Old March 29th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Mr. Strat

Default Loading 120 film onto reels

In article , Bruce
wrote:

Thanks everyone for the input. What I decided to do is to remove the spring
clip entirely from the reel, and then fold over about a 1/2 inch section of
the film strip and use that to clip it onto one of the cross pieces on the
reel. That seems to work pretty well.

Some of my reels have the metal clip on the inside, others don't. Once
you get used to the process, it really doesn't matter.
Old April 2nd 08, 11:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
van dark

chop off the edges of the film on both sides (by scissors).
between your body and a rim of the table is running slowly your film
(no curliness), in the full dark, of course.
I load the film onto the reel around 60sec.
I use a "PLASTIMAT" tank (old czech product). No problem. An volume is
550ml for 120 film.
Van

Bruce napsal(a):
I am just getting into 120 format B/W film processesing. The problem I am
having is loading the film onto the reel. I have done a lot of 35 mm
processing in the past and didn't have a big problem with loading the reels,
however I find the 120 format to be a lot more difficult. The main problem
seems to be the paper backing and the stiffer base, or "curliness", of the
120 film. The reel I am using has a spring type clip.

Anybody have some tips for doing this? Should I cut the film off of the
paper reel first? Would it make sense to unroll the first part of the film
and clip it on (in reduced light of course) and then roll on the rest of the
reel? If so how do I stop the rest of the spool from unreeling while I am
clipping the leader on? Also I have seen the the past these "ratchet" type
reels, are these a better alternative?

I suspect the answer is practice makes perfect, I have a sacrificial roll of
film I am practicing with, but that first step of clipping onto the reel is
a bear! Even with the lights on it is a pain to do it, in the dark it is
much worse.