Recovering altered jpegs

Old August 17th 04, 05:00 PM
John Tomasi

Default Recovering altered jpegs

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to recover an original jpeg file after changing it and
(accidentally) hitting the save button?

My situation is this ... After adjusting the levels on a jpeg, I
intended to save it in a lossless tiff format. However, I mistakenly
saved it as a jpeg. I know that saving changes to a jpeg degrades the
image, so I was wondering if the original, undegraded image was
floating around in a temp folder somewhere.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

John Tomasi
Old August 17th 04, 05:31 PM
JustaPawn

Is it possible to recover an original jpeg file after changing it and
(accidentally) hitting the save button?

Well, if you're using Photoshop, and you haven't quit the file, you can go back
to when you opened it or any place in between with the history palette.
Old August 17th 04, 05:58 PM
Pete

On 17 Aug 2004 16:31:38 GMT, JustaPawn wrote:

Well, if you're using Photoshop, and you haven't quit the file, you can go back
to when you opened it or any place in between with the history palette.

.... or with almost any editor, simply use Undo until you get back to the
original version, then Save As.

Old August 17th 04, 06:36 PM
John Tomasi

Thanks for your responses, JustaPawn and Pete.

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that because jpegs are lossy,
everytime you click the "save" button, your image will lose data from
your image. So, if I travelled back on the history palette and saved it
again, I'd degrade the jpeg even further than if I just left it as is.

I'm happy with the changes I made to the photo, so that's not the issue.
The issue is the quality of the image file.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking this. Is saving a jpeg once or twice that
big a deal in terms of file quality?

Old August 17th 04, 07:44 PM
IMKen

This is the reason I always work on a duplicate of the image rather than the
original. First thing to do when you open an image for editing is duplicate
it and close the original.

Ken

om...

Old August 17th 04, 08:06 PM
James Silverton

"IMKen" wrote in message
This is the reason I always work on a duplicate of the image rather

than the
original. First thing to do when you open an image for editing is

duplicate
it and close the original.

Ken

You can go the opposite route by making the folder read-only which
will enforce renaming or releasing.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA