[SI] I miss...

Old June 26th 04, 01:49 AM
Sabineellen

Default [SI] I miss...

http://www.pbase.com/image/30270015

digital camera... right?
Old June 26th 04, 02:05 AM
Rich Pos

On 26 Jun 2004 00:49:46 GMT, (Sabineellen) wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/image/30270015

digital camera... right?

AE 1 P
Agfa Ultra 100
20mm 2.8

It looks phony because I did a quickie PS job on the sign to make it
more readable. Selected the sign and adjusted levels. If I ever decide
to print it I'll spend more time so it doesn't look to 'digital'.

Cheers,

RP©

Old June 26th 04, 02:12 AM
Sabineellen

The white telephone or power lines could've been erased out.

But then how would the church get electricity for the Tuesday night
Bingo games?

God will provide.
Old June 26th 04, 03:47 AM
Matt Clara

"Sabineellen" wrote in message

The group is often too volatile to critique without incensing somebody,

unless
one is would like to adopt a 100% positive view.

But what do you know... here i have a go at it...

Matt Clara - night shot from Matt. I get the funny feeling this is almost
certainly a digital image and it does look like it. As night shots go,

this is
a pretty nice one. Not sure I like it much though, but I could be biased
against Matt and his digital imagery; quite likely.

Of course it's a digital image--you couldn't see it on your computer if it
wasn't! This was, however, shot on Fuji Provia 100f at f16 and 15 seconds,
with an f100 and 17-35mm af-s wonder lens. It was scanned with an el cheapo
Acer Scanwit 2720s, which is due to be replaced with a Nikon 8000 ED in
about three days...

So, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt--wrong answer.

Thanks for your comments, though.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old June 26th 04, 09:30 AM
Colm

There isn't any connection. I have a habit of always seeking out
disconnected subjects. If it looks like it doesn't fit in, and I have a
camera, it's going to be photographed.
Thanks for commenting.

--
Colm

"Sabineellen" wrote in message

Colm Gallagher - eh eh. Two deers and a monumental cross behind them. Not

sure
what the connection is. Looks like one of thoses pictures in photography

books
solely to demonstrate the effect of using a telephoto lens. There's also a
1980s feel about it, maybe for the same reason; those SLR zoom lens'

brochures
of the time.

Old June 26th 04, 08:18 PM
Ken Nadvornick

"Sabineellen" wrote:

The group is often too volatile to critique without incensing somebody,
unless one is would like to adopt a 100% positive view.

Hi 'Sabineellen',

Yes, and I don't understand it myself. After all, these are only
photographs, not competing cures for cancer, or something.

My position is that no one learns in a vacuum. And false praise is as bad
or worse in this regard as silence. My respect for an opinion is directly
proportional to its level of honesty, not its content. I doubt you can hurt
my feelings, but you might just be able to help me improve my photos...

Ken Nadvornick - amusing. Not sure why it's in black and white. Was hard
to tell what it was though without reading the caption.

It's rendered in black and white precisely because, of course... it can
be... ;-)

I, too, was worried about viewers being able to identify the structure. An
800 pixel limit does tend to remove a fair amount of fine detail. In this
case the name above the door also serves to identify the building's purpose,
which is central to interpretation of the image. Unfortunately, it scanned
pretty close to the limit of readability. In the original print, however,
it's razor sharp, yet small enough that the viewer is forced to satisfy his
curiosity by physically moving close enough to read it. (A little audience
participation in the viewing experience?)

Thank you very much for commenting on all of the photos (and pumping some
air into that vacuum).

Ken

Old June 27th 04, 02:50 AM
Al Denelsbeck

(Sabineellen) wrote in
:

The group is often too volatile to critique without incensing
somebody, unless one is would like to adopt a 100% positive view.

But what do you know... here i have a go at it...

snip

Al Denelsbeck - Beautiful image. Peculiar in the sense that there is
some space between the guys fishing on the left and the sun on the
right. I wonder if using a telephoto lens and tightening the
composition might've produced a more conventional image, especially
that the sun looks quite tiny here, but that might've been a cliché.
Rather, I think the weight given to the water is quite good, though I
would've probably preferred to crop the sun out. I'm not sure if Al
intended the central "emptiness" to emphasize the weight of water. I
have played with cropping and rotating it and I guess each iteration
feels a little different.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...56364808MbjrMT

I looked at this one several times, comparing it with my own to see
what you'd changed, until I got wise and realized you'd included the
original for comparison ;-)

Interesting approaches to it, anyway. One of the tilted crops, with
the proximity of the water, makes it look like I dropped the camera ;-).

I included the sun for balance, and to give a distinct idea of the
timeframe. Additionally, I was aiming for the placidity of the water, and a
nice flat look to it all, so I was forced to shoot it wide-angle. I don't
feel the subjects were strong enough to carry it by themselves, but hey,
it's all opinion. If I'd been thnking along those lines, I might have
concentrated on the fisherfolk and gone for something more interesting from
their actions.

Thanks for the compliments, and for taking the time to offer
commentary. You'll find that the participants anymore are pretty hard-nosed
and accept critique in the spirit it is intended. All the crybabies have
abandoned the Shoot-In and demonstrated their petulance by turning into
trolls.

Cheers!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old June 27th 04, 04:12 AM
Sabineellen

Interesting approaches to it, anyway. One of the tilted crops, with
the proximity of the water, makes it look like I dropped the camera ;-).

Actually Al, i just looked at the tilted ones and felt a little motion
sickness.
Old June 27th 04, 06:03 AM
parv

in message ,
wrote Al Denelsbeck ...

You'll find that the participants anymore are pretty hard-nosed
and accept critique in the spirit it is intended.

I couldn't parse that sentence. Could you explain better that
"anymore"?

- parv

--
As nice it is to receive personal mail, too much sweetness causes
tooth decay. Unless you have burning desire to contact me, do not do