Best developer for fuji neopan 1600 ?

Old June 30th 04, 10:13 PM
Hywel Davies

Default Best developer for fuji neopan 1600 ?

Which developers would the wise folks on this newsgroup recommend for neopan
1600? The aim is to minimise grain (at least somewhat). I've tried T-max, at
24C but this was more grainy than expected. I realise it's going to be
fairly grainy anyway.

Thanks

Ros

Old July 1st 04, 04:08 AM
Donald Qualls

Hywel Davies wrote:

Which developers would the wise folks on this newsgroup recommend for neopan
1600? The aim is to minimise grain (at least somewhat). I've tried T-max, at
24C but this was more grainy than expected. I realise it's going to be
fairly grainy anyway.

HC-110 or D-76 will likely give less grain than T-Max, without loss of
speed (though you're actually pushing a little to get Neopan 1600 to
1600; it's properly about 800-1000, but designed with low contrast so it
pushes well). If you can tolerate loss of speed and some loss of
acutance, Microdol-X should significantly reduce grain -- but then you
might as well shoot Tri-X or Neopan 400 and develop in conventional
processes. I've seen claims that shortening process time reduces grain,
other factors equal, which would suggest HC-110, possibly even in
Dilution A, would be the likeliest candidate. Dilution A times are
about 70% of Dilution B, in the likely case you can't find them listed
anywhere. The push to 1600 should still give a time around 4+ minutes;
I wouldn't try to go under 4 minutes for tank development because of
problems with consistency and fill/drain times relative to the total dev
time.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old July 1st 04, 02:13 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"Hywel Davies" wrote in message ...
Which developers would the wise folks on this newsgroup recommend for neopan
1600? The aim is to minimise grain (at least somewhat). I've tried T-max, at
24C but this was more grainy than expected. I realise it's going to be
fairly grainy anyway.

Thanks

Ros

I strongly recommend Acutol. Try 1+15 for 7.5 minutes @ 20C/68F. It's
a VERY fine-grained film when developed properly. Expose at about EI
650-800.
Old July 1st 04, 02:16 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"Hywel Davies" wrote in message ...
Which developers would the wise folks on this newsgroup recommend for neopan
1600? The aim is to minimise grain (at least somewhat). I've tried T-max, at
24C but this was more grainy than expected. I realise it's going to be
fairly grainy anyway.

Thanks

Ros

I strongly recommend Acutol. Try 1+15 for 7.5 minutes @ 20C/68F. It's
a VERY fine-grained film when developed properly. Expose at about EI
650-800. Here's an example:

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1225120
Old July 1st 04, 03:17 PM
Silvio Bacchetta

R.Gigi ha scritto:
Hi,
where can I find developing times with rodinal?

Try on digitaltruth. I remember they are very short, about 3.5 minutes
in 1+50 diluition.

--
Registered user at http://counter.li.org # 170453
Jabber JID:

Old July 2nd 04, 04:47 AM
Donald Qualls

R.Gigi wrote:

Hi,
where can I find developing times with rodinal?

Start with:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

Old July 2nd 04, 08:20 PM
wkg

Użytkownik "Hywel Davies" napisał w
wiadomo¶ci ...
Which developers would the wise folks on this newsgroup recommend for

neopan
1600? The aim is to minimise grain (at least somewhat). I've tried T-max,

at
24C but this was more grainy than expected. I realise it's going to be
fairly grainy anyway.

Thanks

Ros

Hallo !

In my opinion the best is XTOL 1+3 for Neopan 1600@800 ... I use it for
Neopan 1600@1600 also. Times from www.digitaltruth.com

Regards
wkg

Old July 2nd 04, 10:06 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Donald Qualls wrote in message news:UU4Fc.11002$%_6.9308@attbi_s01...
R.Gigi wrote:

Hi,
where can I find developing times with rodinal?

Start with:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

It would be difficult to find a developer less suited for Neopan 1600
than Rodinal. Worst possible choice.
Old July 3rd 04, 03:35 AM
Donald Qualls

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

It would be difficult to find a developer less suited for Neopan 1600
than Rodinal. Worst possible choice.

Your opinion, of course -- and while it might even be correct (though I
admit, with some subject matter grain doesn't bother me), that wasn't
the question asked. Maybe the original poster wanted to find out if he
*liked* the look? Or see it, to know what kind of subject matter it
might suit? Or perhaps he has some time critical images, and *only* has
Rodinal available in the time frame he's working in, and something with
ugly grain is better than undeveloped film?