Lying in wait.. for James Bond fans only?

Old July 29th 08, 12:01 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

Default Lying in wait.. for James Bond fans only?

Jeff R. wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
Close enough, points awarded. It was a "Rolls Royce Concours
d'Elegance", where the proud Roller owners around Brisbane (Qld, Aust)
got together for a bit of showing off and judging. The Aston just
happened to be parked outside under trees, and it reminded me of the
original JB movies..

Hmmm... so the church was a red herring then, huh?
Sneaky.

Yep! I didn't actually take notice of what that building was - I think
it is a little chapel in the grounds of the venue - Ormiston House.

Ormiston House is a heritage listed restored home (mansion is probably a
better word) of one of Qld's original sugar barons.

I took quite a few shots of the Rollers:
http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_4.jpg

Aha!
Finally a self-portrait of the elusive Mark Thomas!

Should be enough info there to make a positive ID.

Yes, just zoom it right up and you will realise what my highly
identifiable attribute is - yes - pixellation!!

Dunno if I could own one of those *and* keep any vestiges of sanity.

Exactly. I would make the glib observation that the audience, which
clearly was mostly owners and RR enthusiasts (of which I am not),
weren't exactly the happiest looking lot. Just shows that money isn't
everything. And I watched/listened to a bit of the judging:
"running a bit rough"
"yes, one cylinder needs work"
"the a/c compressor isn't working"
"last service cost me $3000, hahaha"

Imagine the cringing when a B-double roars up next to
you on a skinny three-lane highway.

At least the b-double would feel the bump as it ran over it - with mine,
he wouldn't even notice..

I think I'll stick to less nerve-wracking pursuits - like finally
picking up a Triumph Bonneville.

Forgive the trite treatment (O:, but there was a bike near the Aston..
Not quite a Bonneville, or even a Harley, just a wannabe:

http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/kawasaki.jpg
Old July 29th 08, 01:53 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:01:54 +1000, Mark Thomas
wrote:

Jeff R. wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
[...]

To keep up with the Roller owners, though, you need a Vincent Black
Shadow fully restored.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 29th 08, 03:50 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

tony cooper wrote:
I think I'll stick to less nerve-wracking pursuits - like finally
picking up a Triumph Bonneville.

Forgive the trite treatment (O:, but there was a bike near the Aston..
Not quite a Bonneville, or even a Harley, just a wannabe:

http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/kawasaki.jpg

To keep up with the Roller owners, though, you need a Vincent Black
Shadow fully restored.

Had to look that one up...
http://bikes.drive.com.au/Editorial/...rticleId=10767
Very cool bike. 151mph in 1948!!

I'd never go for a Harley, but that...

Old July 29th 08, 09:47 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

"Mark Thomas" wrote in message
I went to a sort-of-unrelated event today and took quite a few snaps, some
of which I may post later. But isn't it always the way - as I browsed over
the results, the shot that took my eye was just a careless grab.

http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_martin.jpg

Pity about the crop and the just-a-bit-too-obvious flash fill (and there's
some amateurish ps work to eliminate a couple of annoying items that would
have detracted from the mood). Maybe it is just because I'm a Sean Connery
fan that I like it..

Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there are
clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor cloning - I
may fix it up later.. or not.

I have to ask do you have that in something larger so I can use it as a
wallpaper, I would love to own a DB5 one day, but finding one in good
condition and priced at something lower than a kings ransom is difficult :-)
BTW screen res is 1680 x 1050 if that's at all possible. lovely photo and
the plates probably double the value of that particular car :-)

--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

Old July 29th 08, 10:59 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

Atheist Chaplain wrote:
I have to ask do you have that in something larger so I can use it as a
wallpaper, I would love to own a DB5 one day, but finding one in good
condition and priced at something lower than a kings ransom is difficult
:-)
BTW screen res is 1680 x 1050 if that's at all possible.

Certainly, AC. Caring and sharing is what it is all about! You can
even have a choice of mono or colour:
http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_mono.jpg
http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_colour.jpg

I confess that rather cursory post-processing was applied to these, hope
they are ok for your purpose..

Now I know AC will do the right thing, but for anyone else who downloads
those images, please don't sell them, ok? (O:

Thanks for the kind comments, AC.

