Film Scanning

Old January 13th 05, 02:13 PM
VG

Default Film Scanning

I think you are pushing your luck to expect reasonable quality from a
heavily cropped image at 11x14.
I normally attempt to create an image which for a given size, will be
indicated in Photoshop as having a resolution of around 300dpi. This will
give pretty good results.
Consider this. A 35mm negative measures approximately 1.5 inches along its
widest side. If you scan at 3200dpi,this will produce 4800 dots. If you
intend to print at 10x8, then divide 4800 by 10, which equals 480, and this
is the horizontal resolution of your picture as indicated in Photoshop.
By the time you crop your image, this resolution will have decreased. You
can see the actual figure in PS by clicking on 'Image/Image Size'. By
increasing the image size you will see the dpi decrease.
If you crop your picture to half its original size you will finish up with
only half the dpi. Therefore to print at 10x8 the dpi would be 240, and for
an 14x11 it would be 171 (not terribly good)
I have found, that general speaking you can get away with around 200dpi if
you are not hyper critical, but the image will not be as sharp.

I am not totaly clear how image size in PS relates to the dpi of the
printer, but trust that my earlier comments help.

V.G.

"measekite" wrote in message
. ..
I have an Espon 4180 flatbed film scanner that I am happy with. I am
scanning Fuji negative film at 24bit - 3200 dpi. I then edit and crop
the results in Photoshop. Sometimes I crop a horizontal photo to print
as a portrait. In that instance the cropping is severe.

I want to be able to print at least as large as 8x10 and occasionally

11x14.

The scanning takes a long time. I also have to reduce the pixel count
to print on my 1200 dpi Canon IP4000 printer.

QUESTION: Is it necessary to scan at 3200 dpi or can I get the same
results with much lower dpi. If so what is the best dpi to scan without
loosing any quality in the above situation.