cannon i950

Old October 13th 04, 12:00 AM
M@ Brereton

Default cannon i950

I am printing on a Cannon i950 from two different computers both using
adobe photoshop 7.0. From the PC the pictures are fine. However, from
my laptop they are completely magenta. I have calibrated the printer
nozzeles and am lots as to what the problem might be.

Matt
Old October 13th 04, 05:08 AM
Gary Eickmeier

M@ Brereton wrote:
I am printing on a Cannon i950 from two different computers both using
adobe photoshop 7.0. From the PC the pictures are fine. However, from
my laptop they are completely magenta. I have calibrated the printer
nozzeles and am lots as to what the problem might be.

Drivers.

Gary Eickmeier

Old October 13th 04, 05:59 AM
bmoag

Trust me on this one-- somewhere in your laptop method if you are using
Photoshop to print you are using color management twice, in both the
Photoshop and the Canon drivers. The pink cast is absolutely classic: a
lesson learned from bitter personal experience.
The procedures for color management with Canon 900 series printers is not
clear and does not mirror the Epson protocol, which is somewhat more
intuitive. In fact had I not gotten detailed instructions from Canon
directly I would have never figured it out because the procedure is not
mentioned anywhere in the manuals that came with my Canon 900 series printer
and is totally unintuitive, particulary if you are used to Epson printers.
If you Email Canon support they are very good about responding, although you
do need to know some fundamentals about color management in Photoshop. Canon
is so backward about how to implement color management in the 900 series
printer drivers that it can ruin the use of printers that are capable of
absolutely stunning results.

Old October 13th 04, 02:07 PM
Gary Eickmeier

bmoag wrote:

[...]

I don't really get this - if he installs the Canon printer properly, and
doesn't use some esoteric color management when he prints, it should
just print the picture normally. He would have to be purposely using the
printer differently with the laptop, which doesn't seem likely, unless
it accidentally has a color management profile selected that he doesn't
know about and hasn't gone thru all the tabs...

Gary Eickmeier

Old October 13th 04, 10:09 PM
Olin K. McDaniel

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:07:12 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
wrote:

bmoag wrote:

[...]

Realizing this may be of NO help, I'd like to inject another
possibility. I have been using without any of this sort of trouble a
Canon i950 for over a year now. And I can print color images from a
variety of programs, with PhotoShop being just one of several. The
same Canon drivers that I installed in my two operating systems (both
on the same computer, with selective bootup) are used for everything.
So, as another possibility - check out your USB port and/or its
associated drivers on the laptop. Will be interested in what you
find.

Olin McDaniel

Old October 13th 04, 11:18 PM
Ryadia

Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

Realizing this may be of NO help, I'd like to inject another
possibility. I have been using without any of this sort of trouble a
Canon i950 for over a year now. And I can print color images from a
variety of programs, with PhotoShop being just one of several. The
same Canon drivers that I installed in my two operating systems (both
on the same computer, with selective bootup) are used for everything.
So, as another possibility - check out your USB port and/or its
associated drivers on the laptop. Will be interested in what you
find.

Olin McDaniel

The problem is in colour management. No question about that... At all!

Either the PC is set to let PS manage the colour, not the printer or...
The laptop is. Either way, it is vitally important that colour
management is only done by Photoshop (preferred by Pros) or the printer
(for the rest of us).

The way to discover how the PC is doing it is to choose "print with
preview" of an image from the file menu and look in the advance area to
see if the colour is "same as source" or something else. "Same as
source" lets the printer do the management. Anything else has Photoshop
send the printer "modified" data. If you use "same as source" then your
workspace should be either Adobe RGB (Pros) or sRGB (others).

If PS controls colour management, the printer has to be told NOT to
manage colour or the dreaded Magenta cast surfaces. There are numerous
posts about the magenta cast to prints from Photoshop, dating back
years. All of them are eventually fixed by colour management.

In time past I have recommended people with this problem "turn off
colour management" in PS. Now I realize that a lot of people either
didn't believe me or don't know how so my advise now is different:

If you use Photoshop, be aware it is a Professional level program. If
you are not a Professional or advanced amature, there are simpler
programs around that do not require as much knowledge as Photoshop does
to get it working properly - Such as Photoshop Elements or Corel Photo
paint, which will probably suit you better and cost a lot less.
So basically I'm saying; Learn how to manage your colour or give it up.
Some people are lucky and stumble into a system that works OK. Most are
not that lucky!

Ryadia