Canon's "Rebel". What a stupid name.

Old December 6th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Brace

Default Canon's "Rebel". What a stupid name.

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
.. .
In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems John wrote:
I wonder what possesses marketing geniuses to come up with certain
product names?

I hate saying I have a Canon Rebel. Instead, I say I have a Canon 400D.

Other product names that annoy me:

A Black & Decker belt sander named "Dragster"

A Mercedes-Benz automobile named "Kompressor"

A Delta sander named "BOSS".

Is it just me that is irritated by what seems like childish product
names?

It is a problem with marketting and the American perception. The rest of
the
world does not have to endure a "Digital Rebel". Apparently, you are a
minority in America as Rebel sells more cameras than "400D". I happen to
agree with your opinion on this.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

The Delta sander is named a Bench Oscillating Spindle Sander, hence the
short (acronym) B.O.S.S. (with the periods as is printed on the sander's
label).
Not so strange after all!!
Bob

Old December 6th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John

"John" wrote in message
m...
I wonder what possesses marketing geniuses to come up with certain product
names?

I hate saying I have a Canon Rebel. Instead, I say I have a Canon 400D.

Other product names that annoy me:

A Black & Decker belt sander named "Dragster"
A Mercedes-Benz automobile named "Kompressor"
A Delta sander named "BOSS".

Is it just me that is irritated by what seems like childish product names?

LOL! John, you made my day.

--
jjs who drove a Rabbit once (how embarassing) and still drives a BUG! (fer
crying out loud!)

Old December 6th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John

"Roy G" wrote in message

I don't think Dimage is silly.

"D" for digital + "Image" that is quite neat.

I like it because it's so close to Damage that it's the truth.

Old December 6th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Keith Baird

John wrote:
A Mercedes-Benz automobile named "Kompressor"

First, it is not the name of the automobile but a qualifier like "sport"
or "diesel."

Second, "kompressor" is the german term for a supercharger and is used
only on MB's models that incorporate a supercharger.

--/eith
Old December 6th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

In article , Michael
Johnson, PE wrote:

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems John wrote:
I wonder what possesses marketing geniuses to come up with certain product
names?

I hate saying I have a Canon Rebel. Instead, I say I have a Canon 400D.

Other product names that annoy me:

A Black & Decker belt sander named "Dragster"

A Mercedes-Benz automobile named "Kompressor"

A Delta sander named "BOSS".

Is it just me that is irritated by what seems like childish product names?

It is a problem with marketting and the American perception. The rest of
the
world does not have to endure a "Digital Rebel". Apparently, you are a
minority in America as Rebel sells more cameras than "400D". I happen to
agree with your opinion on this.

Isn't the Japanese name for the 400D (or some country's version) called
the "KISS"? I think I would take the Rebel name over that one. I would
like to observe the process for naming some of the products sold here in
the USA and abroad. It might make for a good reality TV show and at
least as entertaining as some of the other crap they feed us.

Marketing actually is not related to having something worth selling.
It is all about getting "responses," like pigeons pecking at dark spots
in the hope one would turn out to be edible.
Old December 6th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Roy G wrote:
"Jim Townsend" wrote in message

I've always shuddered at the Minolta name D'image.

It sounds too much like Damage, or the french world Dommage which
translates
roughly as 'a pity' or 'too bad'.

I don't think Dimage is silly.

"D" for digital + "Image" that is quite neat.

But it has the word "dim" in it! Not good associative thought. Although
I guess I've pronounced it "dee- maj"

--
john mcwilliams
Old December 6th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

By the Way "Kompressor" is just Mercedes speak for Diesel, they have that
description on the back in Europe.

Actually it is a turbo-charged (maybe super charged??) 4 cylinder in
the US don't believe it was a Diesel too. They thought it sounded more
Tutonic than "Turbo".

Tom

Old December 6th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Gartshore

In article , roy.gibson1
@REMOVE.tesco.net says...
By the Way "Kompressor" is just Mercedes speak for Diesel, they have that
description on the back in Europe.

Oddly enough Mercedes speak for Diesel is... Diesel..

Kompressor means supercharger.. As in the SLK 230 Kompressor.

T.
Old December 6th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"just bob" kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
m...
I wonder what possesses marketing geniuses to come up with certain product
names?

I always assumed the Rebel name came from Canon's Andre Aggasi's
advertising campaign many years ago.

Who?

Old December 6th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank ess

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , Michael
Johnson, PE wrote:

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
[...]

Those of you who have visited the San Diego Wild Animal park might
like to know the evolution of the name of the monorail. There were
exhausting meetings with endless discussion about what it should be
called. Eventually the committee settled on "(Something or other) Bush
Line", but "(Something or other) just wouldn't come right, somehow.
Finally, one tired and cynical member said, "Who gives a s**t anyway?"
And so it came to be: The Wgasa Bush Line.

True story told to me by a man who took a seminar with a member of the
committee, who guaranteed its veracity. Every time I ride the thing I
ask the guide how the name came to be. They seem to have been coached
to say, "If you know enough to ask that question you probably know the
answer."

--
Frank ess