On1 Photo RAW 2018 Final Release

Old November 12th 17, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

Default On1 Photo RAW 2018 Final Release

On 11/12/2017 2:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 12, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 11/12/2017 3:53 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
In , PeterN says...

Neither LR nor ACR apply the RAW converter, unless you tell it too.
Unless you are shooting for all shots to have the same look, that is the
was it should be. I do not want profile adjustments to be made, unless
there is a reason. When I am using a WA lens, There are times I want the
distortion. Consider this pano, which is incomplete.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4r568h1pq...%20pass_DxO.jp
g?dl=0
Oops! I meant to say apply lens distortion correction, which is what I
thought you meant.

ACR does apply the lens distortion correction by default.

You must have a different version than I have.

ACR sees the Olympus lens profile as imbedded in the metadata, and does apply
that by default. I have just checked.

Strange. I have to tell ACR to apply corrections, even though it sees my
lens. As I said earlier, I do not want any correction applied
automatically.
I wonder if there is a preference setting. Or perhaps we are talking
about two different things.

--
PeterN
Old November 12th 17, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 12, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4r568h1pq...ist%20pass_DxO.
jp
g?dl=0
Oops! I meant to say apply lens distortion correction, which is what I
thought you meant.

ACR does apply the lens distortion correction by default.

You must have a different version than I have.

ACR sees the Olympus lens profile as imbedded in the metadata, and does
apply that by default. I have just checked.

Strange. I have to tell ACR to apply corrections, even though it sees my
lens. As I said earlier, I do not want any correction applied
automatically.
I wonder if there is a preference setting. Or perhaps we are talking
about two different things.

That is specific to that particular Olympus lens. Since the profile is
metadata embedded, ACR has no say in the matter, and the profile is
auto-applied.

Savageduck

Old November 12th 17, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article .com,
Savageduck says...

That is specific to that particular Olympus lens. Since the profile is
metadata embedded, ACR has no say in the matter, and the profile is
auto-applied.

Even the RAW files of other camera-lens combos have embedded lens
profiles. For instance:

- Sony A65 with the 16-70, 16-80 and 70-300 G SSM (and probably several
other lenses as well)
- Panasonic GM1 with the 12-32 lens (and probably many other lenses as
well)

Probably most cameras nowadays embed the lens profile into their RAW
files.
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 13th 17, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 12, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...

That is specific to that particular Olympus lens. Since the profile is
metadata embedded, ACR has no say in the matter, and the profile is
auto-applied.

Even the RAW files of other camera-lens combos have embedded lens
profiles. For instance:

- Sony A65 with the 16-70, 16-80 and 70-300 G SSM (and probably several
other lenses as well)
- Panasonic GM1 with the 12-32 lens (and probably many other lenses as
well)

Probably most cameras nowadays embed the lens profile into their RAW
files.

I am not so sure of most cameras, but it is true of Fujifilm/Fujinon.
However, that is a feature which is On/Off switchable in the X-series
cameras, and is on by default. The differences in software dealing with this
feature are obvious. Adobe does a particularly good job of this, probably
because of collaboration with the various camera manufacturers.

Savageduck

Old November 13th 17, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 16:59:19 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Bill W says...
I have the new On1 too, so if you want to post a download link, I'll
play along.

If you send me your email address, I'll send you the download link.

I sent you an email.
Old November 13th 17, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Bill W says...

I sent you an email.

I just sent you the link.
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 13th 17, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 20:11:01 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Bill W says...

I sent you an email.

I just sent you the link.

Got it, but it will probably be a couple of days to get to it.

Thanks.
Old November 13th 17, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 20:11:01 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Bill W says...

I sent you an email.

I just sent you the link.

After a quick look, these are my comments:

Your lens is properly identified, but there is no profile for that
lens included. You can always select another lens from the dropdown
list, and maybe find something that looks right. It doesn't matter in
this case, but under Edit/Preferences/File, there is a check box at
the bottom to apply lens correction automatically.

The highlight in the open doorway is just blown out, and
unrecoverable. Some detail is recoverable on the column, but not all.

The CA is easily removed with one slider in the lens correction panel.

The photo appears to be very low resolution (I'm working the raw
file), and there does appear to be some camera shake on top of that.

I do like the photo, though.

I'm going to look at it in LR next.

Old November 13th 17, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

Okay, now I see that the lens correction is automatically applied -
it's built-in. I see no geometric difference between the jpg and the
raw in either On1 or LR.
Old November 14th 17, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Bill W says...
Okay, now I see that the lens correction is automatically applied -
it's built-in. I see no geometric difference between the jpg and the
raw in either On1 or LR.

Yes, the Adobe software correctly applies the lens profile. But I
thought we were talking about the ON1 converter?
--
Alfred Molon