transferring or printing photos to canvas

Old March 13th 05, 01:10 PM
M Wayne

Default transferring or printing photos to canvas

I want to have some digital photos printed onto canvas - how much does this
usually cost, say for a 16x20 canvas print? Also, is there any way to do
this myself (since I just have an inkjet printer, I imagine it would have to
be some sort of transfer technique)?

Thanks...

Old March 16th 05, 07:24 AM
zeitgeist

I want to have some digital photos printed onto canvas - how much does

this
usually cost, say for a 16x20 canvas print? Also, is there any way to do
this myself (since I just have an inkjet printer, I imagine it would have

be some sort of transfer technique)?

with many of the larger format, (perhaps the smaller ones too) you can buy
canvas that will run through the inkjet. But you have to work on your
color management profiles as that stuff sucks up ink

However, from what I've seen, that stuff looks more like cloth, reminds me
of that "silk" finish that was popular in the 70's (mostly cause it make
copying very difficult) and just doesn't look nor feel like actual canvas.

Costco once offered it for 50 or 60 bucks for a 16x20 stretched.

The traditional way was to strip the backing layer of plastic resin off the
back of the photo paper and mounting to a rough weave canvas. It took a
serious mounting press, those counter top ones just didn't do it, you really
needed a vacuum press that could do a couple thousand pounds of pressure per
square inch, with just enough heat to soften the emulsion which was just a
few degrees below what it took to boil the emulsion. But if you did it
right then the image was bonded to the fibers, you could see the threads of
the cords of string.

I used to budget $200 for one with custom print, retouching, mounting and
lacquer.