photo arranging/album software

Old May 31st 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default photo arranging/album software

I know this question has probably been asked a gazillion times here but can
anyone suggest easy-to-use photo album management software?

I've got Photoshop and Paint Shop pro but what I need is something that
whizzes through my directories (not automatically, please!) and gives me a
thumbnail with exif information. I can then click on whichever photo I want
and process it in PS or PSP.

Any ideas? Freeware would be nice.

LouisB
------
"I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"

Old May 31st 06, 12:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

LouisB wrote:
I know this question has probably been asked a gazillion times here
but can anyone suggest easy-to-use photo album management software?

I've got Photoshop and Paint Shop pro but what I need is something
that whizzes through my directories (not automatically, please!) and
gives me a thumbnail with exif information. I can then click on
whichever photo I want and process it in PS or PSP.

Any ideas? Freeware would be nice.

LouisB
------
"I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"

Have you consider Adobe's Elements?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old May 31st 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

LouisB wrote:
I know this question has probably been asked a gazillion times here but can
anyone suggest easy-to-use photo album management software?

I've got Photoshop and Paint Shop pro but what I need is something that
whizzes through my directories (not automatically, please!) and gives me a
thumbnail with exif information. I can then click on whichever photo I want
and process it in PS or PSP.

Any ideas? Freeware would be nice.

I recommend PicaJet Photo Organizer (http://picajet.com). There is also
available free version, but it has some limitations and after a while of
playing I bought payable FX version. The interface is a feature rich and easy-
to-use, plus I can upload the images to my Fotki account. To view my images
I use IrfanView (http://irfanview.com). You can also take a look to softwares
which organizing images physically on HD: CamReader (http://camreader.com) or
DownloaderPro (I don't remember link, google it). So organising the photos in
a logical and a physical manner allows you to easily retrive the necessary
images at any time.
Plus based on my experience before organizing the images think about the
folder & file naming strategies. Hope it helps.
Old May 31st 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Have you consider Adobe's Elements?

Yes, in fact it came with my Leica D-LUX 2.

The problem I found with it is that each time I loaded a volume on my PC it
insisted in trying to categorise all photos regardless of where they were
and whether or not I wanted it to. I could not find a way to turn this
feature off. I don't like software which makes assumptions (in my case bad
ones) about what users want to do.

If you know how to control the software so it doesn't automatically try to
categorise photos and will allow me to decide manually when and where to do
it then I might think are re-installing it.

LouisB

Old May 31st 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

LouisB wrote:
I know this question has probably been asked a gazillion times here
but can anyone suggest easy-to-use photo album management software?

I've got Photoshop and Paint Shop pro but what I need is something
that whizzes through my directories (not automatically, please!) and
gives me a thumbnail with exif information. I can then click on
whichever photo I want and process it in PS or PSP.

Any ideas? Freeware would be nice.

Surprised that no-one has mentioned Photoshop Album, the companion
application to Photoshop.

Old May 31st 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

http://picasa.google.com/
Old May 31st 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"LouisB" wrote in
.uk:

Any ideas? Freeware would be nice.

http://pmeindre.free.fr/

Freeware and you can do with it what you want.

--
Onno Voors
Old May 31st 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The most common apps for photo arranging are ACDC, Extensis Portfolio and
Picasa.

May be worth you checking these out, however I am sceptical about using
software albums. I just use a folder structure on my PC that allows me to
find the photos I want. This way I am not tied into any particular
software.

.uk...

Old May 31st 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

LouisB wrote:
Have you consider Adobe's Elements?

Yes, in fact it came with my Leica D-LUX 2.

The problem I found with it is that each time I loaded a volume

What do you mean "loaded a volume"

on my
PC it insisted in trying to categorise all photos regardless of where
they were and whether or not I wanted it to. I could not find a way
to turn this feature off. I don't like software which makes
assumptions (in my case bad ones) about what users want to do.

I suspect you can turn it off take a look at:

Edit: Preferences: Files- (uncheck) Automatically Index