Lying in wait.. for James Bond fans only?

Old July 27th 08, 06:36 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

Default Lying in wait.. for James Bond fans only?

I went to a sort-of-unrelated event today and took quite a few snaps,
some of which I may post later. But isn't it always the way - as I
browsed over the results, the shot that took my eye was just a careless
grab.

http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_martin.jpg

Pity about the crop and the just-a-bit-too-obvious flash fill (and
there's some amateurish ps work to eliminate a couple of annoying items
that would have detracted from the mood). Maybe it is just because I'm a
Sean Connery fan that I like it..

Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there are
clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor cloning - I
may fix it up later.. or not.
Old July 27th 08, 07:12 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Jeff R.

Mark Thomas wrote:

Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there
are clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor
cloning - I may fix it up later.. or not.

Hmmm... a bunch of Rollers and an Aston outside a church... a wedding?

Have you seen the episode of Top Gear in which that **** Jeremy Clarkson
pitted a DB5 and an E-type Jag against a modern car?

Sadly the modern rice-burner won - both in speed and handling.

Tragically, the modern car was a.... gulp Honda Accord.

At least the DB and the E won the appearance and style contest hands-down.

--
Jeff R.

Old July 27th 08, 07:37 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

Jeff R. wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:

Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there
are clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor
cloning - I may fix it up later.. or not.

Hmmm... a bunch of Rollers and an Aston outside a church... a wedding?

Nope, but that was indeed the obvious answer, and you spotted the 'clue'
such as it was. I shall post the real answer shortly.. It would be good
if it was a clandestine mafia event or something, but sadly it's not
that exciting..

Have you seen the episode of Top Gear in which that **** Jeremy Clarkson
pitted a DB5 and an E-type Jag against a modern car?

Yep!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW91gwiaFsk

I agree with your assessment of JC, but I like his voice and I havta
admit I love watching that show. And if someone gave me one of those
modernised db5's he drives at the end, I'd probably keep it.

(If you visit that link, check out the topmost 'related' video you will
probably get - gotta be proud of the Monaro!!)

Old July 27th 08, 02:53 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:36:13 +1000, Mark Thomas
wrote:

Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there are
clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor cloning - I
may fix it up later.. or not.

Grand opening of the new Gift Shoppe and Reliquary Boutique at St
Aslem's of the Heath, Hampstead.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 27th 08, 03:23 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
dj_nme[_2_]

Mark Thomas wrote:
I went to a sort-of-unrelated event today and took quite a few snaps,
some of which I may post later. But isn't it always the way - as I
browsed over the results, the shot that took my eye was just a careless
grab.

http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_martin.jpg

Pity about the crop and the just-a-bit-too-obvious flash fill (and
there's some amateurish ps work to eliminate a couple of annoying items
that would have detracted from the mood). Maybe it is just because I'm a
Sean Connery fan that I like it..

It's a great photo, so don't be so hard on yourself.
The B&W treatment makes the specular highlights from the flash look "right".

Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there are
clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor cloning - I
may fix it up later.. or not.

Vintage car club?
Old July 27th 08, 05:52 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

dj_nme wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
[...]

Lord March's garden party?

--
Frank ess
Old July 28th 08, 06:28 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Paul Bartram

"Mark Thomas" wrote

Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there are
clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor cloning - I
may fix it up later.. or not.

Hmm... Police Seized Auction of drug dealer's property? No, maybe not. The
cars would be even more expensive...

Seeing the cross in the background, maybe a funeral or remembrance
gathering?

Paul

Old July 28th 08, 11:08 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

dj_nme wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
[...]

Close enough, points awarded. It was a "Rolls Royce Concours
d'Elegance", where the proud Roller owners around Brisbane (Qld, Aust)
got together for a bit of showing off and judging. The Aston just
happened to be parked outside under trees, and it reminded me of the
original JB movies..

I took quite a few shots of the Rollers:
http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_1.jpg
http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_2.jpg
http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_3.jpg
http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_4.jpg
http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_5.jpg

...but nothing that I'm particularly happy with. The day was somewhat
overcast and had that ugly flat light you get sometimes - good for
portraiture, but not cars.

Thanks for the comments.
Old July 28th 08, 02:04 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Jeff R.

Mark Thomas wrote:
Close enough, points awarded. It was a "Rolls Royce Concours
d'Elegance", where the proud Roller owners around Brisbane (Qld, Aust)
got together for a bit of showing off and judging. The Aston just
happened to be parked outside under trees, and it reminded me of the
original JB movies..

Hmmm... so the church was a red herring then, huh?
Sneaky.

I took quite a few shots of the Rollers:
http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_4.jpg

Aha!
Finally a self-portrait of the elusive Mark Thomas!

Should be enough info there to make a positive ID.

Dunno if I could own one of those *and* keep any vestiges of sanity. Can
you imagine parking it in the Coles carpark while you duck in for a carton
of milk? Imagine the cringing when a B-double roars up next to you on a
skinny three-lane highway.

Nup.
I think I'll stick to less nerve-wracking pursuits - like finally picking up
a Triumph Bonneville.

(sigghhhhhh)

--
Jeff R.