High ends Canon vs. Nikon - an observation

Old December 24th 07, 07:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, uk.rec.photo.misc, rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

Default High ends Canon vs. Nikon - an observation

I do not own both cameras. However, looking through lots of samples
available in the web, I seems to notice that photos (mostly the ones
that I observed were portraits) taken using Canon high end DSLR (1D,
1Ds,5D,10D, etc.) appear to have light or bland colors. In contrast,
Nikon high end DSLR (D1, D2, D3, D200, D300, etc) appears to produce
brighter, contrasting and rich colors. Both, however, have extremely
sharp images. Is this general observation correct, or does it just
depend on the photographer, the lens, lighting and the colors on the
subject?
Thanks for comments
Old December 24th 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, uk.rec.photo.misc, rec.photo.equipment.misc
Scott W

On Dec 23, 8:24*pm, wrote:
I do not own both cameras. However, looking through lots of samples
available in the web, I seems to notice that photos (mostly the ones
that I observed were portraits) taken using Canon high end DSLR (1D,
1Ds,5D,10D, etc.) appear to have light or bland colors. In contrast,
Nikon high end DSLR (D1, D2, D3, D200, D300, etc) appears to produce
brighter, contrasting and rich colors. Both, however, have extremely
sharp images. Is this general observation correct, or does it just
depend on the photographer, the lens, lighting and the colors on the
subject?
Thanks for comments

The contrast and saturation are fully under the control of the
photographer for either camera. It is posible that the defult is
different between them, but you don't need to use the default setting.

And with raw you can set both the contrast and saturation after the
photos have been taken.

Scott
Old December 27th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Trev

timeOday wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
timeOday wrote:
Trev wrote:
wrote:
I do not own both cameras. However, looking through lots of
samples available in the web, I seems to notice that photos
(mostly the ones that I observed were portraits) taken using
Canon high end DSLR (1D, 1Ds,5D,10D, etc.) appear to have light
or bland colors. In contrast, Nikon high end DSLR (D1, D2, D3,
D200, D300, etc) appears to produce brighter, contrasting and
rich colors. Both, however, have extremely sharp images. Is this
general observation correct, or does it just depend on the
photographer, the lens, lighting and the colors on the subject?
Thanks for comments
May be more to do with Compression for the net

Why would compression artifacts affect one brand more than the
other?

Because different brands of cameras use different logic for the
compression, and apply different parameters to the compression
process.

He said "compression for the net" which to me does not imply on-camera
processing. Images above even 1 megapixel are quite rare on the
'net.

Yep What I was trying to say is Un less you can inspect the originals There
is no way of telling the fault Banding being more a problem of low Pixel
count. IE the colours or lightness not spread evenly over the range.

--
Trev
You can always tell a Yorkshire man,

Old December 29th 07, 08:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ray Fischer

wrote:
I do not own both cameras. However, looking through lots of samples
available in the web, I seems to notice that photos (mostly the ones
that I observed were portraits) taken using Canon high end DSLR (1D,
1Ds,5D,10D, etc.) appear to have light or bland colors. In contrast,
Nikon high end DSLR (D1, D2, D3, D200, D300, etc) appears to produce
brighter, contrasting and rich colors. Both, however, have extremely
sharp images. Is this general observation correct, or does it just
depend on the photographer, the lens, lighting and the colors on the
subject?

Your observation is not correct. Contrast, color saturation, and
lightness are all highly adjustable and up to the photographers.
They are also adustable by image editing programs like Photoshop.

--
Ray Fischer