Help with Strange Color Square on Photo

Old December 1st 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

Default Help with Strange Color Square on Photo

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 07:52:44 -0500, M-M wrote:

In article ,
Paul J Gans wrote:

http://www.jbandes.com/public/DSC_0126.JPG

It appears to be reflection from the bright light behind the subject
hitting the lens and projecting onto his face. It would happen whether
or not the UV lens was there.

How would a light *behind* the subject hit the lens?
None of the lights to the subject's right (left on the pic) are the
right shape.
To me, it seems that the reflection is coming from somewhere out of
the pic, but still hitting the lens.
Notice also, there's another reflection just below the obvious one,
just above the subject's upper lip.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old December 1st 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
LuvLatins

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 03:57:07 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
wrote:

Rudy Benner wrote:

"LuvLatins" wrote in message
. ..

OK I am sending this to the experts. I am new to digital Photography.
Just moved over from a Konica film SLR. Love my new D200 but I find
the electronic ISO hard to get used to. I keep wanting to compare it
to Film. I constantly feel my pictures are under exposed. I have
heard that this D200 is excellent in low light conditions, so I took
it to times square in Manhattan. Was having so much fun. Turned my
ISO way up and no flash. The pictures some good some bad but I am
getting used to it.

My question is this, I took this photo in the center of times square
and saw it on the LCD its so obvious. Notice the huge blue square
under the subjects eye ? I thought was this banding ? Dumb but it
made me uncomfortable. I now just think its a reflection off the UV
filter I have on the front of all my lenses. This one was a TIFFEN
67mm UV Protector on an 18-70mm DX lens.

http://www.jbandes.com/public/DSC_0126.JPG

I sent it to Nikon and they said its a reflection and I should remove
the filter. I think that is dumb, the filter protects the lens and
enhances the photos I would think. Advise on what caused this any
need to be concerned ?

Remove the filter.

I agree that it is a reflection. But it might just be that
you had a bright light at just the right place to cause it.
Has it happened on any other shot?

I've been taking shots with a UV filter on my lenses for
about 40 years and have never had any problem at all.

---- Paul J. Gans

No just this one picture, that is why I was concerned there might be
something wrong with my camera.
Old December 1st 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
LuvLatins

Paul J Gans wrote:

http://www.jbandes.com/public/DSC_0126.JPG

It appears to be reflection from the bright light behind the subject
hitting the lens and projecting onto his face. It would happen whether
or not the UV lens was there.

Thanks so happy its not my new camera.
Old December 1st 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
LuvLatins

On 30 Nov 2006 22:55:17 -0800, "Arnor" wrote:

Hi,

LuvLatins wrote:
Can you breifly describe how the Histogram works ?

The histogram shows you how the brightness of the pixels in your image
is distributed. On the left is black and the right is white. If your
curve is concentrated on the left, the image may be underexposed, but
if they are concentrated on the right, it may be overexposed. If the
curve is clipped at the top it's called a clipped highlight, meaning
that at that brightness level there is an area in the photo that did
not register any detail. If you take a photo of the sun it is almost
certain to have clipped highlights and the circle of the sun will show
up as a featureless area when you look at it closely. Sometimes
clipped hightlights are ok (like when taking pictures of the sung)
but they should be avoided. When the curve hits the floor, so to
speak, it results in clipped shadows, where the dark area in the photo
is black and generally produces a lot of noise if you try to make it
lighter.

Here are a couple of links that I found after searching google for
"understanding histograms in photography" (without the quotes)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml
http://www.paintedstork.com/digiblog...istograms.html

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Thanks so much
Old December 1st 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
LuvLatins

On 30 Nov 2006 23:24:29 -0800, "Arnor" wrote:

Hi,

Here are a couple of links that I found after searching google for
"understanding histograms in photography" (without the quotes)

One additional link that has a lot of good information:

http://www.sphoto.com/techinfo/histo...histograms.htm

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Thanks after this I may actually understand it now.
Old December 1st 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George K

The bright light behind the subject is reflection off the digital
sensor to the rear of the lens and then back to the sensor.

Old December 1st 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:06:11 -0500, M-M wrote:

In article ,
Bill Funk wrote:

How would a light *behind* the subject hit the lens?
None of the lights to the subject's right (left on the pic) are the
right shape.
To me, it seems that the reflection is coming from somewhere out of
the pic, but still hitting the lens.
Notice also, there's another reflection just below the obvious one,
just above the subject's upper lip.

It appears to be the reflection of the bright sign on the upper left.
Same color and shape. It is only partially hidden by the subject.

If you mean the one just to the left of the subject's head, how can
that be? The reflection is the right color, but the wrong shape. The
reflection is rectangular, while the sign isn't (it's a portion of a
rectangle, some cut off by the head). There's no way the entire sign
could be seen by the lens.

I'll bet the reflection was visible in reality, not just a photographic
phenomenon.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Old December 1st 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

wrote:

Rudy Benner wrote:

"LuvLatins" wrote in message

[...]

Doubt it.
Reflections happen. It's not a defect in the camera, but a phenomenom
that occurs because lenses aren't perfect.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"