Need advice for Sony digital camera use

Old October 22nd 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Rad17

Default Need advice for Sony digital camera use

I have a Sony DSC-P93, great camera, shoots great photos and video clips, BUT.....

I'm having an ongoing problem that I can't figure out. We go to Disney World fairly often, and I use this camera all over the place over there. Pictures are great except at the concerts at Epcot. A couple of times a year Epcot brings in bands like Kansas, Davy Jones, 3 Dog Night, etc. etc.

*Every time* I try to get photos of the performers during these concerts, the images come out "fuzzed" or blurred. Photos taken elsewhere in the park, before and after these concerts, are perfect. And, the video clips of the performers taken with this camera come out just fine also.

My question: Is it possible that the electronics used for the concerts (wireless mics, amps, etc.) are interfering somehow with the camera's operation? I've tried all kinds of different camera settings and the same thing keeps happening (but I would think that it would be affecting the videos as well, which it doesn't). This also happens with another, cheaper digital camera that I have, so it's not unique to the Sony.

Anyone ever have this type of problem with a digital camera? ANY advice or info appreciated! Thanks....

Old October 22nd 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Paul Heslop

Rad17 wrote:

[...]

I've never been there but I am assuming the concerts are in the dark
with stage lights?

Digital cameras have ISO settings for a start. If your cam is set to
auto and tries to compensate for low light it will probably go for ISO
400, and that can look fuzzy. There is also a chance that the amount
of time needed for the shot is longer and therefore it's easier to get
a soft image or blurred. I'm just throwing a few what ifs in here as i
don't own the cam and am not a tech head :O)

Steve's digicams points out that the flash on that cam is quite
limited

"I was pleased with the P93's indoor results. Because of the limited
flash range (11.5 feet) and limited field of view provided at the
camera's 38mm wide angle focal length, you'll obtain the best indoor
results when shooting portraits of individuals or small groups; the
flash is simply not powerful enough to illuminate a large room.
Portraits using flash were well exposed and produced natural skin
tones; red eyes were effectively eliminated using the flash red eye
reduction mode. The P93 is equipped with a focus-assist lamp which it
uses automatically when needed; as a result its low light autofocus
performance is exceptional. Closeup macro shots with the flash were
excellent as the camera "throttles down" the flash for nearly perfect
exposures every time; the P93 would be a good choice for shooting
close-up images of small objects for inclusion in online auction
listings"

Anyway, if you don't get any constructive help here pop in to
rec.photo.digital and ask about it in there, it's a much busier group.

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Old October 30th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
RichG

Just guessing here..but...I also have a Sony ( different model).

It has a digital zoom mode (in addition to its optical zoom mode) that
AUTOMATICALLY kicks in when the optical zoom isn't sufficient for the job.
Is it possible that your digital mode is kicking in? It is generally
thought that a digital zoom mode is going to be blurry...when compared to a
similar sized optical mode zoom.

There is a setting to take off the "smart zoom mode".
RichG TX/Il

--
http://groups.msn.com/DigitalPhotographyClub
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Old November 17th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
RichG

1. Digital zoom just makes the existing pixels appear larger, therefore
fuzzy when viewed.

2. Optical zoom actually moves the image itself onto the camera larger ( as
if you walked closer to the subject with camera in hand) ..and the picture
is as good as the camera can display.

3. If the camera --automatically-- adds DIGITAL zoom to make pictures
bigger, they will appear fuzzier ( which was the original complaint).

If the operator turns OFF the "automatic digital zoom" feature...the object
won't get any larger in the screen than the camera can clearly display, but
any display will be of higher quality than a similar display using mostly
digital zoom..

I hope this explanation is somewhat clearer....regards, RichG

Old November 18th 06, 08:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

In article ,
RichG wrote:

1. Digital zoom just makes the existing pixels appear larger, therefore
fuzzy when viewed.

Digital "zoom" is nothing more than a marketing scam.

Old November 18th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
RichG

No argument here....RG