Old July 29th 08, 12:33 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

Atheist Chaplain wrote:
I have to ask do you have that in something larger so I can use it as a
wallpaper, I would love to own a DB5 one day, but finding one in good
condition and priced at something lower than a kings ransom is difficult
:-)
BTW screen res is 1680 x 1050 if that's at all possible.

Certainly, AC. Caring and sharing is what it is all about! You can even
have a choice of mono or colour:
http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_mono.jpg
http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_colour.jpg

I confess that rather cursory post-processing was applied to these, hope
they are ok for your purpose..

Now I know AC will do the right thing, but for anyone else who downloads
those images, please don't sell them, ok? (O:

Thanks for the kind comments, AC.

you know I think it stands out more as a mono than colour, it ads to the
character of the car IMHO
Many thanks Mark, that has immediately gone into the rotation (I use
Webshots desktop (been a subscriber for many years now)) and this will bring
a pleasant little surprise when I close a few windows down and the DB5 is
gleaming back at me :-)

--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

Old July 30th 08, 02:06 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
D-Mac[_5_]

Mark Thomas wrote:
Atheist Chaplain wrote:
I have to ask do you have that in something larger so I can use it as
a wallpaper, I would love to own a DB5 one day, but finding one in
good condition and priced at something lower than a kings ransom is
difficult :-)
BTW screen res is 1680 x 1050 if that's at all possible.

Certainly, AC. Caring and sharing is what it is all about! You can
even have a choice of mono or colour:
http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_mono.jpg
http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_colour.jpg

I confess that rather cursory post-processing was applied to these, hope
they are ok for your purpose..

Now I know AC will do the right thing, but for anyone else who downloads
those images, please don't sell them, ok? (O:

Thanks for the kind comments, AC.

Why is all the sky blown out? Shouldn't a man with your (claimed)
experience have been able to do something about that?
Old July 30th 08, 02:34 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Mr.T

"D-Mac" wrote in message
Why is all the sky blown out? Shouldn't a man with your (claimed)
experience have been able to do something about that?

And some fill flash or a reflector, or at the very least some contrast
adjustment in PS.

MrT.

Old July 30th 08, 06:27 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
D-Mac[_5_]

Mr.T wrote:
"D-Mac" wrote in message
Why is all the sky blown out? Shouldn't a man with your (claimed)
experience have been able to do something about that?

And some fill flash or a reflector, or at the very least some contrast
adjustment in PS.

MrT.

I think the real problem is the camera. Most small (read consumer range
cameras)with CCD sensors simply don't have enough contrast range for
this sort of shot. I guess there is only so much you can carry on a bike
but a tripod and HDR would have fixed a static shot like this.

Mark was using a flash that day, I thing the diffuser he used crippled
the flash. It simply couldn't output enough power for the job.

My wife's little Nikon D60 does an amazing job in these situations, out
performing a 40D Canon and blowing away her previous Panasonic results
which did exactly the same as Mark's camera does, even with a Metz flash
to help!
Old July 30th 08, 09:04 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

D-Mac wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
Atheist Chaplain wrote:
[...]

I only worry about blown highlights when they show loss of important
detail. You may think this image is about the sky but many might
disagree. Getting a reasonable image in such deep shadow without
overdoing the flash pretty much requires a blown sky, unless it was
HDR'd. HDR, imo, would have completely ruined the effect.

But I'm sure you can show us a better similar shot. In fact (and here's
another free plug!) a quick glance at images 2 and 9 he
http://www.douglasjames.com.au/portfolio/weddings/
...show just how well *you* can control those skies in similar
situations! I would suggest a quick check of your own house might be in
order. Perhaps you can explain the difference? It's ok for you but not me?

I answered your question... so:

Where's your Manly panorama?
Where's the description of me from your fantasy security footage?
Why did you keep forgetting you were your 'daughter' in your latest
sockpuppet?
Why do you (and your sockpuppet) both call printers 'devises'?
Why do you (and your sockpuppet) both think black' data is carried in
the green channel of RGB 'devises'? Citation?
Also, please provide a citation for the court case in which you were
awarded a copyright 'settlement'.

Lastly, we are still waiting with baited breath for an address of any of
your multitudinous printing labs or galleries.

Over to you, Dougie.