OT, kinda, video

Old October 26th 17, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default OT, kinda, video

On 10/25/2017 12:07 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 25, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

While this isn't directly related to photography, it will be
interesting to some here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wxc...ature=youtu.be

There are those here who can't understand why someone would be
interested in still doing film photography or developing their own
film. Those still shooting film, though, have an appreciation for the
"old way" and an admiration of the mechanics involved.

The video is about a guy who has a similar appreciation and admiration
in a somewhat related area.

Yup! That was interesting.

Old technology is always interesting, just think of steam engines, or
warbirds.

Not a great image, bu I just felt like making it. I haven't decided if I
will continue to play with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/01gjzj6ig79jhsy/Warbirds.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old October 26th 17, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 26, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Not my kind of thing, that sort of composite, but if you are just playing, go
ahead.

My preference would be to present individual images of the B-29, B-25, B-17,
P-51, A-10, and eagle.

Savageduck

Old October 26th 17, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 26, 2017, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Thursday, 26 October 2017 15:44:51 UTC+1, PeterN wrote:
[...]

I;ve just been asked to date this image.
It;s in my lab but I don't think these are 1940s students, more like 60s..

but if anyone has any thoughts...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/35ntzcnna5...1940s.jpg?dl=0

I would never have thought 1940’s, maybe late 1950’s, early 1960’s.

Savageduck

Old October 26th 17, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 26, 2017, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Thursday, 26 October 2017 15:56:55 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 26, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I heard the other night on TV regading bombers, that the expression the whole
9 yards comes from the belt lengh of the guns on the B-17 as in give them the
whole or full 9 yards.

That is correct. A belt of .50 caliber ammo in an ammo can for the M2
Browning machine guns mounted in the various turret, and waist positions were
about 27 feet, or 9 yards long.

I always thought it was an american football term ;-0

Nope.

And my favourite warbird

http://www.startrek.com/database_art...omulan-warbird

Fantasy doesn’t count. You need something that has actually done the work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/di73lh4w4h87p81/DNC_5157B1w.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1iojfnm2rfj6z2g/DNC_4955B1w.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5uyshkc0p1ttr9/DNC_5019B1w.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/38e4wep8gka4bj6/DNC_4900-E2.jpg

Savageduck

Old October 26th 17, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 26, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

[...]

BTW: Depending on the ammo can type you would have either 270 or 380 rounds
of .50 Cal linked with metal links. The “nine yard” cans held 270 rounds.
The other thing to consider is the actual weight of each of those cans with
that much ammo, and the metal link belt.

Old October 27th 17, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/26/2017 10:56 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 26, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Understood. I think i understand your tastes. This was not intended to
be an image of any of those.

--
PeterN
Old October 27th 17, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Russell D.[_4_]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5okz7gpfo73qwr/jets.jpg?dl=0

Old October 27th 17, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 14:13:09 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:23:07 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 26 October 2017 18:05:43 UTC+1, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 09:33:48 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

I heard the other night on TV regading bombers, that the expression the whole 9 yards comes from the belt lengh of the guns on the B-17 as in give them the whole or full 9 yards.

I always thought it was an american football term ;-0

Nine yards has no real significance in American football. It's a gain
or loss in yardage, but the significant measurement is ten yards. If
a team gains ten yards or more in their series of plays, the next down
is a first down and they have four more downs in possession.

As clear as mud :-)

The difference between American football and European football is that
the American football players attempt to advance the ball towards the
opponent's goalposts. European football players mostly mill around
the middle of the field kicking the ball to and fro and not advancing
it in either direction.

Also, when an American football player goes down, it is because an
opponent, or a gaggle of opponents, has forced him down to stop his
advance. When a European football player goes down, it is a dramatic
move worthy of a BAFTA award for Best Performance for a Solo Effort.

Then there is this
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/..._Black_Sam.jpg
or http://tinyurl.com/y8hvl7n4

It looks as though a giant wall is about to descend on the ball
carrier.

Eric Stevens
Old October 27th 17, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...w_Zealand_All_
Black_Sam.jpg
or http://tinyurl.com/y8hvl7n4

It looks as though a giant wall is about to descend on the ball
carrier.

no it doesn't.
Old October 27th 17, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 17:32:45 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Also, when an American football player goes down, it is because an
opponent, or a gaggle of opponents, has forced him down to stop his
advance. When a European football player goes down, it is a dramatic
move worthy of a BAFTA award for Best Performance for a Solo Effort.

Then there is this

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...w_Zealand_All_
Black_Sam.jpg
or http://tinyurl.com/y8hvl7n4

It looks as though a giant wall is about to descend on the ball
carrier.

no it doesn't.

What do you think those guys are doing in the left of the photograph?

Eric Stevens