stuck Prontor-S shutter

Old December 7th 04, 11:38 AM
RolandRB

Default stuck Prontor-S shutter

I am working on a Prontor-S shutter. I have it soaking in benzene
trying to loosen the self-timer which is stuck half-way through its
action. It just will not come unstuck. I've tried pushing and pulling
the lever to add pressure and I've tried turning the wheels with a
screwdriver but it stay stuck. Does anyone here know exactly what is
wrong and how to free it?

Old December 7th 04, 01:19 PM
ROBMURR

May not be dirt that is causing your
problem a broken part may have jammed
it. Can you take the self timer section
out completely for inspection? If its
really broken leave it out at least you
will have a working shutter again.
Old December 7th 04, 02:00 PM
RolandRB

Thanks. Good thinking. I will try to remove the self-timer tonight. As
you say, it will still work without it and the guy that I am mending
the camera for intends to purely use it. He won't care if the
self-timer has to be removed to get the shutter working. He only paid
10 Euros for it from a shop, in any case.

Old December 7th 04, 02:23 PM
Lassi Hippeläinen

RolandRB wrote:
... I have it soaking in benzene

Hopefully just lighter fluid. Real benzene is nasty stuff.
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?cha...1683414B7F0000

-- Lassi
Old December 7th 04, 02:26 PM
RolandRB

It's Waschbenzine as bought from a German supermarket so it should be
safe.

Old December 7th 04, 02:26 PM
RolandRB

Old December 8th 04, 11:08 AM
Richard Knoppow

Make sure the shutter is completely dry before trying to work it.
Even a small amount of moisture on the shutter blades will jam them. It
may take hours for it to dry out completely.
Its also possible an internal lever has been forced out of place
and is jamming the shutter. Its unlikely that anything is actually
broken.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old December 8th 04, 12:27 PM
ROBMURR

BTW...I always have to rinse my shutters
I work on with alcohol after the rosonol
flushing to get rid of the sticky rosonol.
I use lots of swabs full of alcohol on the
iris and shutterblades until they are
completely clean and dry.