Nikon D50 center single-spot focus (how to set?)

Old December 16th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
George K

Default Nikon D50 center single-spot focus (how to set?)

If you want to always use the Center Focus Point, you can not use the
Digi Vari-Programs as all of these options have a set focus method, see
pages 19-20 of the D50 manual. You will have to use the P, S, A, or M
shooting mode.

From Page 34 of the D50 manual:

"Select Single Area or Dynamic Area for Custom Setting 3 (AF-Area
Mode). Manual focus area selection is not available with Closest
Subject, which is the default setting in Auto, Portrait, Landscape,
Child, and Night Portrait modes."

If you are using the Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Child, or Night
Portrait mode you can not set the single focus point since these modes
all use the Closets Subject mode, see page 20 of the D50 manual.

Emily wrote:
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:14:29 +1100, Joan wrote:

Are you saying that the focus point you select is not the one
the camera uses? You need to wake up the focus system by
half pressing the shutter release before you can change the
selected focus point.

Sorry for being too succinct.
I can CHANGE the focus point to be the center but it won't STAY that way!

I half-press the shutter-release button and the focus point selects the
left-most box in the horizontal centerline of the view and I use the
arrow-wheel to CHANGE the focus point to the center box on the horizontal
line of the view and that picture works just fine.

The next shot I take - the focus point is the left-most box again.

All I want is it to ALWAYS choose the center box since I habitually mumble
to myslef "FOCUS - COMPOSE - COUNT" every time I snap a picture of a
subject.

FOCUS: I focus on the "eyes" of the subject
COMPOSE: I compose the picture, generally breaking the scene into thirds
and choosing where to place the subject. This composition step generally
takes the most time, perhaps five or ten seconds per shot. Only about 1/10
of the time is the subject in the center of the shot after the composition
stage is completed.
COUNT: I count to three backward, either to allow the subject to compose
themself, or to remember to steady my aim, hold my breath, and twitch just
my finger and no other muscle in my body when the shutter releases.

The problem is that the very next shot chooses the left-most focus point
most of the time. Of course, if there is a closer subject in the center or
right focus point, it will choose that; but what I want is to force the
Nikon D50 camera to ALWAYS CHOOSE THE CENTER spot to focus.

This is a use model I have been using for decades and I don't wish to
change it. All I wish is to change the camera setting but I can't figure
out how to force the Nikon D50 to STAY in the center-focus position.

Old December 16th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
George K

If you want to always use the Center Focus Point, you can not use the
Digi Vari-Programs as all of these options have a set focus method, see
pages 19-20 of the D50 manual. You will have to use the P, S, A, or M
shooting mode.

From Page 34 of the D50 manual:

"Select Single Area or Dynamic Area for Custom Setting 3 (AF-Area
Mode). Manual focus area selection is not available with Closest
Subject, which is the default setting in Auto, Portrait, Landscape,
Child, and Night Portrait modes."

If you are using the Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Child, or Night
Portrait mode you can not set the single focus point since these modes
all use the Closets Subject mode, see page 20 of the D50 manual.

Emily wrote:
My Nikon D50 almost always chooses the left of three spots to focus.
How do I set the Nikon D50 to always autofocus on the center?

Old December 16th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tim

[...]

Hi Emily

Looks like you can't lock the focus area like you can on other models
Got this -
From the front and back, the only things to distinguish a D50 and D70/D70s
are some minor cosmetic changes and the fact that the D50 seems to have
shrunk a bit. If you look carefully, you'll see the cosmetic (and sometimes
functional differences). The D50 has:

a.. No DOF preview button.
b.. No Front Command dial.
c.. No Bracketing button.
d.. No Top LCD backlight button.
e.. No AF selector lock button.
f.. No Color LCD protector.
g.. No Metering selection button (replaced with Self timer button).
h.. Night Landscape scene mode is replaced with Child scene mode.
i.. The side panel has only one rubber cover hiding the connectors.
j.. The AF Assist lamp is a little smaller.
k.. The IR remote detector has moved to under the shutter release.
l.. The prism is a little lower and the internal flash a little different
in shape.
From here
http://www.bythom.com/D50REVIEW.htm

Don't know if there's a way of making the D50 favour the centre - you could
try zooming in a bit on the subject but that could be a pain I guess

Is the focus set to closest subject by any chance? might have some bearing
on it??

Not much help I'm afraid

Tim

--
http://www.timdenning.myby.co.uk/

Old December 16th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Roy G

"George K" wrote in message
ps.com...
It lets one obtain focus on an particular object and lock that focus.

No! It does not.

That little "Lock" switch only ensures that the focussing point, chosen by
you, can not be changed to any of the other focussing points, until the
switch is moved to off.

The "Ae / Af " button can be used to lock focus and aperture, so that the
half pressure can be removed from the release. The Menus allow you to decide
whether it will lock one or both.

Roy G

Old December 16th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Joan

Oops, sorry, I have the focus lock set on all the time and wouldn't
want to turn it off. That's why I can't see a need for the button,
not that I can't see a need for focus/exposure lock.

--
Joan

"George K" wrote in message
ps.com...
: The D50 supports focus lock see page 34 of your manual for
information
: and other uses of this feature.
:
: Joan wrote:
: Not found on a D50. I can't fathom why you'd need it.
:
: --
: Joan
: http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
:

Old December 16th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Joan

This sounds more like the problem as Emily hasn't said what major
setting she's using.

--
Joan

"George K" wrote in message
ups.com...
: If you want to always use the Center Focus Point, you can not use
the
: Digi Vari-Programs as all of these options have a set focus method,
see
: pages 19-20 of the D50 manual. You will have to use the P, S, A, or
: shooting mode.
:
: From Page 34 of the D50 manual:
:

Old December 17th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
George K

The D50 does not have the "L" lock. One can use the half shutter
release or the "AE/AF" lock button can be used to lock a given focus
and then recompose. I was trying to explain why one would want to lock
the focus and recompose. It is used for landscape , one to force DOF
to a given distance and depth, and to lock focus when using continuous
mode (see the note at botton of page 34 of the D50 manual)..

I know the D50 does not have the DOF preview button, but one can still
take advantage of it for creative purposes.

Old December 17th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
news.slingshot.co.nz

step 1 - sell nikon on ebay
step 2 - buy canon dslr of your choice
step 3 - consult manual, set centre focus point easily and simply with
logical steps which are easy to recall

lol sorry guys this probably isnt helpful but i couldnt resist

.. .

Old December 17th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
George K

You are obviously easily amused. I have read post here about how Canon
digital SLRs should not be able to be used without the CF card
inserted. Obviously the Canon user did not know about computer tethered
control and shooting of the Canon DSLR. And there were a number of
posters explaining the poster needed to review all the material
included with their camera.

After reading the Rebel XTi/EOS 400D manual, I see on page 40 that the
camera only uses closet focus point in the Auto mode and on page 56
that AF modes are only selectable in the P mode. Sounds familiar.

news.slingshot.co.nz wrote:
step 1 - sell nikon on ebay
step 2 - buy canon dslr of your choice
step 3 - consult manual, set centre focus point easily and simply with
logical steps which are easy to recall

lol sorry guys this probably isnt helpful but i couldnt resist

.. .

Old December 17th 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
scenic_man

banjo wrote:
"Emily" wrote:
My Nikon D50 almost always chooses the left of three spots to focus.
How do I set the Nikon D50 to always autofocus on the center?

i dont know the answer, but i always get the same problem,
it will be interesting to find the anwser.

Ditto, almost.
I have a D70s that I acquired in May (2006),
and it frequently (but not always) decides to focus on the *right*most spot.
Like the OP, I can change it, but it reverts to this odd setting
as soon as I take the shot or, indeed, do almost anything.