color gamut conversion

Old April 19th 05, 10:24 PM
Peter Vermeer

Default color gamut conversion

Hi,

I'm interesting in the sequence of events of light which comes from an
arbitrary scene, travels through a digital camera, and ends in a
picture (e.g. bmp-file).

Does anybody know some good references / Websites about this topic?

For example I read something about color gamut conversion that happens
when the sensor color space is converted to another color space (e.g.
RGB).
Can anybody explain something more about this? For example what is the
sensor color space? Why is it necessary because you already apply the
Bayer matrix which gives you RGB values, I thought?

Thanks for any information,

Peter
Old April 20th 05, 01:49 AM
paul

Peter Vermeer wrote:
Hi,

I'm interesting in the sequence of events of light which comes from an
arbitrary scene, travels through a digital camera, and ends in a
picture (e.g. bmp-file).

Does anybody know some good references / Websites about this topic?

These links were just posted in another thread:
http://cs.haifa.ac.il/hagit/courses/ist/Lectures/IST12_ColorManagementx4.pdf
http://wwwde.kodak.com/US/en/corp/researchDevelopment/technologyFeatures/gamut.shtml

For example I read something about color gamut conversion that happens
when the sensor color space is converted to another color space (e.g.
RGB).
Can anybody explain something more about this? For example what is the
sensor color space? Why is it necessary because you already apply the
Bayer matrix which gives you RGB values, I thought?

All devices have their own distinctive bias so standardized test charts
and color reading machines create software profiles to quantify the
imperfections. Also various devices and formats have limited range so
you need to specify how to translate or clip from one gamut to another.
Old April 20th 05, 02:33 AM
Stacey

Peter Vermeer wrote:

Hi,

I'm interesting in the sequence of events of light which comes from an
arbitrary scene, travels through a digital camera, and ends in a
picture (e.g. bmp-file).

Does anybody know some good references / Websites about this topic?

For example I read something about color gamut conversion that happens
when the sensor color space is converted to another color space (e.g.
RGB).
Can anybody explain something more about this? For example what is the
sensor color space? Why is it necessary because you already apply the
Bayer matrix which gives you RGB values, I thought?

The main reason for "working" color spaces is they are based on a central
grey point. That means you can adjust contrast etc without shifting the
color balance. Trying to use say a printer profile as a working color space
is a BAD idea..
--

Stacey
Old April 20th 05, 03:39 AM
Colin D

Peter Vermeer wrote:

Hi,

I'm interesting in the sequence of events of light which comes from an
arbitrary scene, travels through a digital camera, and ends in a
picture (e.g. bmp-file).

Does anybody know some good references / Websites about this topic?

For example I read something about color gamut conversion that happens
when the sensor color space is converted to another color space (e.g.
RGB).
Can anybody explain something more about this? For example what is the
sensor color space? Why is it necessary because you already apply the
Bayer matrix which gives you RGB values, I thought?

Thanks for any information,

Peter

This is a b-i-g- subject, too big to answer in a NG post. Google for
the subject, or buy a book.

Colin
Old April 20th 05, 11:38 AM

Peter Vermeer wrote:

I'm interesting in the sequence of events of light which comes from an
arbitrary scene, travels through a digital camera, and ends in a
picture (e.g. bmp-file).

Does anybody know some good references / Websites about this topic?

The classic reference on this topic is:

The Reproduction of Colour, 6th Edition
R.W.G. Hunt
ISBN: 0-470-02425-9