full-frame" sensor or 35mm film. With an
APS-sized sensor, you can probably go down to 50 or 60mm. I use a 1.4x
a lot with my Tamron 28-75 on my 20D (1.6x crop sensor), and it only get
a little funny down around 28, and then only wide-open.
--

John P Sheehy

Old June 19th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Scott Speck" wrote in message
. ..
Hello Everyone,

I've been having a lot of fun taking pictures of insects and small plants
with my 60mm Nikkor "micro" lens. Some of my latest pictures taken with
this lens are at http://www.scottspeck.com/old4/index.html. The blue
heron pics on that page were taken with a 80-400 Nikkor zoom with VR
having been activated. All other pics, both short and long range, were
taken using the 60mm.

My question is, could I use a tele-extender to further magnify images
taken my micro lens? If so, would this introduce much distortion of the
image?

Thanks for any help,
Scott

A good tele-extender should not seriously degrade your images. You will lose
some speed (with a 2x extender you lens will become a 120mm f5.6), but on
the upside your minimum focusing distance remains the same, giving you twice
the magnification :-)

Toby

Old June 19th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Scott Speck wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I've been having a lot of fun taking pictures of insects and small plants
with my 60mm Nikkor "micro" lens. Some of my latest pictures taken with
this lens are at http://www.scottspeck.com/old4/index.html. The blue heron
pics on that page were taken with a 80-400 Nikkor zoom with VR having been
activated. All other pics, both short and long range, were taken using the
60mm.

My question is, could I use a tele-extender to further magnify images taken
my micro lens? If so, would this introduce much distortion of the image?

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Yes you can, but there is a limit, if you use a 2x extender you get a
120mm f5.6 lens, no more. The one advantage you will get is at your
closest focus you will get 2:1 instead of 1:1 at the same distance. Now
for the bad news telextenders always degrade the image, if you are
starting with a micro Nikkor you are starting with an excellent lens so
the images will PROBABLY be OK. Don't buy a cheap one either
telextenders are generally designed with the manufacturers lenses
(mostly telephoto) in mind. The Nikkor 2x telextender is $300+, you may
be able to get a faster 100mm lens for that price.

Tom