ebay wonders

Old April 25th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default ebay as art: A Metal Crown Graphic

"darkroommike" wrote
Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
Is it outsider art? Is it just a bad dream? Estimated to go
for -whaaat-?
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/20-...06003320QQrdZ1

I actually saw the all metal crown graphic on another website when
Google-ing around for parts for my Graphic View, it was actually used by
some photographer at some time and isn't "just" a piece of found art.

It's a piece of 'found art' now: the seller is an art & antiques
gallery.

As art it is worth far more than it ever was as "just" a camera.
As a working camera it's a disaster. I'm sure someone loved it --
one can find someone to love anything; The gallery is
sure hoping so.

The original questions was "outsider art" - not "found art":
was it made to be art?

One needs to discriminate found art, found object art,
art to be found, outsider art and bad art.

found art: the seminal Duchamp's urinal (ooooh, _very_ bad pun)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/entertainment/4059997.stm
Photography is a form of found art where the artist
takes a mechanical visual reproduction of the found
object and not the object itself.

found object art: arraigned collections, weldments, collage..
http://arts.ucsc.edu/sesnon/exhibiti...odwetrust.html

art to be found: only since the 60's, might have been the drugs
http://www.found-art.com/index.php

outsider art: the more decrepit the artist the more valuable the work;
often judged by psychiatrists rather than art critics. Many
variations
http://www.artbrut.com/

bad art: what more can one say...
http://www.museumofbadart.org/

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm

Old April 26th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
murrayatuptowngallery

Default ebay wonders

1) DAGOR77: Jim is traveling at the end of April per earlier auctions
in the month. Another seller, maybe Dr. Tooth? actually admitted to
emulating DAGOR77's writing style, but while he has some nice items,
he lacks the same panache...maybe with time .

2) J&C: I haven't verified in the last month, but J&C closed due to
"circumstances beyond their control" and relocating to Las Vegas or
elsewhere in Nevada. They estimated they will be open in September.
Meanwhile, I found that Digital Truth is now selling some of the same
sheet film products J&C were (minus the J&C labeled products).

Murray

Old April 26th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Michael Benveniste

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:18:34 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan"
wrote:

It's a piece of 'found art' now: the seller is an art & antiques
gallery.

My wife didn't count my rosewood Wista 45DX against my "camera quota,"
since it's normally on display as an object d'art. The 4 lenses took
a little more explaining...

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old April 26th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Michael Benveniste" wrote

My wife didn't count my rosewood Wista 45DX against my "camera quota,"
since it's normally on display as an object d'art. The 4 lenses took
a little more explaining...

Will Grimes remount an Apo-Sironar in a filigreed brass barrel?

Old April 29th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Michael Benveniste

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:23:42 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan"
wrote:

Will Grimes remount an Apo-Sironar in a filigreed brass barrel?

If they won't, I can recommend someone who will, but it's not that
hard to find a near-antique display lens. It's on my "to do" list,
just behind doing some silver polishing.

--
Michael Benveniste --
Old April 29th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Michael Benveniste" wrote.

wrote:
Will Grimes remount an Apo-Sironar in a filigreed brass barrel?

... it's not that hard to find a near-antique display lens ...

The objective was to mount a new objective in the mount for an
old brass objective to overcome the objections of the
Current Significant Other by claiming the resulting object
to be an objet d'art for the decoration of the house.

Until the CSO knocks out the Apo glass and converts the barrel
to a flower vase.

Old April 30th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Michael Benveniste

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

The objective was to mount a new objective in the mount for an
old brass objective to overcome the objections of the
Current Significant Other by claiming the resulting object
to be an objet d'art for the decoration of the house.

So rather than lose the advantage of a modern shutter, have one
lens for display and one (or more) for shooting. It's a _lot_
easier to hide a lens than a 4x5 (or 8x10") camera.

Here's a shot of mine with the 180mm Nikkor mounted on the
wooden lens board:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/Use...1b48aea209.jpg

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old May 10th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

More ebay wonders:

So, what did they go for? Is human stupidity truly infinite?

Homemade sheetmetal covered Graphic camera of some sort: $600
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/20-...06003320QQrdZ1

Or the extremely rare and in high demand 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Speed Graphic: $600
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/13-...06003246QQrdZ1

Will the Polaroid 80 reach it's $500 estimate: Topped out at $50
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/291...06005003QQrdZ1

Used $10 used nylon cable tie strapping gun, gun is c. 1985 in Dennison
catalog: $200
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/292...06005010QQrdZ1

Infinite, truly infinite.