My experience getting a book printed by Blurb

Old November 30th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
[email protected]

Default My experience getting a book printed by Blurb

I just received my first custom photo book order from Blurb, and
thought others might be interested in my experience / review. (If
nothing else, Google Groups can archive this for the next person
researching photo book printing...)

This was my first photo book - a photo journal of a trip to the Rocky
Mountains. I decided to make it as a Christmas present for my sister,
who took the trip with me. (She doesn't read photo newsgroups, as far
as I know.) Blurb was the third self-publisher I tried out. The first
was MyPublisher.com. I actually put together a 40-page book with their
software, and it was ready to go, but was a little reluctant to
actually place the order. I wasn't 100% pleased with the book I had
assembled; I found their pre-defined page layouts a little restrictive,
and I wasn't a huge fan of the cover style. There were a few other
things that didn't sit right with me, and while at one point I had
actually typed in my credit card number and was ready to hit "Order", I
decided to check out my other options.

I looked at Viovio next, primarily because they allow you to upload a
PDF to print. I liked that idea, but when I actually tried my hand at
page layout, I was terrible at it, and it was a lot of work. I didn't
have the time to learn page layout software, so I dropped that plan. I
didn't like Viovio's other printing option (automatic layout, with
little or no text), so I ended up at Blurb.

I've been very pleased with both Blurb's software and their support - I
think all my questions were responded to within 24 hours. Their product
range is limited, but their 10x8 hardcover (with dust jacket) was
almost exactly what I was looking for.

Books are assembled using their BookSmart software. It's fast and
simple, but you don't have full creative control. Pick a style/theme,
pick templates for the dust jacket and individual pages, and drop text
and pictures into the predefined text/image area. There were a few
cases where I couldn't find a layout that exactly had what I wanted,
but for the most part, I liked their selection. They seemed a little
more varied and flexible than MyPublisher's.

The templates are very nicely designed, and look quite professional. By
biggest problem with them is that the front and back flaps, front and
back cover, and spine, are all linked as a single template. There are
only a few dust cover templates available, so I had to make a
compromise: I wanted a full-bleed image on the front cover, and this
prevented me from getting the back cover I liked. I ended up leaving
the back cover blank (the template has a full-bleed image on it, but I
didn't put anything there).

Blurb adds a small bar code to the lower-right corner of the back
cover, and this is not visible in the layout software. It looks like
it's possible to accidentally end up with this bar code covering an
important part of your cover. Also, the last page cannot be changed: it
has another bar code, and a small Blurb logo. Every other page can be
changed, including the one that's automatically added at the beginning
with text declaring that the page layouts are copyrighted by Blurb,
Inc.

I divided my book into four chapters (one for each day of the trip).
The software automatically propogated the book title, chapter title,
and page numbers onto every page (though you can remove this if you
want). The templates are smart enough to -not- put any of this
information on pages with full-bleed photos.

Blurb's pricing is different than most other places I looked into. Most
places charge a flat rate for the first 40 pages (or whatever), and
then a price per page after that. Blurb charges in blocks: a book
anywhere from 20 t0 40 pages is one price, then 41 to 80 pages is
another price, etc. This is actually nice; my book ended up a little
over 60 pages long, and it's nice to know that adding a couple blank
pages, or tossing in one extra picture, is free.

Print quality is...about what I expected. It's book-quality, really.
Not as nice as prints, but way cheaper. Viewed from normal reading
distance, the pictures look fine. If you look closely, the individual
dots are visible quickly enough. The text (which is solid-colour, white
in my case) is of excellent print quality. To my eye, the front cover
image (on the dust cover) is a little lower-quality than the interior
of the book.

Blurb does not do any colour manipulation. This was a first for me -
I've always had prints made at labs that do automatic colour
correction, and have never requested otherwise. However, I have a
calibrated monitor. My RAW files were all developed in the sRGB colour
space, which Blurb assured me was perfect. Some of the pictures seem a
-touch- darker than I expected (again, the dust cover seems worst), but
on the whole, no complaints.

The paper feels good quality. However, the pages and back cover of my
book are black, and they pick up fingerprints very easily. Not a
problem with Blurb, but something to consider when designing a book.

A few notes on shipping: I shipped to Canada via UPS Ground. I thought
I was going to be hit with large customs brokerage fees, but the
declared value of the package was $6, so there were no fees. I checked
the packing slip, and the books have been declared as $3 each. I'm not
sure if this is the value of the raw materials or what. (Or, as someone
suggested, they looked at the pictures and decided "Yeah, this is worth
about three bucks.") Either way, it saved me from the hassle of doing
my own brokerage to avoid UPS's fees.

