Kodak discontinues T400CN and Portra 400UC, 400BW; introduces Ultra Color 100, 400, and BW400CN; improves Porta 800

Old February 13th 04, 12:39 AM
Peter Lawrence

Default Kodak discontinues T400CN and Portra 400UC, 400BW; introduces Ultra Color 100, 400, and BW400CN; improves Porta 800

At the PMA today, Kodak announced changes to its professional color
and black & white negative film product lines:

Here's a link to Kodak's press release:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/pres...40212-05.shtml

- Peter
Old February 13th 04, 01:49 AM
Bill Tuthill

Peter Lawrence wrote:

At the PMA today, Kodak announced changes to its professional color
and black & white negative film product lines:

Here's a link to Kodak's press release:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/pres...40212-05.shtml

It might be more accurate to say "Kodak discontinues Portra 400BW"
because both T400CN and 400BW are being replaced by BW400CN.

Ultra Color 400 might be a simple repackaging of Portra 400UC, or
it might not. Datasheet PGI has increased from 40 to 42.

Hopefully new Ultra Color 100 will provide a nice replacement for
Royal Gold 100 and Supra 100. Too soon to tell.

Portra 800 is the fourth new or revised pro film. Kodak had said
there would be 4 pro films announced at PMA.

Old February 16th 04, 01:31 AM
Barrett Benton

In article ,
(Peter Lawrence) wrote:

At the PMA today, Kodak announced changes to its professional color
and black & white negative film product lines:

Here's a link to Kodak's press release:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/pres...40212-05.shtml

- Peter

"Film alternatives"...ouch. ;-)

At any rate, the new film introductions sound good; looking forward to
trying the UC 100 and Portra 800 particularly.

--
BWB
_______________________
Old February 18th 04, 06:27 AM
DM

*sigh* I've given up on Kodak. Just when you get used to the characteristics
of a particular film, they discontinue it and bring out something else,
which is typically no improvement over the earlier product.

Old February 18th 04, 07:20 AM
Roy

On 2/12/04 6:39 PM, in article
, "Peter Lawrence"
wrote:

At the PMA today, Kodak announced changes to its professional color
and black & white negative film product lines:

Here's a link to Kodak's press release:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/pres...40212-05.shtml

- Peter

Interesting...the new Ultra Color 100 has a Print Grain Index of 31 while
their existing High Definition 200 has a Print Grain Index of 32...not much
of a difference considering the speed difference. The former Royal Gold 100
had a Print Grain Index of 28...

Old February 18th 04, 06:28 PM
Bill Tuthill

DM wrote:
*sigh* I've given up on Kodak. Just when you get used to the characteristics
of a particular film, they discontinue it and bring out something else,
which is typically no improvement over the earlier product.

Ektachrome 100G and Portra 400UC were significant improvements over earlier
products that they replaced (if you think of 400UC as replacing Supra).

Roy wrote:

Interesting...the new Ultra Color 100 has a Print Grain Index of 31 while
their existing High Definition 200 has a Print Grain Index of 32...not much
of a difference considering the speed difference. The former Royal Gold 100
had a Print Grain Index of 28...

Kodak's amateur films (and HD200 is billed as an amateur film in the USA)
generally have PGI scores about 10-20% lower than they should, when compared
to the PGI of professional films. So this might be 31 versus 35-38. I found
HD200 very grainy for green, less so for blue, with commendably fine grained
reds, yellows, and skin tones. But it can't touch Reala.

Old February 19th 04, 06:37 PM
Frank Pittel

That's why I've given up on Kodak for color print film. As soon as I got used
to a film they discontinue it and recommend another type of film. I get used to
that and they change it again. Years ago I switched to Fuji's NPS-160 and have never
looked back. For B&W and slide film I still use Kodak though.

: