Polarizer filter

Old March 21st 04, 11:39 PM
Zsolt

Default Polarizer filter

Hello,

I'm a newby to photography and trying to buy some accessories to my camera. I have a Minolta Dimage S414 digital camera.
Right now, I'm about to buy some polarizer filters. However, I can't decide: linear or circular? Somewhere I read that linear polarizers are only for older cameras, with digital you should use circular. In a digital camera how-to book I found that circular polarizer is a bad choice for a digital camera. Which is true?? Do you have any suggestions?
Any suggestions for brands? Right now I've found Tiffen and Hoya in the price range I'm planning to spend...
Thanks for any ideas,

Zsolt

Old March 22nd 04, 12:19 AM
Bob Salomon

In article , Zsolt
wrote:

Hello,

I'm a newby to photography and trying to buy some accessories to my camera. I
have a Minolta Dimage S414 digital camera.
Right now, I'm about to buy some polarizer filters. However, I can't decide:
linear or circular? Somewhere I read that linear polarizers are only for
older cameras, with digital you should use circular. In a digital camera
how-to book I found that circular polarizer is a bad choice for a digital
camera. Which is true?? Do you have any suggestions?
Any suggestions for brands? Right now I've found Tiffen and Hoya in the price
range I'm planning to spend...
Thanks for any ideas,

Zsolt

If your camera utilizes a beam splitter in the optical system for either
metering, focusing or the finder display you need a circular. If it
doesn't you can use a linear.

in other words a linear will not work properly with all types of
cameras. A linear will work with any camera.

However, as you do not seem to know, you should ask your camera
manufacturer which type to use.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old March 22nd 04, 12:20 AM
Bob Salomon

In article , Zsolt
wrote:

I'm about to buy some polarizer filters

Why some?

There are regular polarizers, warmtone polarizers, wide angle
polarizers, etc. Why do you need more then one with a fixed lens camera?

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old March 22nd 04, 12:52 AM
Phil Stripling

Zsolt writes:

Right now, I'm about to buy some polarizer filters. However, I can't

What problem do you expect to solve with these polarizer filters?
Old March 22nd 04, 01:15 AM
;o\)-max-

"Zsolt"
Hello,

I'm a newby to photography and trying to buy some accessories to my camera. I have a

Minolta Dimage S414 digital camera.
Right now, I'm about to buy some polarizer filters. However, I can't decide: linear or

circular? Somewhere I read that linear polarizers are only for older cameras, with digital
you should use circular. In a digital camera how-to book I found that circular polarizer
is a bad choice for a digital camera. Which is true?? Do you have any suggestions?
Any suggestions for brands? Right now I've found Tiffen and Hoya in the price range I'm

planning to spend...
Thanks for any ideas,

Zsolt

Get a circular you will be on tha safe side, they work on all
cameras, don't worry, that book has made a mistake.
Which brand, either will do the job fine, there are special
effects polarizers too. ;o)-max-

Old March 22nd 04, 01:23 AM
Sampson

"Phil Stripling" wrote in message
Zsolt writes:

Right now, I'm about to buy some polarizer filters. However, I can't

What problem do you expect to solve with these polarizer filters?

Phil are you saying that software can do it now and no need for a
polarizer? I have read this is the case from some but have also been
wondering if this is really true.

Sampson

Old March 22nd 04, 01:39 AM
Sampson

Default Polarizer filter - Heliopan-polarizer-w_990.jpg (1/1)

"Bob Salomon" wrote in message

Zsolt writes:

Right now, I'm about to buy some polarizer filters. However, I can't

What problem do you expect to solve with these polarizer filters?
--
Philip Stripling | email to the replyto address is

presumed
Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to

philip@

Phil are you saying that software can do it now and no need for a
polarizer? I have read this is the case from some but have also been
wondering if this is really true.

Sampson

It is nonsense.

A polariser, among other uses, will remove glare. That will be very time
consuming and difficult to do in software. And why waste the time.

That is what I was pretty sure of but have not spent a lot of time with PS.
I was actually thinking of some shots I took with and without at the beach
where parts of the distant Caribbean Ocean were a deeper darker blue while
fish near the shore could be seen swimming just beneath the shallow water
but got just a reflection with no filter.

Sampson

Old March 22nd 04, 01:43 AM
Bob Salomon

In article str7c.53443$JL2.716653@attbi_s03,
"Sampson" wrote:

fish near the shore could be seen swimming just beneath the shallow water
but got just a reflection with no filter.

Then don't let anyone try to tell you that shot could be rescued by
software. Get it when you take it. It makes photography, film, digital,
video or movie, much, much, simpler.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old March 22nd 04, 01:54 AM
Sampson

"Sampson" wrote:

fish near the shore could be seen swimming just beneath the shallow

water
but got just a reflection with no filter.

Then don't let anyone try to tell you that shot could be rescued by
software. Get it when you take it. It makes photography, film, digital,
video or movie, much, much, simpler.

I agree 100%. This is probably why I have not imagined any real use for
Photo editing SW other then the basic slight enhancements to well composed
and executed photography. I read posts from the PS heavy hitters that make
we wonder if there really was photography before the computer age. Ya, I
know, PS is a great piece of SW but I am not speaking in special effects or
graphic arts.

Sampson

Old March 22nd 04, 02:13 AM
Ken Weitzel

Phil Stripling wrote:
Zsolt writes:

Right now, I'm about to buy some polarizer filters. However, I can't

What problem do you expect to solve with these polarizer filters?

Hi...

I'm not the original poster, but I've been watching
hoping that I'll find the answers I too would like
before spring...

What I want one for is to take the white glare that
every so often appears on the surface of the lake...

Ken