Links reqd to good flashgun review sites

Old February 10th 05, 01:47 PM
envirographics

Default Links reqd to good flashgun review sites

Need find good flashgun sites
Any links to decent flashgun review sites please, e.g. approaching
flashguns
like dpreview approach body reviews ...sites that show test comparison
shots
, not too blinding with science, definitely not having any means of
selling
you anything on the site.

I am looking for a site that compares Speedlite 580ex to Metz54/m3
mount on and off a Canon 20D. Will they illuminate subject 2ft away
(ring flash shadow no use to me,need shadows under subject) Also 580ex
and 420ex(as slave)working together both off camera and how this
compares to two metz guns both off camera in wireless mode.

Ditto but for Nikon D70 and its SB800 and 600 fguns.

My choice of 20D or D70 may now be decided by flashgun choice,
supposed inconsistent results of 580EX has me perhaps rethinking (very
long thread in dpreview site) , SB800 and D70 sounds stable, not sure
if two Metzs operate intelligently off camera (awaiting Metz feedback
on this)and I need such a review site or someone with all the kit to
answer this lot ! Not something to do in a shop and they dont stock
Metz here or M3 mount anyway.

Testing to be under E-TTL 2 as well as manual and auto sensor on
flashgun

Thanks in advance
Steve
Old February 10th 05, 06:32 PM
UnoWhoo

Hi All
Just bought my wife the SB800 for her D70 - excellent deal and Company to
deal with if you're in UK (no connections) - let me know. She is just
getting used to it / along with the camera, but the combination looks quite
stunning. Even in fairly basic form it can illuminate an old building near
me (in the country) in pitch black nightime at 125ft. Last night she was
taking some pictures in-doors and again in a fairly basic mode she got some
good photos with no flash shadows, well illuminated.
Looks an amazing combination. Expensive, but you get what you pay for!?
I hope that helps a little.

Old February 10th 05, 06:45 PM
UnoWhoo

Hi
Also have a review of D70/SB800 combination in Professional image maker mag.
If anyone interested?
Regards
U W

Old February 10th 05, 07:09 PM
Tom Nelson

Try http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc031.htm
Requires free registration. The test is of evenness of exposure and
does not include sample images.

To summarize:

Canon 550 EX: We're sorry to report that this flash just isn't up to
par in TTL mode on the bodies we tested, and it does not have an AUTO
mode.

Metz 54mz4: A solid, all around performer with lots of features.* We
think this flash is great to work with and now own 3 of them.* It's
only weakness is the shoe mount is a little weak for a large shoe
flash.

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography