Is there a moderator? Why don'; you stop the spam?

Old April 27th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Default Is there a moderator? Why don'; you stop the spam?

leo6645 wrote:
Most of the messages in this group are spam - why is the moderator
allowing this? I invite the users to boycott the site until the spam
is gone..!
(Now I know I'm the next boycotted member.....)

Basic usenet has no moderators.

This NG is so quiet now that the spam hardly affects it.

The trick is to increase the signal/noise ratio by participation, but
too many MFers have gone DSLR (35mm).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 27th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
leo6645 wrote:
Most of the messages in this group are spam - why is the moderator
allowing this? I invite the users to boycott the site until the spam
is gone..!
(Now I know I'm the next boycotted member.....)

Basic usenet has no moderators.

This NG is so quiet now that the spam hardly affects it.

The trick is to increase the signal/noise ratio by participation, but too
many MFers have gone DSLR (35mm).

The irony is that most DSLRs are not 35mm as far as sensor size is
concerned. The technology is there to make 35mm sized sensors (24mm x
36mm), but the manufacturers keep cranking out those less than 35mm sized
sensors...whence the 1.6 factor lenses. One quick consequence is the rarity
of DSLR lenses shorter than 20mm as per 35mm photography. At 1.6 factor, a
lens needs to be around 12mm in actuality to be equivalent to 20mm as per
35mm photography. Not too many DSLR lenses around with that focal length.

Another consequence is that because depth of field at any given f/stop of a
lens is dependent on actual focal length rather than on sensor/film size, a
DSLR lens equivalent to a 100mm focal length (35mm photography) is 62.5mm
and has the depth of field of a 62.5mm lens. So it is not feasible to have
a DSLR with a lens with focal length equivalent to a 35mm 100mm lens and a
depth of field of that same 35mm 100mm lens.

All these anomalies will go away once the DSLRs commonly have 35mm sized
sensors. But as long as the marketplace is receptive to this 1.6 factor,
don't hold your breath.

Old April 30th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Peter Chant[_2_]

Alan Browne wrote:

The trick is to increase the signal/noise ratio by participation, but
too many MFers have gone DSLR (35mm).

I've not but can't think of anything intellegent to say...

except I ought to do more of it. And print more stuff...

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old May 5th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
G.T.

Alan Browne wrote:
leo6645 wrote:
Most of the messages in this group are spam - why is the moderator
allowing this? I invite the users to boycott the site until the spam
is gone..!
(Now I know I'm the next boycotted member.....)

Basic usenet has no moderators.

This NG is so quiet now that the spam hardly affects it.

The trick is to increase the signal/noise ratio by participation, but
too many MFers have gone DSLR (35mm).

After dedicating way too much time the last few months to my event back
on 4/19 I finally dedicated a few days to photography. I have several
rolls of Tri-X 400 and Pan F Plus to develop and two rolls of 220 Porta
160VC to take to the lab since I don't know how to develop color.

I love my Mamiya 645 Pro. The viewfinder on my Rebel XT cracks me up
it's so tiny after using my Mamiya.

Next years event:
http://groups.google.com/group/r2rrrr-poker-ride

Cheers,