Best photo printer mostly borderless 6" x 4" 's.

Old June 24th 04, 02:56 AM
Warren Jones

Default Best photo printer mostly borderless 6" x 4" 's.

Thoughts please on best available PC desktop Photo Printer for photo
realistic quality. Although main use is 6" x 4" 's, A3 printer is OK if it
is the best offering . ( budget is $700). No requirement to read cards, just
great gloss prints. Currently own 1270. So far considering Canon i9900 and
Epson R800.
Have discarded Epson 2100/2200 from short list. Speed nor cost per print not
absolutely critical either.

Old June 24th 04, 07:15 PM
B.A.S.

Warren Jones wrote:

Thoughts please on best available PC desktop Photo Printer for photo
realistic quality. Although main use is 6" x 4" 's, A3 printer is OK if it
is the best offering . ( budget is $700). No requirement to read cards, just
great gloss prints. Currently own 1270. So far considering Canon i9900 and
Epson R800.
Have discarded Epson 2100/2200 from short list. Speed nor cost per print not
absolutely critical either.

I'm printing from my second Epson PictureMate as I write this. First one
was returned because of vertical banding, and second one has the same
problem. Nozzle checks are clear, and I've tried to align the heads, but
the top group of blocks in the alignment check always have a light
vertical band no matter what I do. Called Epson, they have no solution.

Printing with 'Enhanced Details' set helps, but I can still just see the
banding up close with the naked eye. I am very nearsighted, though, so I
suspect others wouldn't notice (my wife doesn't). Even I can't see it at
normal viewing distances (6" or more). Note setting to the Enhanced
Details mode does slow down output considerably.

Ohterwise the prints are very nice. I do have to tweak things a bit in
PS to get warm (rather than ruddy) causcasian skin tones, something I
don't have to do on my old Photo 750.

I will probably keep the printer, for its convenience, portability, and
because it's the cheapest way to get high quality, archival 4x6 prints
at home - about 25 cents a print.

B.A.S.
Old June 25th 04, 08:04 AM
Bob Williams

Warren Jones wrote:
Thoughts please on best available PC desktop Photo Printer for photo
realistic quality. Although main use is 6" x 4" 's, A3 printer is OK if it
is the best offering . ( budget is $700). No requirement to read cards, just
great gloss prints. Currently own 1270. So far considering Canon i9900 and
Epson R800.
Have discarded Epson 2100/2200 from short list. Speed nor cost per print not
absolutely critical either.

Flip a coin. They are both "killer" printers
I'll bet that you could not tell the difference in side by side comparisons.
Epson probably has a bigger line of Photo Quality papers available.
Canon is probably a bit faster.
You are in the enviable position that no matter which one you choose,
you've chosen correctly.
Bob Williams

Old June 25th 04, 03:26 PM
Arthur Small

Check the HiTi printer.

Old June 26th 04, 01:32 AM
Anoni Moose

Bob Williams wrote in message ...
Warren Jones wrote:
Thoughts please on best available PC desktop Photo Printer for photo
realistic quality. Although main use is 6" x 4" 's, A3 printer is OK if it
is the best offering . ( budget is $700). No requirement to read cards, just
great gloss prints. Currently own 1270. So far considering Canon i9900 and
Epson R800.
Have discarded Epson 2100/2200 from short list. Speed nor cost per print not
absolutely critical either.

Flip a coin. They are both "killer" printers
I'll bet that you could not tell the difference in side by side comparisons.
Epson probably has a bigger line of Photo Quality papers available.
Canon is probably a bit faster.

Yes, both of those printers will make superb looking glossy prints
(now with Epson having that glossy overcoat to fix the problem in
the 2200 on glossy paper). For 6" x 4" prints, the print speeds shouldn't
be much different either (nor terribly long).

However, the i9900 can print much larger prints than the R800, it can
print up to 13" wide printing while the R800 is limited to 8.3" wide
printing (according to Epson's website).

The i9900 is not just fast, it's *FAST*. Can print a 13" x 19"
print in about 3 minutes. So, if you don't have secret ambitions
for large prints, "never mind", but if you do, the i9900 has
a big advantage.

Mike
Old June 26th 04, 02:14 PM
Peter Jones

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:26:07 GMT, "Arthur Small"
wrote:

Check the HiTi printer.

Or the Canon CP-220/320 dye-sub printers. It's limited to 4x6"
prints, but print results are extremely good. There are inkjet inks
that will last longer though.

Peter
Everything about Vancouver, Canada
http://www.YourVancouver.com
Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm
Old July 1st 04, 05:47 PM
Leonard Erickson

In my opinion, Canon is the way to go!

The speed and picture quality are simply the best.