Nikon D70 Mem Card Anomalies?

Old September 2nd 04, 08:26 PM
pipex

Default Nikon D70 Mem Card Anomalies?

I have not got the manual at hand but it does state in the manual, somewhere
next to a figure quoted it has an asterix next to it and when you look at
the bottom it explains, keep shooting you find you will get a lot more.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
U have both a one gig CF card and a one gig microdrive. When they are
cleanly formatted, and the camera is set to NEF, my D70 says I have 94
photos left on the card and 93 on the drive.

Seems low. Even allowing for "wastage" in storage, 94 five-meg images
would only take up about half the capacity of a one gig card, right?

The manual (chart on Page 45) that says, in regard to a 256KB card, that
the capacity is 44 five-meg shots, plus four in the buffer. So a
one-gig card should hold about four times as many shots, or about 176?
Right?

There's a little note on the chart that says for the 256KB card, the
exposure count display will show 23 shots remaining when the card is
empty. Is Nikon thus admitting there is a count discrepency here? Am I
missing something?

Where have all the shots gone?

?

--
Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
And don't forget to pay your taxes so the rich don't have to!

Old September 2nd 04, 08:42 PM
Harry Krause

pipex wrote:

[...]

Yes, I see that and therefore assume I will get about 176 shots off my
one gig card and drive...but...

WHY the discrepency?

Why doesn't the counter give a more accurate number?

H.

Old September 2nd 04, 08:45 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Harry Krause wrote:

U have both a one gig CF card and a one gig microdrive. When they are
cleanly formatted, and the camera is set to NEF, my D70 says I have 94
photos left on the card and 93 on the drive.

Yep.

Seems low. Even allowing for "wastage" in storage, 94 five-meg images
would only take up about half the capacity of a one gig card, right?

Yep.

The manual (chart on Page 45) that says, in regard to a 256KB card, that
the capacity is 44 five-meg shots, plus four in the buffer. So a
one-gig card should hold about four times as many shots, or about 176?
Right?

Right. And it will hold that many. You'll note that, when you are shooting,
the number of shots remaining doesn't go down by one for each shot you take.

Basically, since the file sizes can vary from one shot to the next, they are
estimating the number left. And the estimate is drastically low to the point
of absurdity. Shooting raw, you can get at least 170 pictures on a 1GB card.

--
Jeremy |

Old September 2nd 04, 09:37 PM
Harry Krause

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

[...]

Thanks...I had a feeling that was the case....