Canon and Panasonic: updated models

Old May 28th 10, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default Canon and Panasonic: updated models

"LOL!" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 May 2010 18:18:31 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
.. .
On 28/05/10 6:05 AM, Bowser wrote:

Yes, I know the issue and I know Navas' tactics very well. He makes
ridiculous claims and never provides any proof to back them. I'll pass
on the banter this time. It's tiring and he's beginning to really bore
me.

I kill-filed him years ago. His lack of knowledge is not limited just to
digital cameras, but extends to other fields as well. It's amusing at
first, then as you stated, it gets boring.

He's a member in good standing of my kill file as well...

The sad thing about John is that, as has been previously pointed out, his
comments seem more intended to justify his purchase than to explore the
art
/ science of picture taking.

As a recent purchaser of a superzoom, I like it, and I believe it can
produce better pics than my Rebel XSi in a limited number of situations,
but
the overall nod has to go to the DSLR because of the larger sensor and
lens
interchangeability.

And you would know this because ....

You actually see the images you take?

News Flash: Blind Photographer hired by DPReview to do all their latest
camera and lens reviews. Word has it that he's even better than their
present camera reviewers. (Actually, there wouldn't be much difference.)

LOL!

It's comments like that that expose your narrow-minded,
more-than-a-bit-out-of-touch mentality for what it is: socially limiting
and not conducive to technical innovation...

There's an old saying in the armed forces: "If you want to know the easiest
and quickest method of how to get something done, assign the problem to the
laziest troop in the platoon."

Regarding myself, if my limited sight sees something better in one camera /
image over another, then there is obviously something desirable there.

For instance, I shot a pic the other night of Mich wandering off-leash as I
took the garbage out. It's a shot you would call "a crap shot," but it
caught my eye as I was reviewing it because my eye, with its weird way of
seeing things, picked out part of Mich's silhouette superimposed over a
sidewalk, and a highlight along the edge of his tail. To me, Mich was
delinieated by both shadow and highlight.

Later, when my son was looking at the same picture, he saw an underexposed
pic of Mich, with neither the silhouette or the tail highlight drawing much
attention.

So, what does this have to do with what a sighted person would care about in
the purchase of a camera, or in reflecting upon the work of a blind
photographer?

Well, The pic illustrates the nice dynamic range of the SX120. Even in an
extremely low-light situation, outdoors with the light of only a single bulb
, it can produce some very delicate highlight detail in shadow areas. So
delicate in fact that sighted persons might not even notice, but which still
have the potential of making a good pic better than it otherwise would have
been.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old May 28th 10, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"Jeff Jones" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 May 2010 19:29:44 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
wrote:

On the flip side, distortion and purple-fringing in SX120 pics is worse
than
I'd expected, even after reading several reviews containing warnings about
these problems.

I highly doubt that anyone in your family would know what you were talking
about (judging by the poor quality of photos that they let you post to the
net) let alone them knowing how to compare those things between different
cameras.

You truly are blind. In more ways than one. As are any that would believe
your equipment reviews.

Who said I was referring to family members? And, who says they "let" me
post pics?

I choose what to show after asking a variety of questions to various friends
and family members. They are encouraged not to express a personal
preference, only to convey to me as objectively as possible what they see in
the image.

After an image is posted, I receive feedback from persons who post responses
to the host where I placed my links, and also from users who e-mail their

Take Care,
Dudley

Old May 28th 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Jeff Jones

On Fri, 28 May 2010 20:08:08 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
wrote:

You might be surprised at who views my shots...

I wouldn't be surprised at all. I've already seen the kind of dreck
crapshots posted by those that encourage you here. Why should others that
do the same (encourage you) be any less terrible at their own photography
because they use email.

Old May 28th 10, 10:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

wrote:

You might be surprised at who views my shots...

I wouldn't be surprised at all. I've already seen the kind of dreck
crapshots posted by those that encourage you here. Why should others that
do the same (encourage you) be any less terrible at their own photography
because they use email.

Jeff / LOL / GR, the difference between you and I is that you start with
your own ideas / opinions / prejudices and devote your energy to bringing
the world down to your level, while I start with my own abilities and
consult the world in order to improve both my abilities and the
understanding of others as to the arbitrary nature of societies
understanding of persons with disabilities.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old May 28th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Jeff Jones

On Fri, 28 May 2010 21:14:36 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
wrote:

the difference between you and I is that you start with
your own ideas / opinions / prejudices and devote your energy to bringing
the world down to your level

Quite the contrary. I short out the wheat from the chaff. I'm a
photographer. I find those rarest of gems in the most unlikely places. It's
part of being a photographer. Looking for gold amongst the world's trash.
Your photography is trash. That simple.

Old May 28th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Jeff Jones

wrote:

the difference between you and I is that you start with
your own ideas / opinions / prejudices and devote your energy to bringing
the world down to your level

Quite the contrary. I sort out the wheat from the chaff. I'm a

Old May 29th 10, 08:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
[]
In my case, my SX120 has a f/2.8 IS lens and an ISO 3200 setting which
help it outperform my XSi in certain low-light situations, since I don't
have a large-apertured, long focal-length lens for the XSi.

Nor do you with the SX120 - at its longest focal length (60mm, 360mm
equivalent), it's f/4.3, not f/2.8.

The ISO 3200 image I found with a quick search was not full resolution,
but 1600 x 1200.

Cheers,
David

Old May 29th 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
George Kerby

On 5/28/10 10:02 AM, in article ,
"SMS" wrote:

On 28/05/10 6:05 AM, Bowser wrote:

Yes, I know the issue and I know Navas' tactics very well. He makes
ridiculous claims and never provides any proof to back them. I'll pass
on the banter this time. It's tiring and he's beginning to really bore
me.

I kill-filed him years ago. His lack of knowledge is not limited just to
digital cameras, but extends to other fields as well. It's amusing at
first, then as you stated, it gets boring.

Yep. He bounces from group to group. When he make a big enough ass of
himself in one, he leaves and shows up at another.

The guy needs a life.