Canon S5 announced

Old May 9th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
measekite

Default Canon S5 announced

David J Taylor wrote:

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

Hi All, Canon has announced the S5 8 MP camera: http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=971 Cheers, Wayne

Thanks for that Wayne. It's on DP Review as well: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07050703canons5is.asp I wonder what happened to the S4? Perhaps "4" is an unlucky number in some country? It seems to offer little new over the S3 - no wider-angle coverage and even the EVF is stuck at a relatively poor "115,000 pixels". To me this camera, and the current Panasonic Lunix cameras, both suggest that Canon S5 IS and Panasonic FZ8 are now relatively mature and successful camera lines. Cheers, David

From my readings the FZ8 has a noise problem even at ISO80 and worse from there on up the ISO scale.  The S3 images were rated much better including lower noise.  While the noise reduction of the FZ8 was effective it blurs away find detail.

I plan on purchasing either an FZ8 or a Canon S5 within 60 days and will wait for reviews on image quality.  If the S5 has better image quality I will have to forgo the features I like on the FZ8 and they are a much better EVF,  the grid option for the EVF and the Leica lens.  However Canon lenses are pretty good as well.

The facial recognition focusing may also be a plus as well as the red eye reduction.  I am concerned about the focus speed when using long zoom.  It was an issue with the S2 and that is the reason I ruled it out.  If that is the case now then I will rule out the S5.

Like I said before the highest on the criteria list is being able to do a good crop and still get great images printed at 8.5x11.  I know that the Nikon DX40 @6mp will do that but the lens is too short and I do not want to lug around a DSLR.

Old May 9th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
measekite

David J Taylor wrote:

Allen wrote: []

An a larger LCD--2.5" vs 2". Allen

Wouldn't more pixels in the EVF have been far more useful? David

I just cannot believe (after the release of the Pan FZ8) that they had a reason not to upgrade the EVF.  I wonder what they were thinking.
Old May 9th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Garry Knight

measekite wrote:

If the S5 has better image quality I will have to forgo the features
I like on the FZ8 and they are a much better EVF, the grid option
for the EVF

You can switch the grid on for the EVF in basic view as well as information
view on the S3. I doubt that they'd remove this function from the S5.

--
Garry Knight

Old May 10th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
measekite

Garry Knight wrote:

measekite wrote:

If the S5 has better image quality I will have to forgo the features I like on the FZ8 and they are a much better EVF, the grid option for the EVF

You can switch the grid on for the EVF in basic view as well as information view on the S3. I doubt that they'd remove this function from the S5.

The Pan FZ8 has an improved EVF while the S5 is the same as your camera, the S3.  How bad is it?  Do you notice at longer zoom that the camera focuses slow or hesitates?
Old May 10th 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
David J Taylor[_2_]

measekite wrote:

If the S5 has better image quality I will have to forgo the features
I like on the FZ8 and they are a much better EVF, the grid option
for the EVF

What evidence is there that Canon have significantly changed the lens
since the S3? The Leica lenses on the Panasonics have been clearly better
in the past....

Cheers,
David

Old May 10th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
measekite

David J Taylor wrote:
measekite wrote:

If the S5 has better image quality I will have to forgo the features
I like on the FZ8 and they are a much better EVF, the grid option
for the EVF

What evidence is there that Canon have significantly changed the lens
since the S3? The Leica lenses on the Panasonics have been clearly better
in the past....

Cheers,
David

I have always believed that the Leica lenses are better. It is just
that all of the reviewers claim that the S3 had better image quality and
that noise is an issue on the FZ8. And since I want to do heavy
cropping and print letter size that issue looms larger for me. I really
like the speed, menu system, and now the EVF of the FZ8.

It remains to be seen if the facial recognition and other new features
of the S5 would be valuable for me. But image quality is the uppermost
criteria.

Old May 10th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
David J Taylor[_2_]

measekite wrote:
[]
I have always believed that the Leica lenses are better. It is just
that all of the reviewers claim that the S3 had better image quality
and that noise is an issue on the FZ8. And since I want to do heavy
cropping and print letter size that issue looms larger for me. I
really like the speed, menu system, and now the EVF of the FZ8.

It remains to be seen if the facial recognition and other new features
of the S5 would be valuable for me. But image quality is the
uppermost criteria.

If you need to do heavy cropping, I would suggest that either:

- you get nearer the subject

- you extend the zoom range

- you get a 10MP DSLR with a high-quality telephoto lens

If image quality is paramount, perhaps only a DSLR will do?

As far as I can gather, the basic image quality is very similar for any of
these small sensors (given similar area and pixel density), but some
cameras by default do more noise reduction or different noise reduction,
resulting in the reported differences in perceived quality. The
differences are subjective, depending on whether you prefer sharper
pictures with slightly more noise, or slightly less sharp pictures, with
slightly less noise! Different subjects will be a better or worse match
to different processing techniques.

Cheers,
David

Old May 11th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
Garry Knight

measekite wrote:

The Pan FZ8 has an improved EVF while the S5 is the same as your
camera, the S3. How bad is it?

I don't know. I'm used to using it. It's the first camera I've owned that
has an EVF. At 115,000 pixels, it's the same resolution as the LCD, but
looks smaller. At that resolution, it's sometimes difficult to tell if the
subject is in focus. If I'm in any doubt, I'll take the shot and then zoom
right in while reviewing it. Or I'll focus at infinity if that's
appropriate.

Do you notice at longer zoom that the camera focuses slow or hesitates?

It depends on the light conditions. When there's not much contrast, it tends
to hunt a bit. And sometimes, when I half-press the shutter release, it
takes a while then focuses, then goes out of focus and stays out of focus.
But this usually happens under conditions when I could just focus at
infinity. I don't know if the S3's AF is any worse than any other camera's
under low-contrast or low-light conditions. The only other camera I can
compare it to is my Casio EX-Z700 which seems about the same.

--
Garry Knight

Old May 11th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
measekite

David J Taylor wrote:

measekite wrote: []

[...]

The reviewers claimed that shooting in raw mode may help mitigate the noise but then you have to speed a great deal of time on all of the photos to get what you want.  I would like to see a head to head comparison of the S5 and FZ8 on image quality, exposure, focus accuracy and speed, and all of the other factors.  After all these are the two primary choices a person has along with Sony and maybe Olympus.

Old May 11th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
measekite

Garry Knight wrote:

measekite wrote:

[...]

I compared the Panasonic FZ5 against the Canon S2 and I found that even in the store the focus on the S2 would hunt a longer zoom or when you change zoom and refocus but the FZ5 did not do that.

At this time I do not want a DSLR so I am going to choose between the Canon S5 when I see it in June and the Panasonic FZ8.  The reviews say that the image quality on the FZ8 is compromised due to noise even a low ISO and using the raw mode will help but then you have a lot of work on all of the shots.  The Canon only has jpg mode and that is a disadvantage.  One thing I value is a framing grid which the FZ8 has (not sure about the S5.

To summarize the S5 is missing raw or tiff mode and has a low res EVF instead of 188,000 pixels.  It does have face recognition focusing but I do not know how valuable that will be.  Both cameras seem to be built good.  The FZ8 is somewhat smaller and has an easier to use menu and control system.  The noise is the big think.