The books (I ordered two) were individually shrink-wrapped, and packed
in a flat cardboard mailer. They arrived in excellent condition. The
package shipped from iPads.com (in Seattle), not Blurb. I don't know if
these companies are affiliated in any way, or if Blurb simply
outsources their printing.

Overall, I'm quite pleased. I'm sure I'll have more books printed in
the future, and unless I want full control over page layout, I see no
reason not to go with Blurb. My 66-page books cost $35 USD each, which
I consider quite reasonable. A friend that used to work in the printing
industry has suggested that I might be able to get a small local print
shop to make a similar book for the same price (of course, that would
require doing my own layout).

And whether you go with Blurb or not, I heartily recommend getting a
book printed, just for the experience of opening the package and seeing
your name printed on the spine. My biggest disappointed right now is
that I'm running out of people to show it to...

- Darryl

Old December 1st 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Al Monte

Wow, someone who had to resort to a vanity press going on and on and on--have
you no shame? So boring and so sad.

ps.com...

Old December 1st 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
MarkČ

Al Monte wrote:
Wow, someone who had to resort to a vanity press going on and on and
on--have you no shame? So boring and so sad.

What the crap, Al???
I, for one, was glad to read it. I print all my own stuff...from 4x6 up to
17"x48" panos, but I've been curious about these book services. To
"madhobbit"...thanks for the detailed info/impressions.

-MarkČ

ps.com...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old December 1st 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
RPN

In article , "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest
even number says...
Al Monte wrote:
Wow, someone who had to resort to a vanity press going on and on and
on--have you no shame? So boring and so sad.

What the crap, Al???
I, for one, was glad to read it. I print all my own stuff...from 4x6 up to
17"x48" panos, but I've been curious about these book services. To
"madhobbit"...thanks for the detailed info/impressions.

-MarkČ

I don't think I would ever feel the need to publish a book, but I also
found it very interesting, and a lot more constructive than a lot of
other posts. It certainly could be a useful post to those who might be
thinking of such a project. My thanks to the OP for taking the time to
share his experience.

ps.com...

Old December 1st 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Frank ess

Al Monte wrote:
Wow, someone who had to resort to a vanity press going on and on and
on--have you no shame? So boring and so sad.

So Al so clueless and so needy and so gone ...

Old December 1st 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Stan Beck

Thanks for the review.

There are many reasons why someone might self-publish other than for vanity.
It is always good to know some publishers who do a decent job.

--
You can take good photos with a bad camera, and horrible photos with a good
camera.

Stan Beck From New Orleans to Brandon MS
To reply, remove 101 from address.
***

ps.com...

Old December 1st 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Kinon O'Cann

"Al Monte" wrote in message
t...
Wow, someone who had to resort to a vanity press going on and on and
on--have you no shame? So boring and so sad.

Uh, why? I use them all the time, and for a lot of good reasons! Here's an
example of why Blurb can be very useful:

1. Shoot a bunch of pictures of the local school football team
2. Create a "yearbook" of all the pictures on Blurb.
3. Provide the link to the now public book so the parents can order if and
when they want.

Want another example? How about a family vacation where you want a quick,
easy, and relatively cheap way to give everyone a set of pix? How about that
holiday gathering? I really don't get your reply!

Old December 1st 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
G.T.

Kinon O'Cann wrote:
"Al Monte" wrote in message
t...
Wow, someone who had to resort to a vanity press going on and on and
on--have you no shame? So boring and so sad.

Want another example? How about a family vacation where you want a quick,
easy, and relatively cheap way to give everyone a set of pix? How about that
holiday gathering? I really don't get your reply!

I get it. He's a pathetic troll who doesn't have a single person to
give a book to.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old December 1st 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
George K

You might want to engage your brain before posting.

Self publishing is not always an ego trip.

My nephew self-publishes travel guides he authors the text, does the
photography and artwork for the books. He has a national distributor
with books being carried in national chain stores and U.S. National
Parks. More than one association thought one of the guides was deserved
an award. So far he has 3 books out and finishing the fourth. No
publisher wanted to publish his first book, so he established his own
publishing firm and found a printer.

http://jameskaiser.com/index.htm

Al Monte wrote:
Wow, someone who had to resort to a vanity press going on and on and on--have
you no shame? So boring and so sad.

ps.com...