buying a ~ $1100 SLR - which one and why?

Old November 21st 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default buying a ~ $1100 SLR - which one and why?

I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to decide
when to grab an image - I want to get back to a SLR type body.

Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
or flames from unhappy owners?

Thanks for any advice - Mark

Old November 21st 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rudy Benner

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to decide
when to grab an image - I want to get back to a SLR type body.

Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
or flames from unhappy owners?

Thanks for any advice - Mark

I am quite happy with my Nikon D-50. Buy the body but don't get the kit
lens. Upgrade to the 18-70mm which is the kit lens for the D-70. If you can
get the D-70 with the 18-70mm for cheaper, get that instead.

No shutter delay that I can detect. Its great. Battery lasts forever.

Old November 21st 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Francis

In article . com,
wrote:
I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to decide
when to grab an image - I want to get back to a SLR type body.

Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
or flames from unhappy owners?

I'd suggest a first look at:

Nikon D80

Pentax K10D

Canon 400D

Old November 21st 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tom

Rudy Benner wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to decide
when to grab an image - I want to get back to a SLR type body.

Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
or flames from unhappy owners?

Thanks for any advice - Mark

I am quite happy with my Nikon D-50. Buy the body but don't get the kit
lens. Upgrade to the 18-70mm which is the kit lens for the D-70. If you can
get the D-70 with the 18-70mm for cheaper, get that instead.

No shutter delay that I can detect. Its great. Battery lasts forever.

I am very happy with my D50 too, got it with the 18-55 kit lens, and
recently purchased the 18-70 used from a camera store. I like it
too....but I think if I had to do it over again I would save the 18-70
money in a drawer until I could add $500 to it and get the 18-200VR lens.

So, not already having an investment in lens' I went for best hand-grip
feel in my price range and stepped over the canon 350 series for the
D50. I have made lab photo-paper blow-ups to 20"x30" (with the kit
lens) and am *very* happy with the results. Today I might get the D80
with the cheapest lens I can find...and the 18-200vr a year later.
Old November 21st 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to
decide
when to grab an image - I want to get back to a SLR type body.

Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
or flames from unhappy owners?

For image quality, all of the cameras are generally excellent, and
they all have plenty of features and toys.

Since you don't seem to have any prerequisites other than it being a
DSLR, then it doesn't matter what brand or model you buy. Just go to a
store and play with them, then buy the one you like. If you want
something special, then you'll have to be more specific.

If all you want is a suggestion, then get the Nikon D80 with 18-135
kit lense and start shooting.

Old November 21st 06, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
abbasam via PhotoKB.com

I was asking the same question a few months back.

D50 is a good camera, but go for a 18-70mm, or you could directly go for D70s.
Althought, you could consider the newly launched D80 (10MP).

I was considering the D50 and Canon rebel 350D, but waited for the Canon 400D,
again a 10MP.
Remember its a one time investment.

Abbas.

Old November 21st 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eddie

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm so tired of my old Olypmus "brownie" that takes seconds to decide
when to grab an image - I want to get back to a SLR type body.

Cannon/Olympus/Nikon/Sony ???????? Any testimonials of happy users
or flames from unhappy owners?

Thanks for any advice - Mark

I have the Olympus E500. But then, for the price I paid in Dubai, you might
get the Canon or Nikon in the US for same price.

I'm happy with mine so far but much more work to do yet. You will get
flooded with Canon and Nikon suggestions.

Eddie

Old November 21st 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
POHB

abbasam via PhotoKB.com wrote:
Remember its a one time investment.

You think any digital kit is going to last a lifetime?
You're doing well if you get three years before it either breaks and is
no longer repairable because it is obsolete, or a newer must-have model
comes along.

Old November 21st 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
map

are you kidding?
what are your sources & experiences?
I'd like to buy a D80 and a lens. if they have no chance to last 10 years,
I'll not buy them!