Film Scanner

Old February 21st 04, 05:41 AM
Claudia Engel

Default Film Scanner

Since I cannot afford digital equipment (nor do I have any particular
desire to use it at the present time), I was curious about film
scanners. I've seen *nothing* so far that is capable of handling 4x5
film. Perhaps I've not looked well enough, but I wonder if anyone might
be able to recommend, based on experience, a film scanner that can
handle everything from 35mm through 4x5? What kinds of pricing am I
looking at here (that's the part I really don't want to think about...)

Thanks.

--
Bis bald und alles Gute!
Old February 21st 04, 10:42 AM
Jukka-Pekka Suominen

Claudia Engel wrote:

Since I cannot afford digital equipment (nor do I have any particular
desire to use it at the present time), I was curious about film
scanners. I've seen *nothing* so far that is capable of handling 4x5
film. Perhaps I've not looked well enough, but I wonder if anyone might
be able to recommend, based on experience, a film scanner that can
handle everything from 35mm through 4x5? What kinds of pricing am I
looking at here (that's the part I really don't want to think about...)

If you cannot afford digital equipment, you probably can't afford a
dedicated 4x5 film scanner either, but you might want to look at Epson's
3200 or the new 4870 (?) flatbed scanners that come with adapters for
scanning film in sizes from 35mm to 4x5 (actually I think the film
scanning area is 4x9 inches, there are just no adapters). The 3200 model
should be a fairly good deal these days now that the newer model has
been released. You might want to google for some user opinions on these,
though.

-JP

Old February 29th 04, 12:50 AM
K Feindel

Minolta has several scanners available that scan 16 mm, 35 mm, and medium
format.

Check ebay for the Scan Multi, you should be able to find something for
$400 US

there are several different models I believe.

I think the newest scan multi pro retails for about $3000 US

om...