photographing moose in the "Anchorage Hillside" area?

Old March 8th 04, 11:24 PM
Bill Hilton

Default photographing moose in the "Anchorage Hillside" area?

A friend from Europe was told there are excellent opportunities for
photographing moose in late August - early Sept in the 'Anchorage Hillside'
area. This looks like a neighborhood in Anchorage not too far from the airport
to me (from the Google info) so I'm a bit skeptical and he asked me to check
around.

So, anyone familiar with the photo ops in this area, especially for habituated
bull moose? Sounds a bit hokey to me but then I was in Homer photographing
hand-fed eagles last week so who am I to judge?

Bill
Old March 9th 04, 05:11 AM
Fred A. Miller

Bill Hilton wrote:

A friend from Europe was told there are excellent opportunities for
photographing moose in late August - early Sept in the 'Anchorage Hillside'
area. This looks like a neighborhood in Anchorage not too far from the
airport to me (from the Google info) so I'm a bit skeptical and he asked me
to check around.

So, anyone familiar with the photo ops in this area, especially for
habituated
bull moose? Sounds a bit hokey to me but then I was in Homer photographing
hand-fed eagles last week so who am I to judge?

No, it's NOT "hokey!!" Moose ramble at will through parts of Anchorage
frequently. I'll send you a pic. or two. via private mail of moose IN
Anchorage sent to me by my uncle who lives there.

Fred

--
"...Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows XP (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly)."
Old March 9th 04, 03:12 PM
telman

"Fred A. Miller" wrote in message
Bill Hilton wrote:

No, it's NOT "hokey!!" Moose ramble at will through parts of Anchorage
frequently. I'll send you a pic. or two. via private mail of moose IN
Anchorage sent to me by my uncle who lives there.

I live in Anchorage. Moose are all over the city - but they tend to be
solitary animals. You will usually see just one. But, within my limited
knowledge (I've only been here a year so far), they do not seem to be
territorial. That said, they are definitely around!

I come from England. I was amazed at the way these very large animals just
wander around - no barriers, no inhibitions about people, traffic or other
animals, no road sense whatsoever! Right into the city center. Just don't
get too close - they are able to fight off wolves and bears.

I work in an area referred to as "Midtown." It is a fairly frequent
occurrence for a moose warning to be posted on the building internet -
something on the lines of, "There is a bull moose in the south parking lot,"
or "There is a cow moose and calf on the west side of the building." (Cow
moose with calf means be very cautious - the cows are very protective.)

In the summer I suspect there will be a better chance of seeing a moose in
one of the city parks (of which there are many). However, a large park on
the south side of the city is usually a certain place to find them - Kincaid
Park.

As to the Hillside - a good place to look. But watch out for bears!

Telman

Old March 9th 04, 09:03 PM
Bill Hilton

Let me pose this question again ... I know Anchorage has moose inside the city
limits (I saw several last week when I was passing thru on the way to Homer)
but ... how good are the photo ops compared to Denali?

Reason I'm asking is that a group of us (including Roger Clark and me) will be
in Denali late August and the first couple days of Sept, then are drifting to
Homer to fly into Katmai for a custom camping trip for brown bears (which still
has two openings by the way, if interested check out
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/katmai_bears.htm ). One of the guys is from
Sweden and has this odd Scandanavian obsession with moose (give me bears or
caribou or sheep any day!) and wants to go to the "best spot" for a big bull.
He has Sept 4 and 5 open (will be in Denali until the 3rd at a workshop and
will go to Homer the 6th with the rest of us).

Anyway I suggested he either ride the shuttle bus to Teklanika (inside Denali)
and wander upstream to find moose or look for them in the wooded areas on the
first 14 miles of paved road in Denali, where I've seen them often. Someone
from Alaska wrote the following to him, saying the "Anchorage Hillside" area is
the best spot in North America (which sounds like a strrrretch to moi). Here's
the entire quote ...

quote
As for moose......in my opinion, the Anchorage Hillside offers the best
opportunity for big moose photography in North America. It is also the most
"dependable". Teklanika usually had moose, but not always and they are not
as habituated to people as the moose on the Hillside. You will get closer
to more big moose in Anchorage./quote

So, anyone with actual experience photographing them in the ANC city limits or
this specific area care to comment? If so, where exactly do you go since the
only internet references to this area are for a bed-and-breakfast
Personally I'd rather take my chances in the wilderness but my friend just
wants to get close up shots of a willing bull so I was gathering info for him.

Bill