Digital camera with GPS capability

Old October 23rd 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

Default Digital camera with GPS capability

During my recent trip in the wilderness, our corporate sponsor
organization brought a digital camera which is equipped with GPS
insert. Each photos will have the coordinates of the location where
it was taken, and is shown at the bottom of each picture. The camera
is a Caplio Ricoh Pro G3. I think the camera is a few years old, as I
recall that it was also available during my previous trips. However, I
could not find this particular camera model in the web. They have
shown the G3, but I wonder about the difference between them (Pro G#
vs. G3). I also recall that the new Ricoh 500SE is GPS ready. I also
heard about the new Pentax Optio WPi, which can also be used to record
GPS.
What about other brand name cameras, such as Nikon and Canon? Do they
all have the capabilities to receive coordinate data from a GPS
transmitter nearby (via blue tooth or infra red), or in the case of
Caplio Pro G3, it was some kind of GPS card receiver inserted directly
in the special chamber in the camera. Anyone knows whether other
professional digital cameras have this capability?
Thanks for info.

Old October 23rd 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Sosumi

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Nikon has several. The new D3 also has it. Canon also, I think. Cheaper to
buy a seperate GPS, look and note the coordinates and presto! Saves you a
few thousand ;-)))

Old October 23rd 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Pat

On Oct 22, 7:52 pm, wrote:
[...]

I haven't searched for one lately, but such cameras are pretty
standard in real estate appraisal, real estate assesment, GIS and
related industries. Search in that area and you should find a few.

Also, most also have the capability to know what direction you are
facing and the angle. It doesn't just say "you are here" but it also
says "you are looking that-a-way".

Old October 23rd 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Mr. Strat

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Just what digital cameras need - another useless feature.
Old October 23rd 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

On Oct 22, 8:17 pm, "Mr. Strat" wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:
[...]

Whether you like it or not, the future will include embedded GPS in
every photos, so that they can be mapped individually to create a 3D
space. I am not sure if you are a fan of Microsoft, but check their
futuristic plan for 3D digital photo application in photosynth at
http://labs.live.com/photosynth
Someone in our office showed that application to us the other day, and
you can show a 3D image of a site (example - a mining site or a
proposed airport, or a dam), and each of the photos taken in the area
will be part of a mosaic of photos taken at the various coordinates
within that 3D view of the site. At least this will be the future
direction where MS wants us to explore in term of digital photography.
It can be a collection of your own photos taken in various part of the
city where you live, or various place around the globe where you
travelled. I assume, that instead storing the photos in a folder (1
dimension) in a computer, you store them in a virtual world storage
space called "earth" or "name of City", or "name of project", and they
are all stored in the right coordinates (3D).

Old October 23rd 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet

You don't want GPS builtin. Why? Because it is going to be mediocre at best.
It isn't an overly useful function if it takes 3 or 4 minutes for it to find
the salellites, It also isn't very useful if it keeps loosing those
satellites. You want something that is going to work and work well you want
to invest in a good GPS system one that connects fast and can remain
connected even under trees, unvalleies, in cities with buildings all around,
etc. Just make sure that it can export the waypoint data and then you take
that with one of the many free or for cost programs that will take that data
compare the information to your photos and then embedd the data in to the
images.

Any camera that has GPS built-in is going to have a really poor one. Besides
there aren't that many, three that I know of two are now obsolete and were
Richo which I wouldn't touch with someone elses hand. The third one I don't
know what brand it was. It might have been a nikon or something.

The Spider

Old October 23rd 07, 09:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Willy Eckerslyke

Mr. Strat wrote:

Just what digital cameras need - another useless feature.

That's a matter of opinion. Having spent quite a few days working out
the grid references for upwards of 15,000 aerial photos, I could really
use a GPS system that worked well. Trouble is, none that I've seen can
accurately locate the subject area as opposed to the camera's position
which may be half a mile away.
http://www.pixaerial.com
Old October 23rd 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
John Blessing

wrote in message ...
You don't want GPS builtin. Why? Because it is going to be mediocre at
best. It isn't an overly useful function if it takes 3 or 4 minutes for it
to find the salellites, It also isn't very useful if it keeps loosing
those satellites. You want something that is going to work and work well
you want to invest in a good GPS system one that connects fast and can
remain connected even under trees, unvalleies, in cities with buildings
all around, etc. Just make sure that it can export the waypoint data and
then you take that with one of the many free or for cost programs that
will take that data compare the information to your photos and then embedd
the data in to the images.

e.g. http://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/

Of course, I doubt any add-on GPS/software can tell what you are focussing
on in relation to the camera position.

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.
http://www.lbetoolbox.com - Remove Duplicates from MS Outlook, find/replace,
send newsletters

Old October 23rd 07, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ron Hunter

Pat wrote:
On Oct 22, 7:52 pm, wrote:
[...]

That seems to be essential to the purpose. One of the serious faults of
most low cost GPS receivers is the lack of a compass feature.