Fill Flash with the Canon 20D?

Old December 2nd 04, 08:45 PM
Ryadia

A quick and dirty solution to your problem is to just use the flash. What
many people do is use a reflective card or board on the flash with it's head
turned up so it acts as a bounce flash, bouncing off the card. Sto-Fen make
a diffuser to do the same thing or, in a fix I've been known to resort to
using a white paper bag over the flash head!

Some transparent material used in window drapes is also useful as a
softener. Raw flash, no matter how reduced is not kind to highlights.
Diffused flash is the way to go.

Doug
-----------
"Jerry Shaw" wrote in message
I have a new Canon 20D and 580 EX flash. I'm looking for information on

using
this combination for fill flash.

Old December 2nd 04, 09:37 PM
Frank ess

"Jerry Shaw" wrote in message
I have a new Canon 20D and 580 EX flash. I'm looking for information
on using this combination for fill flash.

Acting on a tip from someone here, and my experience on an excursion
train with a failed lighting system (put a paper cup over the lens of a
flashlight to see the effect in a darkened room), I found a nice gallon
fruit juice plastic jug and cut slits in the flat end so that when
folded out they accepted the business end of my Vivitar 285. A sturdy
rubber band keeps it in place. Pointed straight up it represents a light
source of about 8 by 10 inches. I haven't tried it in public, but it
works good at home, and increases the likelihood of genuine smiles in
person photos.

--
Frank ess

Old December 4th 04, 12:18 AM
Mark B.

Default Fill Flash with the Canon 20D?

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
Your equipment is a generation newer than mine but I'll offer that program
mode and Av mode will both provide what you want.

Program mode will assume the flash is the only source of light for the
subject and adjust aperture, shutter speed, and flash output accordingly.
Av will assume flash will light the subject, but adjust shutter speed for
background ambient light. So I'd say they could be very different depending
on ambient light conditions.

Mark

Old December 4th 04, 06:29 AM
Skip M

"Mark B." wrote in message
"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
Your equipment is a generation newer than mine but I'll offer that
program mode and Av mode will both provide what you want.

Program mode will assume the flash is the only source of light for the
subject and adjust aperture, shutter speed, and flash output accordingly.
Av will assume flash will light the subject, but adjust shutter speed for
background ambient light. So I'd say they could be very different
depending on ambient light conditions.

Mark

Actually, ETTL does that in program mode, too...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 15th 04, 10:35 PM
Todd H.

Jerry Shaw writes:
I have a new Canon 20D and 580 EX flash. I'm looking for information on using
this combination for fill flash.

Anyone done any flash fill, and have any suggested settings for the
Canon 20D?

Howdy Jerry,

The definition of fill flash varies based on lighting condition and
ISO. Really, what we're talking about is playing with the mixture of
flash light to ambient light, and in a fill flash situation, the
desire is to have mostly ambient light, and just a taste of flash to
punch in the shadows.

One way to guarantee a given amount of ambient light with just a taste
of fill flash is to use Tv modes. Pick a shutterspeed that gives you
the level of ambient light that looks right, and let the camera fill
in the rest for proper expsoure. Warning though, your max flash sync
speed can get in the way here on the top end.

Another way is to use P mode and vary the ISO setting. Higher ISOs
should give you more of an available light mix, lower isos will call
in more flash to make the exposure.

Yet another way is to play with exposure compensation. An old trick
to get more available light and less flash is to go +1 stop on the
main exposure compensation, and -1 stop on the flash exposure
compensation.

I'm not sure there's any one setting that'll work best regardless of
the situation. Try P mode on ISO 200 for starters, and tweak from
there.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.