[SI] Dusk or Dawn is due soon!

Old September 8th 11, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

Default [SI] Dusk or Dawn is due soon!

On 9/8/2011 12:58 AM, tony cooper wrote:
On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 21:23:22 -0400, Robert wrote:

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 19:46:36 -0400, tony
wrote:
: On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 19:13:18 -0400, Robert wrote:
:
:: : I don't think Alan is suggesting that you wear a custom-fitted
:: : original designer dress. I think he means that you photograph someone
:: : in one.
::
:: And where would we find such?
::
:: Bob
::
:: Not in San Luis Obispo County, California.
:
:Not in Middlesex County either. At least not in the offices, busses, and
:subway trains I frequent.
:
:Nor in the Philadelphia suburbs, methinks. Saturday evening, my daughter and
:son-in-law took us out to dinner at a moderately tony seafood restaurant to
:celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary. For such an occasion I had brought
:along a blazer and tie, with a somewhat dressy long-sleeved shirt. As we sat
:on couches and slurped our drinks while waiting for a table, it became
:painfully obvious that I was the most overdressed person at the restaurant. It
:was as though I'd shown up for after-work beers in a white tie and tailcoat.
:If I'd thought to do so, I'd have at least taken off my tie and stuffed it in
:my coat pocket. Even that would have been a bit weird, as I was the only one
:there wearing a coat. "Haute couture"? Gone with the wind, surely.
:
: Well, actually, I have been at events where some original designer
: dresses were worn. Not on the subway or at restaurants or at the dog
: park, but at some of those charity benefit things like the Symphony
: Ball or whatever it was they called the fund raiser for breast cancer
: research.
:
: Orlando has some well-heeled, and well-frocked, matrons. I can't tell
: a one-of-a-kind Versace from a knock-off, but - according to some of
: the conversations I heard around me - some of the dresses set the
: husbands back several thousand.
:
: It would be rather declasse of me to ask the price of the gown and if
: I could photograph it, though.

Just act as though you're with the society section of the Orlando Orange, and
snap away. Whip out a notepad and ask the gown wearers how to spell their
names; that will reinforce the illusion. As will congratulating their husbands
on the dazzling beauty of the gowns - without, of course, alluding in any
overt way to the putative prices thereof.

You don't know the nouveau riche. They can't wait to tell you what
their wife spent on the gown. They do with a fake casualness intended
to convey that they don't care about the amount, but they want you to
know how much it costs as a way of showing you how much they have.

They'll get into a ****ing contest with the other husbands to see who
spent the most.

Those of them who still smoke will light their cigars with hundred
dollar bills.

--
Peter