Left handed SLR

Old August 14th 04, 03:25 PM
George

Default Left handed SLR

Hello and my first post here is a question.

Q: I am looking to buy a SLR film camera as a 21st birthday present for
my daughter and she has an interest in photography.
BUT she is VERY left-handed and finds that cameras including
digital ones seem to be biased to right-handed people.
Is there a camera that has the majority of controls on the left of
the body?????

Thanks

George

Old August 14th 04, 03:28 PM
Skip M

The only cameras I ever handled that was fully left handed were my old
Exactas, long out of production. I found it handy, since I am left eyed.
It took me a while to get used to Canon's way of doing things, I kept
poking myself in the eye with the winding lever...;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old August 14th 04, 06:59 PM
Phil Stripling

"George" writes:

Is there a camera that has the majority of controls on the left of
the body?????

Hi, George,

The answer is no. I'm left-handed and left-eyed, and I sympathize with our
common plight, but she's going to have to bite the bullet and use plain ol'
cameras, just like the rest of us.

My alltime favorite camera, by the bye, is the Nikonos I, II, and
III. Lovely controls set up for the right-handers but which are simple and
easy to use, and provide no hindrance to southpaws. Unfortunately, those
cameras are fully mechanical, fully manual, ancient, are not SLRs, have to
be focussed by guess, have no exposure meter, and so on. Great cameras, but
I've worn out the two I had, and I'm not willing even to suggest them to
others because they're so old.

Your daughter's living in a right-handed world, and the sad fact of life
is, she's going to have to deal with it. My suggestion is that she try out
various cameras until she finds the one that fits most nearly to her, then
rent that for a weekend and see how it feels. If you have a rental company
close by, it can save buying 2 or 3 cameras and learning from the
mistakes. If she wants to be a photographer, she's going to have to learn
to judge and evaluate her gear based on her needs and expected uses. Let
her make her mistakes and learn from them.

Old August 14th 04, 07:14 PM
Chris Loffredo

George wrote:
Hello and my first post here is a question.

Q: I am looking to buy a SLR film camera as a 21st birthday present for
my daughter and she has an interest in photography.
BUT she is VERY left-handed and finds that cameras including
digital ones seem to be biased to right-handed people.
Is there a camera that has the majority of controls on the left of
the body?????

I'd certainly advise an Exakta (if she is willing to do things the right
way (no pun intended)- i.e. manual everything!).

Some of the best lenses ever (and still excellent by today's standards)
were made for that camera. Some you can get for bargain prices.

Also the camera is a jewel in itself; 1930's style chrome and aesthetics
(go for a Varex (Vx) or a Varex IIa (VX IIa) with engraved or embossed
nameplate).

Your daughter certainly won't forget that gift (for good or for bad)!

Chris

Old August 15th 04, 04:26 AM
Dan

"George" wrote in message
Hello and my first post here is a question.

Q: I am looking to buy a SLR film camera as a 21st birthday present for
my daughter and she has an interest in photography.
BUT she is VERY left-handed and finds that cameras including
digital ones seem to be biased to right-handed people.
Is there a camera that has the majority of controls on the left of
the body?????

Thanks

George

Here are a few Contax Models that fit the bill.
http://www.cdegroot.com/photo/contax/

Dan

Old August 15th 04, 05:55 PM
Duncan Ross

Although the controls are largely on the right the Ricoh XR-X can be operated
with left-hand shutter release, the self timer button on the left can be
reconfigured as the shutter button.