Identify my bug

Old October 31st 15, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Identify my bug

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 14:13:04 +0100, Pablo
wrote:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/313627/40181442

Currently being attacked by a plague of these things.

Anyone have a clue?

I have a daughter who is an entomologist. I have asked her and she may
be able to throw some light on it - that is, if she reads her email.

Eric Stevens
Old November 1st 15, 08:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/313627/40181442

Currently being attacked by a plague of these things.

Anyone have a clue?

I have a daughter who is an entomologist. I have asked her and she may
be able to throw some light on it - that is, if she reads her email.

This was her guess based on the photograph:

"Hi - I was guessing that it could be Brown Marmorated stink bug but
this invasive pest doesn’t seem to be in spain yet….Something we
are dreading arriving here."

"Here" being New Zealand.

Eric Stevens
Old November 1st 15, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Eric Stevens:
This was her guess based on the photograph:

"Hi - I was guessing that it could be Brown Marmorated stink bug but
this invasive pest doesn’t seem to be in spain yet….Something we
are dreading arriving here."

"Here" being New Zealand.

Good try. As I posted earlier, not a Halyomorpha halys, brown
marmorated stink bug, which looks like this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/5490637632. Trust me‹we in the
U.S. Mid-Atlantic region know this animal well!

It's a bit surprising that H. halys hasn't appeared in NZ yet. I would
think that you would be doing a considerable amount of trade with
China. In the U.S. we are slowly identifying predators for H. halys,
including this guy
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/22546915432. H. halys is less
abundant in Eastern Maryland than it was a few years ago, but I don't
have any information from the fruit-growing regions in Central and
Western Maryland.

Someone suggested earlier that OP's photo represents a weevil of some
sort. I think that is correct. The poor quality of the photo and the
failure to mention the specimen's size make it difficult to match with
anything on bugguide.net or eol.org, plus there are some 60,000 species
of weevils to choose from. Most weevils, however, have a head that is
elongated to a greater or lesser extent like that in the OP's photo.
Until better evidence comes forth, call it a weevil.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm