DX6490 question-thumbwheel left side of view finder

Old July 14th 04, 03:45 PM
Howard

Default DX6490 question-thumbwheel left side of view finder

finally got one (NEW AT STAPLES) and generally below the auction prices
from EBAY where the re-furb part is usually well hidden or obfuscated, and
of course NO INFLATED SHIPPING/HANDLING CHARGES... well anyway.
After most else failed, I RTFM and still could find NO REFERENCE to the
small finger wheel on the left of the view finder?
I am guessing a DIOPTER????? HEY RON.....help me out!

the 38/380 zoom is outstanding (reason I bought is as my older dx4900 4MP is
fine), and I have a few shot without a tripod in the kitchen at both ends of
the zoom........NEED TO CLEAN A BIT MORE CAREFULLY.damn the 380 zoom

Howard

--

In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER:
THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!

Old July 14th 04, 03:51 PM
Justin Thyme

"Howard" wrote in message

After most else failed, I RTFM and still could find NO REFERENCE to the
small finger wheel on the left of the view finder?
I am guessing a DIOPTER????? HEY RON.....help me out!

yep you guessed correct :-)

Old July 14th 04, 09:03 PM
Ron Hunter

Howard wrote:
finally got one (NEW AT STAPLES) and generally below the auction prices
from EBAY where the re-furb part is usually well hidden or obfuscated, and
of course NO INFLATED SHIPPING/HANDLING CHARGES... well anyway.
After most else failed, I RTFM and still could find NO REFERENCE to the
small finger wheel on the left of the view finder?
I am guessing a DIOPTER????? HEY RON.....help me out!

the 38/380 zoom is outstanding (reason I bought is as my older dx4900 4MP is
fine), and I have a few shot without a tripod in the kitchen at both ends of
the zoom........NEED TO CLEAN A BIT MORE CAREFULLY.damn the 380 zoom

Howard

I believe you have correctly surmised the use of that wheel, but I
couldn't find reference to it in the manual either.
Old July 15th 04, 06:33 PM
Ron Hunter

Greg wrote:

"Howard" wrote in message ...

finally got one (NEW AT STAPLES) and generally below the auction prices
from EBAY where the re-furb part is usually well hidden or obfuscated, and
of course NO INFLATED SHIPPING/HANDLING CHARGES... well anyway.
After most else failed, I RTFM and still could find NO REFERENCE to the
small finger wheel on the left of the view finder?
I am guessing a DIOPTER????? HEY RON.....help me out!

the 38/380 zoom is outstanding (reason I bought is as my older dx4900 4MP is
fine), and I have a few shot without a tripod in the kitchen at both ends of
the zoom........NEED TO CLEAN A BIT MORE CAREFULLY.damn the 380 zoom

Howard

I believe you are referring to what they call the Jog Dial. It has to
do with changing settings, on the fly more or less, when in Manual
Mode using the EVF. While in manual operation it allows for quick
settings changes so you don't have to put the camera down and go
through the menu's. Look in the Manual under the PASM Mode chapter.
Toward the end there's a section for "Using the Jog Dial to Change
PASM Mode Settings". Hope this helps.

Nope. The jog dial is in the front, on the right (as you are behind the
camera), and below the shutter button.