Why ZLR?

Old July 7th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default Why ZLR?

Canao S2IS and S3IS has a Super Macro mode where you can focus as close as
you can put the lens.
It also has a tilting LCD-screen so you can see what you aim at, which can
be handy for macros.
NB, Super Macro is not working in Auto Mode.
/per

Old July 7th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

per wrote:
Canao S2IS and S3IS has a Super Macro mode where you can focus as
close as you can put the lens.
It also has a tilting LCD-screen so you can see what you aim at,
which can be handy for macros.
NB, Super Macro is not working in Auto Mode.
/per

A more useful measure might be what field width you can achieve with a
front-illuminated subject. I, for one, would be somewhat reluctant to let
an object touch the surface of the lens.

David

Old July 8th 06, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,news.misc.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

So far, the Sony H5 impressed me the most. 3" high resolution display,
manual controls, rapid fire. It does not have the tilt display. The Canon
S3 has a tilt display, yet the display is tiny. I could not find a P&S with
a 3" display and manual controls.

Yes, using a DSLR for macro photos can be a pain (literally). It might be
to your advantage to look at those cameras which have the tilt and rotate
LCD screens. They can be quite useful if your macro work requires holding
your camera low, or high in order to get the desired subject. In non
macro applications, I find the viewfinder much more practical than trying
to see an LCD in bright sunlight, for instance.

Old July 8th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

I looked at the S2 and the S3, and I read about them. Unfortunately, their
LCD display is very small, so I will have to do much guessing while taking
shots. The Sony H5 has a huge display, yet it does not tilt.

Old July 8th 06, 03:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,news.misc.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:30:12 GMT
"Talal Itani" wrote:

So far, the Sony H5 impressed me the most. 3" high resolution
display, manual controls, rapid fire. It does not have the tilt
display. The Canon S3 has a tilt display, yet the display is tiny.
I could not find a P&S with a 3" display and manual controls.

The makers may figure that a huge display appeals mostly to snap-
shooters who don't want manual controls. It is nice that Sony put
230k pixels in that big LCD. I consider the 2" 230k LCD on my FZ30
to be quite luxurious. I'll use the tilt display now and then when
I put the camera upside down on the bottom end of my tripod for
shooting wildflowers close to the ground.

Paul Allen