portable digital photo album?

Old October 12th 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
james

Default portable digital photo album?

I started to shoot portraits for friends and family, and I want to be able
to carry around a pocketable photo portfolio.

ipod touch is popular and has 480 x 320 (3:2) screen
zune hd has OLED 480 x 272 (16:9) screen, which means a 3:2 photo (from
dslr) would only display as 272 x 408.

I also found some not so famous devices with higher resolution screen. E.g.
nokia and sony both make tablets with 800 x 480 resolution, and there are
PDAs with 640 x 480 resolution.

Is there anything with the popularity and usefulness of ipod touch but with
OLED and/or higher resolution, and slightly larger screen?

Old October 12th 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jacquie

Hi James,

Have you considered a digital photo frame that you could plug your card
into?

Jacquie.

Old October 13th 09, 09:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

james wrote:
I started to shoot portraits for friends and family, and I want to be able
to carry around a pocketable photo portfolio.

ipod touch is popular and has 480 x 320 (3:2) screen
zune hd has OLED 480 x 272 (16:9) screen, which means a 3:2 photo (from
dslr) would only display as 272 x 408.

I also found some not so famous devices with higher resolution screen. E.g.
nokia and sony both make tablets with 800 x 480 resolution, and there are
PDAs with 640 x 480 resolution.

Is there anything with the popularity and usefulness of ipod touch but with
OLED and/or higher resolution, and slightly larger screen?

How about a small plastic pocket display folder for postcard sized
photographs?

--
Chris Malcolm

Old October 15th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Since these days you're rarely more than a few yards from a DVD player and
TV, have you considered creating your portfolio on a DVD?

I use the Magix Xtreme Photostory, and it is quick and easy to assemble and
burn one or more DVDs. Also usefull if you want to snail-mail something to
your friends/family. This software is easy to use, yet if you want bells and
whistles you can build a structured menu system.
Old October 16th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner

james wrote:
I started to shoot portraits for friends and family, and I want to be able
to carry around a pocketable photo portfolio.

James, I have been looking around for something similar. To
everyone else reading this: What I'm looking for, and what I suspect
James is looking for, is something I can just pull out and start showing
to people, even at a bar, on a train, etc. Most "digital photo frames"
have to be plugged into wall power. Laptop computers, even the
smallest, are substantially larger, heavier, more expensive, and slower
to boot than an ipod-touch-like device. As for "a DVD player and TV are
never far away", well, you must live in a different world than I.
Frankly, the idea of carrying around a book of 5x7" photos isn't bad!

I've been looking at these:
Digital Foci Photo Book
http://www.digitalfoci.com/photo_book_PBK-080.html
8" 800x600 display, 4 GB internal memory, built-in card slots, about $190.
Haven't actually handled one.

Digital Spectrum "The Album"
http://www.dsicentral.com/album/
7" 800x480 display (?!), 4 GB internal memory, card slots, about $140.
Haven't actually handled one.

My Life Digital Photo Album
http://www.brookstone.com/digital-ph...oto-album.html
3.5" 320x240 display, 128MB internal memory, about $100.
Handled one of these; it feels cheap.

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me
Old October 17th 09, 06:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
james

James, I have been looking around for something similar. To
everyone else reading this: What I'm looking for, and what I suspect
James is looking for, is something I can just pull out and start showing
to people, even at a bar, on a train, etc. Most "digital photo frames"
have to be plugged into wall power. Laptop computers, even the
smallest, are substantially larger, heavier, more expensive, and slower
to boot than an ipod-touch-like device. As for "a DVD player and TV are
never far away", well, you must live in a different world than I.
Frankly, the idea of carrying around a book of 5x7" photos isn't bad!

You read my mind. Most of the people I want to show my portfolio to are
usually people I run into at a restaurant or parties, so it has to be
something pocketable. While a book of 5x7" photos would certainly work, I
want something geekily stylish. Digital devices (cellphone, PDA, mp3 player,
portable video game, etc) are the only choices I'm considering. It has to be
320 x 240 or higher.

Old October 17th 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Recer[_2_]

"james" wrote in message ...
[...]

Unfortunately, all the digital photo frames are like computer screens, low
res devices. I have a 1280 x 800 digital photo frame and it is ok, but
still low res. I still haven't found one that shows detail like a larger
print does. I don't print many photos, but almost all that I print are 8.5"
x 11". Perhaps the detail on those has spoiled me for digital frames and
small prints. ;-)

Ron

Old October 17th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , John Navas
wrote:

The iPod Touch would make a great photo album device if there were a
memory card reader available for it, but the only one I've heard of is
the iWay, which seems to have disappeared from the market.

the ipod touch *is* a great photo album device.
Old October 18th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , John Navas
wrote:

The iPod Touch would make a great photo album device if there were a
memory card reader available for it, but the only one I've heard of is
the iWay, which seems to have disappeared from the market.

the ipod touch *is* a great photo album device.

Not if it can't accept photos from the camera without a computer, which
it can't AFAIK, making it only a *promising* photo album device. If it
were so great already you wouldn't need to make excuses for it.

that feature is not necessary for it to be a great *album* device,
which is very definitely is, as well as a lot more. it can also play
slide shows created on a computer too. i'm not making any excuses for
it either. if you want a feature it doesn't have, buy something else.