Nikon D850 is Camera of the Year in Japan

Old December 31st 17, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Nikon D850 is Camera of the Year in Japan

https://www.lightstalking.com/nikon-d850-camera-year-japan

"The Nikon D850 is a full-frame DSLR camera with a first-ever
back-illuminated image sensor for vast image quality improvement.
The sensor was the first to achieve 100 points on DXO."

--
Sandman
Old December 31st 17, 01:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

https://www.lightstalking.com/nikon-d850-camera-year-japan

"The Nikon D850 is a full-frame DSLR camera with a first-ever
back-illuminated image sensor for vast image quality improvement.
The sensor was the first to achieve 100 points on DXO."

dxo numbers are meaningless and 100 is not perfect. the scores can (and
do) go higher).

the iphone x achieved a 101, as did the pentax and hasselblad medium
format cameras, and you can be certain that they don't produce the same
image quailty. the red helium scored 108.

they also rated the nikon d850 with 14.8 stops of dynamic range, a
mathematical impossibility.

dxo is best ignored.
Old December 31st 17, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Dec 31, 2017, Sandman wrote
(in ):

https://www.lightstalking.com/nikon-d850-camera-year-japan

"The Nikon D850 is a full-frame DSLR camera with a first-ever
back-illuminated image sensor for vast image quality improvement.
The sensor was the first to achieve 100 points on DXO."

All very nice, but as a hobbyist, amateur photographer, is this a camera I
must have?

I don’t believe so.

Savageduck

Old January 1st 18, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

Sandman:
https://www.lightstalking.com/nikon-d850-camera-year-japan

"The Nikon D850 is a full-frame DSLR camera with a first-ever
back-illuminated image sensor for vast image quality improvement.
The sensor was the first to achieve 100 points on DXO."

All very nice, but as a hobbyist, amateur photographer, is this a
camera I must have?

I don’t believe so.

Of course not, nor is anyone saying it is. You must have the D500 Just
kidding, just must have whatever camera feels best for you. I just think the
D850 is a pretty big deal and an interesting product in the supposedly
"dying" DSLR market.

--
Sandman
Old January 1st 18, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 1, 2018, Sandman wrote
(in ):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

Sandman:
https://www.lightstalking.com/nikon-d850-camera-year-japan

"The Nikon D850 is a full-frame DSLR camera with a first-ever
back-illuminated image sensor for vast image quality improvement.
The sensor was the first to achieve 100 points on DXO."

All very nice, but as a hobbyist, amateur photographer, is this a
camera I must have?

I don’t believe so.

Of course not, nor is anyone saying it is. You must have the D500 Just
kidding, just must have whatever camera feels best for you. I just think the
D850 is a pretty big deal and an interesting product in the supposedly
"dying" DSLR market.

Yup! I agree with all that, there is no denying the quality, and capability
of both the D500, and the D850. If Nikon had released the D500 as a D300S
successor two years earlier than they did, I might well be using one today
rather than making my move to the Fujifilm X-Camera system. I am quite happy
with my X-T2.

Savageduck

Old January 1st 18, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 12/31/2017 8:14 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Dec 31, 2017, Sandman wrote
(in ):

https://www.lightstalking.com/nikon-d850-camera-year-japan

"The Nikon D850 is a full-frame DSLR camera with a first-ever
back-illuminated image sensor for vast image quality improvement.
The sensor was the first to achieve 100 points on DXO."

All very nice, but as a hobbyist, amateur photographer, is this a camera I
must have?

I don’t believe so.

I am very tempted, but have to wait. The articulating screen is almost a
necessity for me.

--
PeterN
Old January 1st 18, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 1, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 12/31/2017 8:14 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Dec 31, 2017, Sandman wrote
(in ):

https://www.lightstalking.com/nikon-d850-camera-year-japan

"The Nikon D850 is a full-frame DSLR camera with a first-ever
back-illuminated image sensor for vast image quality improvement.
The sensor was the first to achieve 100 points on DXO."

All very nice, but as a hobbyist, amateur photographer, is this a camera I
must have?

I don’t believe so.

I am very tempted, but have to wait. The articulating screen is almost a
necessity for me.

I have that with my X-T2.

Savageduck

Old January 1st 18, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/1/2018 1:38 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 1, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 12/31/2017 8:14 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Dec 31, 2017, Sandman wrote
(in ):

https://www.lightstalking.com/nikon-d850-camera-year-japan

"The Nikon D850 is a full-frame DSLR camera with a first-ever
back-illuminated image sensor for vast image quality improvement.
The sensor was the first to achieve 100 points on DXO."

All very nice, but as a hobbyist, amateur photographer, is this a camera I
must have?

I don’t believe so.

I am very tempted, but have to wait. The articulating screen is almost a
necessity for me.

I have that with my X-T2.

Does you Nikon glass work well?

--
PeterN
Old January 1st 18, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 1, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 1/1/2018 1:38 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 1, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 12/31/2017 8:14 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Dec 31, 2017, Sandman wrote
(in ):

https://www.lightstalking.com/nikon-d850-camera-year-japan

"The Nikon D850 is a full-frame DSLR camera with a first-ever
back-illuminated image sensor for vast image quality improvement.
The sensor was the first to achieve 100 points on DXO."

All very nice, but as a hobbyist, amateur photographer, is this a camera I
must have?

I don’t believe so.

I am very tempted, but have to wait. The articulating screen is almost a
necessity for me.

I have that with my X-T2.

Does you Nikon glass work well?

What is well?

It works well enough on my D300S, but if you mean on my Fujifilm cameras, I
have an Nikon-Fuji-X mount adapter which allows me to use my Nikon glass with
the X-T2. However, that makes everything all manual. No AF, no AE.
Fortunately, one of the benefits of many of the mirrorless systems is the
ease of using manual focus, and exposure adjustments.

I also have six Fujinon lenses which have proven to be some of the best glass
I have ever used. I still have another two or three on my wish list. So there
has been little need to go to my Nikkor stuff. The only Nikon mount lens I
have regularly used on the Fujifilm cameras, has been my Tokina 11-16mm
f/2.8.

Savageduck

Old January 1st 18, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/1/2018 3:00 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 1, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I have heard some really good things about the Fuji. My D500 is exactly
what I want for wildlife & dark landscapes. If I did get the 850, It
would be a replacement for the 800. I would use it for macro & landscape.
If I did get the 850

--
PeterN