D200 owners, pls do a test for me (and for yourselves)

Old August 30th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default D200 owners, pls do a test for me (and for yourselves)

Hi all,

I have had a D200 for about eight months, and while I generally love it, it
has been plagued with a disturbing number of problems.

First was the long banding--I believe they replaced the sensor to fix that,
but afterward pixels started dying. First I had three dead pixels remapped,
then two months later I found about 20 new ones, which were remapped. Now, a
month later I am finding more. Has anyone else experienced anything like
this?

But the latest and greatest weirdness became apparent recently when I tried
to do a longish exposure--about 3 minutes--of the African night sky. I was
shocked to find that all four corners and the top of the frame were luminous
pink--looking like light-struck film. And the whole frame was studded with
scores of dead-looking pixels of different sizes in white, red and blue. But
they weren't dead; at shorter exposure times they behaved normally, with
more and more being "blown out" and luminescing as the exposure lengthened.
There were a few at 30 secs., more at one minute, and a whole lot more at 3
mins. I didn't have the courage to test further...Likewise the pink fringing
started at about 1 minute and grew progressively worse at longer exposure
times.

Obviously this is going back to Nikon, but I am wondering how many D200
exemplars might suffer from this kind of defect, which is not obvious in
most shooting situations. If you have a D200 and the time and inclination
please try this: Go in a dark room, put a body cap on to stop any light from
entering at the front, and perhaps the cap on the eyepiece as well, and do a
3 minute exposure at ISO 1600. I would be interested in hearing about the
results.

TIA,

Toby
Old August 30th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Adrian Boliston

My D70s has a "long exposure noise reduction" setting - have you got this
setting in use?

Old August 30th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

wrote:
[...]

Sony putting as much effort into their sensors as their batteries?

Old August 30th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Bill wrote:
I've heard of that...I think it's just too much signal gain at high ISO
settings in dark shots. Lower the ISO to a more appropriate setting.

It's because of heat coming from electronic circuits near the sensor.
Not entirely surprising after an exposure of 3 minutes at ISO 1600.

It is removed, as you say, by dark frame subtraction.

You should already know this, but those are called "hot pixels" and it's
actually normal. The longer the exposure time the more hot pixels will
show.

You have a noise reduction (NR) feature in the camera called dark frame
subtraction for long exposures. When enabled, it does a secondary
exposure without opening the shutter to get a completely dark comparison
for the previous shot. It does a decent job of removing the hot pixels
and any other anomalies.

The ISO setting has an effect on it too. For long exposures you should
be using ISO 100. Higher settings are not needed and introduce unwanted
noise. Limit high ISO shots to low light, such as indoor shots. For dark
or night shots where you have to use a tripod anyway, set the camera for
ISO 100 and get the best image quality.

Hot pixels happens with all digital cameras. It's nothing new.

The only thing of concern is the dead pixels. You shouldn't have that
many after only 8 months.