Technical & legal background using copyrighted fonts in custom road signs in PowerPoint

Old September 16th 17, 11:12 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Technical & legal background using copyrighted fonts in custom road signs in PowerPoint

In article , Chaya Eve
wrote:

However, I can imagine that others aren't on Windows 10 using standard
browsers and well behaved Usenet clients so I thank you for explaining why
some people need the extraneous angle brackets.

standards are not defined by what windows 10 does or any other version
of windows for that matter.
Old September 16th 17, 11:17 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Your Name[_2_]

On 2017-09-16 11:40:07 +0000, Chaya Eve said:

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 18:09:27 +1200, Your Name wrote:

66 and 99 *are* the curly quote marks, so you did know about them.

Yes, but they were hand written quotes.
So there was only one type of hand-written quote.

No, there were always two ... hence "66" *and* "99".

Lazy people would probably have incorrectly written them the same
though, and then got hit over the knuckles by the teacher ... ahh, the
good ol' days when teachers could actually smack the naughty kids.

Typewriter (and plain text / ASCII) quote marks are normally short
vertical lines.

Exactly. So there was only one type of type-written quote.

Technically there still is. There's only one on the keyboard, but the
software converts the "straight quotes / apostrophes" into "curly" ones.

You can also type curly quotes directly (or use a "keyboard viewer" or
"insert glyph / character" feature). As usual it's a bit cumbersome
under Windows with some silly codes, but on a Mac you can just type
Option-[ and Shift-Option-[ for curly quotes and Option-] and
Shift-Option-] for curly apostrophes.

Old September 17th 17, 12:43 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
dorayme[_3_]

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

In article
, dorayme

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Your Name
wrote:

The apostrophe in words like it's ...

"it's" is not a word. It's a contraction of "it is".

An alternative theory: it *is* a word and means the same as the longer
phrase.

That's a hypothesis you are putting forward, not a theory. Mine was a
theory because it is supported by evidence. Snoot snoot !!

It is a silly distinction in this context. In your heart of hearts,
you know this Tim! What evidence? Schevidence, schmevidence indeed.

--
dorayme
Old September 17th 17, 04:07 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Char Jackson

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 22:08:08 +0000 (UTC), Chaya Eve
wrote:

My setup, which is pretty standard, worked fine when I doubleclicked on all
four of the quoted URIs, both those with and without the extraneous angle
brackets.

However, I can imagine that others aren't on Windows 10 using standard
browsers and well behaved Usenet clients so I thank you for explaining why
some people need the extraneous angle brackets.

Interesting! I would have guessed that you're using Windows XP, which is
probably your intent.

Old September 17th 17, 05:17 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Chaya Eve

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 10:07:39 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

Interesting! I would have guessed that you're using Windows XP, which is
probably your intent.

As previously explained, I have been on Usenet for decades where I post to
perhaps fifty threads in about as many newsgroups per day on average and,
where, for privacy reasons, my Usenet client randomizes all headers
automatically.

I don't even know what the headers will say since the randomization
algorithm only locks onto the newsgroups and thread title (aka subject
matter).

The only user-definable header which isn't random is the subject line and
where the body contains all that is necessary to know in order to answer
the question.

I'm not on Usenet for idle chatter, which I call the "coffee shop" Usenet
model, where it's actually important contextually who you are, since the
idle chatter conveys almost zero information otherwise.

I'm on Usenet to get (and give) answers to technical questions. Period.
I'm here to raise the overall tribal knowledge to a level that is above
what it was before I opened or posted to a thread.

There are crazies out there, as you well know (GG being one of them), so,
it's important to remain anonymous from them, but more importantly, from
aggregators who don't have the sophistication to delve into the body of the
thread.

I don't hide who I am in the body of the message (where I find it hilarious
that self-proclaimed super sleuths such as JR declare everyone else to be
me when they can't even notice the obvious in their face).

You can rest assured my technical conversation is always on point.
And that I will always be a good Usenet citizen by following the rules of
summarizing and testing and responding to all valid comments.

Where it gets dicey is when dealing with the trolls like nospam, who have
zero intention of contributing to the overall knowledge of Usenet. I
generally shut those common trolls down as soon as possible as they are a
detriment to the thread.

Did you notice I stayed out of the offshoot conversation about those common
trolls in this thread? That's because all the Usenet advice for dealing
with trolls is meant for the "coffee shop" model of Usenet, where I don't
use that model.

So I have to deal with common trolls like nospam in my own special way.