Rebel XT: CreativePro review doesn't add much, but ...

Old April 13th 05, 04:32 PM
Frank ess

Default Rebel XT: CreativePro review doesn't add much, but ...

.... in the penultimate paragraph a link to the author's site leads to a
comparison of the XT and the 20D, for those who are vacillating ...

http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

--
Frank ess

Old April 14th 05, 05:43 AM
RichA

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:32:25 -0700, "Frank ess"
wrote:

... in the penultimate paragraph a link to the author's site leads to a
comparison of the XT and the 20D, for those who are vacillating ...

http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

Obviously, Canon tried to position lightness as an attribute,
something that has a limit, in a camera. All a hyperlight camera
gets you is insufficient grip area and lots of camera shake
that a heavier camera helps damp out.
At least the author mentioned this.
-Rich
Old April 14th 05, 11:24 AM
Ron Hunter

wrote:

... in the penultimate paragraph a link to the author's site leads to a
comparison of the XT and the 20D, for those who are vacillating ...

http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

Obviously, Canon tried to position lightness as an attribute,
something that has a limit, in a camera. All a hyperlight camera
gets you is insufficient grip area and lots of camera shake
that a heavier camera helps damp out.
At least the author mentioned this.
-Rich

Humm. So the ideal camera would weigh in at 20 lbs., and be the size of
a breadbox? Somehow I doubt I would carry one like that.

--
Ron Hunter
Old April 14th 05, 03:09 PM
Alan Browne

wrote:

... in the penultimate paragraph a link to the author's site leads to a
comparison of the XT and the 20D, for those who are vacillating ...

http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

Obviously, Canon tried to position lightness as an attribute,
something that has a limit, in a camera. All a hyperlight camera
gets you is insufficient grip area and lots of camera shake
that a heavier camera helps damp out.

A heavier camera will tire you out faster making control more difficult.
A lighter camera, properly held, will not shake in your hands unless
you have other motor control problems.

OTOH, there are monopods.

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 15th 05, 06:59 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

wrote:

... in the penultimate paragraph a link to the author's site leads to a
comparison of the XT and the 20D, for those who are vacillating ...

http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

Obviously, Canon tried to position lightness as an attribute,
something that has a limit, in a camera. All a hyperlight camera
gets you is insufficient grip area and lots of camera shake
that a heavier camera helps damp out.
At least the author mentioned this.
-Rich

Angular momentum is a lot more important than total weight. You want
the weight at the edges, not the center.

I doubt there's much difference between the XT and 20D as far as angular
momentum goes. The quality of your grip on the camera would matter much
more. You have to try holding them.

The 10D is a camera where I'd say that weight is a disadvantage. My
wrist would be in spasms if I had to carry that brick and a lens for a
few hours.
Old April 17th 05, 09:12 PM
G.T.

wrote:

... in the penultimate paragraph a link to the author's site leads to a
comparison of the XT and the 20D, for those who are vacillating ...

http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

Obviously, Canon tried to position lightness as an attribute,
something that has a limit, in a camera. All a hyperlight camera
gets you is insufficient grip area and lots of camera shake
that a heavier camera helps damp out.
At least the author mentioned this.

So that's all a hyperlight camera gets you? I can think of at least one
major benefit of a lighter camera and I think I'm starting to learn to not
bother reading your posts. If I need a heavier camera I can always throw on
the battery grip.

Greg

Old April 17th 05, 09:17 PM
Tony

Apparently some people are steadier if they are carrying an anvil. I think
they would probably be steadier yet if they left the anvil at home along
with their pint of Jack Daniels.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old April 18th 05, 04:22 AM
RichA

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:12:04 -0700, "G.T."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

... in the penultimate paragraph a link to the author's site leads to a
comparison of the XT and the 20D, for those who are vacillating ...

http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

Obviously, Canon tried to position lightness as an attribute,
something that has a limit, in a camera. All a hyperlight camera
gets you is insufficient grip area and lots of camera shake
that a heavier camera helps damp out.
At least the author mentioned this.

So that's all a hyperlight camera gets you? I can think of at least one
major benefit of a lighter camera and I think I'm starting to learn to not
bother reading your posts. If I need a heavier camera I can always throw on
the battery grip.

Greg

If someone really wants the benefit of a light camera, they'd
do well to consider one of those pocketable compacts from Canon
like the Elf. Otherwise, stop complaining about weight and do
something to build up your strength.
-Rich
Old April 18th 05, 04:57 PM
Lester Wareham

wrote:

... in the penultimate paragraph a link to the author's site leads to a
comparison of the XT and the 20D, for those who are vacillating ...

http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

Obviously, Canon tried to position lightness as an attribute,
something that has a limit, in a camera. All a hyperlight camera
gets you is insufficient grip area and lots of camera shake
that a heavier camera helps damp out.
At least the author mentioned this.
-Rich

Particularly as many people seem happy to use 1 +/- 0.3 Kg zoom lenses, I
would think this makes the camera mass secondary.

Lester

Old April 20th 05, 06:16 AM
G.T.

"RichA" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:12:04 -0700, "G.T."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Spoken like someone who has never walked farther than the distance from the
barcalounger to the frigidaire.

Greg