Nokia uses other device to do video in cell phone ad

Old September 7th 12, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

Default Nokia uses other device to do video in cell phone ad

On 9/7/12 12:15 PM, in article ,
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote:

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:41:54 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Now, imagine if the DSLR sellers were forced to admit they used medium
format equipment or large format equipment for their camera ads?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19499879

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
If it actually was good enough to do as they claimed and the ad had
run with genuine vid from the cam, it would have been good promo.
Nobody's going to believe them now, though.

You WOULD think that SOMEBODY in Post would have noticed that obvious
blunder. Amazing how some companies are run by inept brass. Nokia, like RIM
deserve their fate...

Old September 8th 12, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:04:01 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:
: On 9/7/12 12:15 PM, in article ,
:
: wrote:
:
: Now, imagine if the DSLR sellers were forced to admit they used medium
: format equipment or large format equipment for their camera ads?
:
:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19499879
:
: Stupid, stupid, stupid.
: If it actually was good enough to do as they claimed and the ad had
: run with genuine vid from the cam, it would have been good promo.
: Nobody's going to believe them now, though.
:
: You WOULD think that SOMEBODY in Post would have noticed that obvious
: blunder. Amazing how some companies are run by inept brass. Nokia, like
: RIM deserve their fate...

Yeah, it could have been ineptitude, but the more obvious explanation is that
Nokia's "brass" are as dishonest as their marketing lackeys. Which doesn't
mean they aren't also stupid. Such conspicuous dishonesty often proves to be
profoundly stupid.

BTW, an apology is not what's due. What's due is the firing of everyone in the
relevant chain of command, from the Marketing VP down to the cameraman. Anyone
who had a hand in making or approving that ad. But I suspect that George is
right: Nokia is now toast. Except in Finland, they will hardly be missed.

Is that young British or American hotshot whom Nokia brought in to run the
company a couple of years ago still around?

Bob
Old September 8th 12, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 9/8/12 10:31 AM, in article ,
"Robert Coe" wrote:

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:04:01 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:
: On 9/7/12 12:15 PM, in article
,
:
: wrote:
:
[...]

The Cameraman?!?

There you go again, picking on the poor, poor photographer...

;-)

Old September 8th 12, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012.09.08 14:45 , tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 11:31:34 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

Nokia is now toast. Except in Finland, they will hardly be missed.

I'll miss Nokia. The Nokia mobiles that I have owned were the best
available at the time. IMHO.

I had mostly Nokia's (including one that I left on the roof of my car
and drove off. When I drove around a corner it flew to the pavement and
exploded into 5 or so pieces. (2 blocks from where I drove off).

Snapped the parts together and it worked fine.

I had a SonyErikson that was a POS and a BlackBerry for work that was
very good.

My last cell before the iPhone was also a Nokia.

--
"C'mon boys, you're not laying pipe!".
-John Keating.
Old September 8th 12, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-09-08 11:45:45 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 11:31:34 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

Nokia is now toast. Except in Finland, they will hardly be missed.

I'll miss Nokia. The Nokia mobiles that I have owned were the best
available at the time. IMHO.

I still have my Nokia brick from 1989, squirreled away somewhere. That
was on a pre-Verizon, GTE contract, and I have the same number on my
current iPhone.

Savageduck

Old September 8th 12, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 17:58:09 +0100, Bruce wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
:
: Is that young British or American hotshot whom Nokia brought in to run the
: company a couple of years ago still around?
:
:
: I worry a little about the concept of a "British hotshot". Being
: a "hotshot" isn't something that we British generally indulge in,
: preferring to leave it to our cousins across the sea who appear
: infinitely more talented in that area of expertise.

I finally Googled him. He's a Canadian-American hotshot. Born in Canada,
citizen of both countries. Formerly employed at Microsoft.

Bob
Old September 9th 12, 07:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Trevor[_2_]

"tony cooper" wrote in message
I'll miss Nokia. The Nokia mobiles that I have owned were the best
available at the time. IMHO.

And times change, while some companies fail to do so.

Trevor.

Old September 9th 12, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Robert Coe wrote:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:04:01 -0500, George Kerby

: You WOULD think that SOMEBODY in Post would have noticed that obvious
: blunder. Amazing how some companies are run by inept brass. Nokia, like
: RIM deserve their fate...

Yeah, it could have been ineptitude, but the more obvious explanation is that
Nokia's "brass" are as dishonest as their marketing lackeys. Which doesn't
mean they aren't also stupid. Such conspicuous dishonesty often proves to be
profoundly stupid.

Actually, what they did is demonstrate the OIS capability.
They never intended that as "this is the real camera's output".

Hence, the only 'blunder' was the assumption that everyone would
KNOW that this was only a synthetic demonstration of the OIS
capability (just as the MTF diagrams of Canon lenses are synthetic
(computer generated), not measured).

Everybody *knows* that advertizing always is on the border of
misleading e.g. by not mentioning everything, comparing against
the worst possible competitor or circumstances, exaggeration of
everything, and so on and so on. Everybody.

BTW, an apology is not what's due. What's due is the firing of everyone in the
relevant chain of command, from the Marketing VP down to the cameraman. Anyone
who had a hand in making or approving that ad. But I suspect that George is
right: Nokia is now toast. Except in Finland, they will hardly be missed.

So do you agree to commit Seppuku if you ever are wrong in
anything? That would only be ethical, given that you expect the
equivalent from others.

-Wolfgang
Old September 9th 12, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Trevor wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
I'll miss Nokia. The Nokia mobiles that I have owned were the best
available at the time. IMHO.

And times change, while some companies fail to do so.

Actually they did change, just not the right change. That ex-Microsoft
"young hotshot" recently brought in to run Nokia decided that they
obviously needed to go where the future action was going to be,
i.e. Microsoft Windows for Mobiles. You get what you pay for.
Pity. Their Symbian-based smarthphones were extremely good.

--
Chris Malcolm

Old September 10th 12, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Trevor[_2_]

"Chris Malcolm" wrote in message
In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Trevor wrote:
"tony cooper" wrote in message
I'll miss Nokia. The Nokia mobiles that I have owned were the best
available at the time. IMHO.

And times change, while some companies fail to do so.

Actually they did change, just not the right change.

Nope, stuck with Symbian far too long IMO, without ever supporting it
properly.

That ex-Microsoft
"young hotshot" recently brought in to run Nokia decided that they
obviously needed to go where the future action was going to be,
i.e. Microsoft Windows for Mobiles. You get what you pay for.
Pity. Their Symbian-based smarthphones were extremely good.

.... as standard phones yes. As "smart phones" *No*. And I speak from my
experience there, same as many others that made the switch apparently.

Trevor.