Canon's "Rebel". What a stupid name.

Old December 6th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Hilton

Default Canon's "Rebel". What a stupid name.

I wonder what possesses marketing geniuses to come up with certain product names?

I hate saying I have a Canon Rebel. Instead, I say I have a Canon 400D.

It is a problem with marketting and the American perception. The rest of the
world does not have to endure a "Digital Rebel".

-

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

Isn't the Japanese name for the 400D called
the "KISS"? I think I would take the Rebel name over that one.

Took the words right off my keyboard

Bill

Old December 6th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

David J. Littleboy schreef:

"John" wrote:

I wonder what possesses marketing geniuses to come up with certain product
names?

I hate saying I have a Canon Rebel. Instead, I say I have a Canon 400D.

It could be worse. If you lived in Japan, you would have bought a Cannon
Kiss.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Now you're repeating others...

Old December 6th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

wrote:
David J. Littleboy schreef:
"John" wrote:

I wonder what possesses marketing geniuses to come up with certain
product
names?

I hate saying I have a Canon Rebel. Instead, I say I have a Canon
400D.

It could be worse. If you lived in Japan, you would have bought a Canon
Kiss.

Now you're repeating others...

Kiss my Rebel *ss!

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old December 6th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Andy

On Dec 6, 6:59 am, John wrote:
I wonder what possesses marketing geniuses to come up with certain product names?

I hate saying I have a Canon Rebel. Instead, I say I have a Canon 400D.

Not as poor a name as the Pentax *istD series. I love my DS but I
still don't know how to say the name! I may have to get the K10D
because I think I can say that correctly ;-)

Andy

Old December 6th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Thomas T. Veldhouse

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

Isn't the Japanese name for the 400D (or some country's version) called
the "KISS"? I think I would take the Rebel name over that one. I would
like to observe the process for naming some of the products sold here in
the USA and abroad. It might make for a good reality TV show and at
least as entertaining as some of the other crap they feed us.

Gotta love Nikon, they don't seem to do this [anymore]. They used to use N80
in America and F80 abroad, but I suspect the difference was solely to make it
easier to handle warranty work.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old December 6th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
just bob

"John" wrote in message
m...
I wonder what possesses marketing geniuses to come up with certain product
names?

I always assumed the Rebel name came from Canon's Andre Aggasi's advertising
campaign many years ago.

Old December 6th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Arnor

Hi Roy,

Roy G wrote:
By the Way "Kompressor" is just Mercedes speak for Diesel, they have that
description on the back in Europe.

I think Kompressor is the same as Turbo in English. Kompressor means
compressor which is essentially what a turbo charger is. Either way
it's just a air compressor that compresses air into the combustion
chamber, thus increasing the oxygen in the mix and thusly creating a
more powerful explosion = more powerg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KOMPRESSOR

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Old December 6th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Todd H.

nospam writes:

In article , John
wrote:

I wonder what possesses marketing geniuses to come up with certain product
names?

I hate saying I have a Canon Rebel. Instead, I say I have a Canon 400D.

Other product names that annoy me:

A Black & Decker belt sander named "Dragster"

A Mercedes-Benz automobile named "Kompressor"

A Delta sander named "BOSS".

Is it just me that is irritated by what seems like childish product names?

none of those are as stupid as 'pentax *ist-d'

Good point. I didn't know how to mentally pronounce it and quit
caring.

Easy to get a trademark on such idiocy though. :-)

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old December 6th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

Arnor wrote:
Hi Roy,

Roy G wrote:
By the Way "Kompressor" is just Mercedes speak for Diesel, they have that
description on the back in Europe.

I think Kompressor is the same as Turbo in English. Kompressor means
compressor which is essentially what a turbo charger is. Either way
it's just a air compressor that compresses air into the combustion
chamber, thus increasing the oxygen in the mix and thusly creating a
more powerful explosion = more powerg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KOMPRESSOR

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

However, last time I looked (ie in 1999), Mercedes used superchargers as
opposed to turbochargers (ie not driven by exhaust gases). Same idea,
though. But I might be wrong.
Old December 6th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"Jim Townsend" wrote in message
John wrote:

I wonder what possesses marketing geniuses to come up with certain
product names?

I hate saying I have a Canon Rebel. Instead, I say I have a Canon 400D.

Other product names that annoy me:

A Black & Decker belt sander named "Dragster"

A Mercedes-Benz automobile named "Kompressor"

A Delta sander named "BOSS".

Is it just me that is irritated by what seems like childish product
names?

I've always shuddered at the Minolta name D'image.

It sounds too much like Damage, or the french world Dommage which
translates
roughly as 'a pity' or 'too bad'.

I don't think Dimage is silly.

"D" for digital + "Image" that is quite neat.

Roy G