New Workflow Tool From Fujifilm

Old October 2nd 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default New Workflow Tool From Fujifilm

On Oct 2, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 2, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 2, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

Basically the 24.3 MP X-Trans III sensor, X-Processor Pro
cameras, and the GFX 50. The actual RAW processing is going to be
made by
the
in-camera processor of the connected camera via the UI of the
installed
Fujifilm X RAW Studio software, not the CPU in the computer. So RAW
shooters
using other manufacturer’s cameras are not going to be able to use
this
software.

Yes, ain't this special. You're on the way home from a journey and got
files from your camera on a flashcard in your wallet and then the
camera
itself gets snatch from your neck at the airport Then you have to get
an
another one to access the files... How are you supposed to handle files
in storage generated by obsolete cameras?

Methinks you are trying too hard to make something out of this particular
software. It is just an extra for Fujifilm X-Trans shooters.

The thing is that these features seem to be linked to the specific
camera model. Once the camera access is gone the feature is too...

So? The software is free, the RAW files remain as they always were. It is
just that some of what Fujifilm offers via in-camera processing and RAW
conversion cannot be replicated by Adobe, or any of the third party
software.
The same could be said for some of the features of the Nikon RAW processing
software.

Iridient claims to have overcome the looked coding in the RAFs that has
not been made available for Adobe. It's a free open beta. Have you tried
it?

http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/xtransformer.html

Note that Iridient has Developer and XTransformer, and all XTransformer does
is convert X-Trans RAF files to DNG which can then be imported into
Lightroom. Doing that negates much of the Fujifilm character.

I have tried both, and I am not that happy with them. They have addressed the
sharpening issue, but it is such a kludge when thrown into the workflow. Only
Lightroom has the Fujifilm emulations, but they are still done better
in-camera. For now I prefer initial work in Lightroom, including taking the
LR sharpening slider to zero, and then going to either Exposure X2, On1 Photo
RAW, or Luminar which I have installed as Adobe plugins, to finish.

I will see what Fujifilm have done with the new software, and firmware update
in November. If it is disappointing, I will just continue with my old
workflow.

Savageduck