Geotagging app

Old November 6th 17, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Geotagging app

On 2017-11-06 05:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On 04/11/17 21:17, Alan Browne wrote:

If you record GPS continuously then tagging any number of photos after
the fact takes a minute to set up and a few seconds to execute using a
tool like exiftool or any one of a variety of GUI based tools.

exiftool -geotag=GPS_20171103_162238.log -overwrite_original_in_place
-geosync=-4:00:00 *.dng

(Just need to navigate to the folder containing the dng's before
executing the command.Â* I keep a "template" of the command in a text
file so I just need to paste that into terminal, modify the gps file
name and let 'er rip).

Recording the position in a single shot is a fine backup, but pretty
tedious if you have 50 - 100 photos to tag afterwards.

That is useful - I've used exiftool before, but this is either new or I
have not noticed this feature...

Many years.

What particular app do *you* use for recording travel geo points?

I use either a dedicated GPS recorder (AMOD) or my iPhone or both.

On the iPhone I can use several apps but have tended to use Trails - as
I mentioned in my first reply to the OP.
Old November 6th 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-11-06 11:48, nospam wrote:
In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| iphones have a gps, which can show altitude if it's tracking 4 or
more | gps satellites, just as any gps would. |

A quick look around seems to indicate that the GPS altitude used in
cellphones is not very accurate.

it can be very accurate, depending on how many gps satellites are
being tracked.

recent iphones also have a barometer, as do many other smartphones,
wearables and of course, dedicated gps devices (e.g, garmin), which
increases accuracy, particularly indoors.

however, nothing is perfect. my garmin dedicated gps in my car once
told me i was 200 feet below sea level, despite being on a bridge
over a river and with at least 8 sats being tracked. it was wrong. it
did have the correct road, though.

GPS elipsoid and the local geoid are not coincident all over. The
difference can be quite large and correction models are not all that
accurate.

The barometer is not very useful to determine altitude above sea level
unless set to a known reference point first. Otherwise it's pretty good
for relative changes over a short period.

Hmm, there's a thing Apple could do: have a function to ping Apple with
the position of the phone and receive the nearest QNH (or a triangle of
them to interpolate from). Then the baro altitude could be used to
determine an accurate altitude above sea level.
Old November 6th 17, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"PeterN" wrote

| http://www.jsware.net/Files2/cliff1.jpg
|
| I remember that area well. I like the fog you caught. Was the camera
| level when you took that shot?

I didn't take it. A friend did. With an iPhone 6. Those
things amaze me. They seem to do all sorts of auto-editing
internally to produce an image with great clarity and
great lighting. But the Exif data doesn't seem to mention
anything about what filters are (or are not) applied.

| On my last trip there, several years ago, I was climbing down Cadillac
| Mountain to catch the sunrise. My leg collapsed, I sat down and skidded,
| using my tripod to give me more friction. Luckily I stopped a few yards
| from the drop-off.
|
| After I found I wasn't broken, I took this to see if the camera worked.
| https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxd5l6bb13low74/Sunrise%20in%20Acadia.jpg?dl=0

Very atmospheric. It looks like a Mars rover shot....
that elusive water.

Old November 6th 17, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

I didn't take it. A friend did. With an iPhone 6. Those
things amaze me. They seem to do all sorts of auto-editing
internally to produce an image with great clarity and
great lighting.

they have very good cameras, which are even better in later models.

But the Exif data doesn't seem to mention
anything about what filters are (or are not) applied.

no filters, unless the user applies one.
Old November 6th 17, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 6, 2017, Mayayana wrote
(in article ):

wrote

http://www.jsware.net/Files2/cliff1.jpg

I remember that area well. I like the fog you caught. Was the camera
level when you took that shot?

I didn't take it. A friend did. With an iPhone 6. Those
things amaze me. They seem to do all sorts of auto-editing
internally to produce an image with great clarity and
great lighting. But the Exif data doesn't seem to mention
anything about what filters are (or are not) applied.

I would say that you got that image SOOC.

The only filters applied should be those chosen by the photographer,
otherwise, if unedited, you should get the iPhone photo as shot. There are
many iOS and Android apps which such as Snapseed, VSCO, Filmborn, and others
which provide all sorts of filters.

On my last trip there, several years ago, I was climbing down Cadillac
Mountain to catch the sunrise. My leg collapsed, I sat down and skidded,
using my tripod to give me more friction. Luckily I stopped a few yards
from the drop-off.

After I found I wasn't broken, I took this to see if the camera worked.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxd5l6bb13low74/Sunrise%20in%20Acadia.jpg?dl=0

Very atmospheric. It looks like a Mars rover shot....
that elusive water.

Savageduck

Geotagging isw Digital Photography 1 October 17th 09 04:38 AM
Geotagging question Bror Johansson Digital Photography 8 October 10th 07 07:57 PM
ANN: new geotagging program Andreas Schneider Digital Photography 0 August 31st 07 09:21 AM
GeoTagging MidNight Mapper Digital Photography 7 May 10th 07 09:53 AM
geocoding / geotagging photos rakerman Digital Photography 1 September 5th 06 04:06 PM