Cat photo

Old May 13th 17, 10:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

Default Cat photo

On 2017-05-13 07:35:59 +0000, "David B."

On 2017-05-13 00:18:05 +0000, "David B."
said:

[....]
My apologies for the delay in responding, Savageduck.

You were pretty much spot on! :-)

Basic flying training was, indeed, with the RAF on the Jet Provost 3
and 4 and took us to 'wings' standard. That was at RAF
Linton-on-Ouse in Yorkshire. I was there for much of 1968.

From there I went to RNAS Brawdy in South West Wales. There were
two separate squadrons - one with the Hunter T8 and the other with
the GA11.

OK. That makes sense.
For those aircraft it wasn't too difficult to narrow my estimate your
active dates.

Were you a detective?!!!

I retired as a Lieutenant and worked with several investigative teams,
mostly dealing with gangs (street and prison gangs) in California, along
with several special assignments which were done as solo investigations.
So I was as close to being a detective in my agency as you were going to
find.

An important fellow - I thought so!

I shall imagine you to be like Columbo! ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZiv8vkxMac

Have you been retired for a while now? For me it has been 18 years!

[....]
No, I had no idea that your mother was (is?) British. Quite a blow for
your mum; some girls don't ever get over such a loss. May I ask where
your mother met your father - I believe you said he was flying in the
Far East?

They met and married in 1947 after the war, after my father left the USAAF.

That I understand. What I was wondering was just HOW did their paths
cross? WHERE did they meet?

I also *HAVE* an uncle (married to my mother's sister) who served in
the RAF in North Africa flying Hurricanes and P-40's. He also
survived the war with severe burns received in a ground accident in
North Africa.

Wow! He must be in his nineties now. Does he live in England?

He died some 15 years ago. My mother died in 2003, and her sister in
2007. The lone survivor from that generation in both the UK & USA is my
father. I still have some cousins, and my sister-in-law in the UK.

You being a stickler for detail (!) I had pondered on your use of the
word HAVE above before I asked my question! ;-)

My own mother died at about the same time. Even now I sometimes make for
the 'phone to give her a call! Does your dad live somewhere near you or
is he far away?

My Grandfather was the family flying pioneer. He was one of the first
RFC pilots trained at Cambridge, and was fortunate to survive WWI
unscathed.

A VERY lucky man! :-)

Astonishingly so.

:-)

--
The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.
Old May 13th 17, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-13 00:18:05 +0000, "David B." said:
[....]
My apologies for the delay in responding, Savageduck.

You were pretty much spot on! :-)

Basic flying training was, indeed, with the RAF on the Jet Provost 3
and 4 and took us to 'wings' standard. That was at RAF Linton-on-Ouse
in Yorkshire. I was there for much of 1968.

From there I went to RNAS Brawdy in South West Wales. There were two
separate squadrons - one with the Hunter T8 and the other with the GA11.

OK. That makes sense.
For those aircraft it wasn't too difficult to narrow my estimate your
active dates.

Were you a detective?!!!

I retired as a Lieutenant and worked with several investigative teams,
mostly dealing with gangs (street and prison gangs) in California,
along with several special assignments which were done as solo
investigations. So I was as close to being a detective in my agency as
you were going to find.

An important fellow - I thought so!

Not that important, but I like to believe that I was respected for the
work I did.

I shall imagine you to be like Columbo! ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZiv8vkxMac

There have been times I was shabbier in appearance, though I never
drove an old Peugeot, or wore a worn out raincoat.

Have you been retired for a while now? For me it has been 18 years!

I retired in January 2009.

[....]
No, I had no idea that your mother was (is?) British. Quite a blow for
your mum; some girls don't ever get over such a loss. May I ask where
your mother met your father - I believe you said he was flying in the
Far East?

They met and married in 1947 after the war, after my father left the USAAF.

That I understand. What I was wondering was just HOW did their paths
cross? WHERE did they meet?

My father and another Airforce buddy were partners in an attempted
airfreight enterprise in 1947 using a war surplus C-47 and a C-57. They
made that attempt in South Africa. Unfortunately they butted heads with
South African, and colonial bureaucracy. My mother was working for the
British Trade Commission in South Africa. That is where they met.

I also *HAVE* an uncle (married to my mother's sister) who served in
the RAF in North Africa flying Hurricanes and P-40's. He also survived
the war with severe burns received in a ground accident in North Africa.

Wow! He must be in his nineties now. Does he live in England?

He died some 15 years ago. My mother died in 2003, and her sister in
2007. The lone survivor from that generation in both the UK & USA is my
father. I still have some cousins, and my sister-in-law in the UK.

You being a stickler for detail (!) I had pondered on your use of the
word HAVE above before I asked my question! ;-)

My own mother died at about the same time. Even now I sometimes make
for the 'phone to give her a call! Does your dad live somewhere near
you or is he far away?

We are some 2,500 miles apart (the USA can do that sort of thing).
However, as I have said, we talk daily via Facetime.

Old May 13th 17, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 2017-05-13 09:19:09 +0000, "David B."

On 2017-05-13 07:35:59 +0000, "David B."

On 2017-05-13 00:18:05 +0000, "David B."
said:
[....]
My apologies for the delay in responding, Savageduck.

You were pretty much spot on! :-)

Basic flying training was, indeed, with the RAF on the Jet Provost
3 and 4 and took us to 'wings' standard. That was at RAF
Linton-on-Ouse in Yorkshire. I was there for much of 1968.

From there I went to RNAS Brawdy in South West Wales. There were
two separate squadrons - one with the Hunter T8 and the other with
the GA11.

OK. That makes sense.
For those aircraft it wasn't too difficult to narrow my estimate
your active dates.

Were you a detective?!!!

I retired as a Lieutenant and worked with several investigative
teams, mostly dealing with gangs (street and prison gangs) in
California, along with several special assignments which were done as
solo investigations. So I was as close to being a detective in my
agency as you were going to find.

An important fellow - I thought so!

Not that important, but I like to believe that I was respected for the
work I did.

You certainly seem like one of life's 'good guys' to me! :-)

I shall imagine you to be like Columbo! ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZiv8vkxMac

There have been times I was shabbier in appearance, though I never drove
an old Peugeot, or wore a worn out raincoat.

:-) I'm so pleased that you didn't take offense!

Have you been retired for a while now? For me it has been 18 years!

I retired in January 2009.

Ah! So you are getting used to it!

[....]
No, I had no idea that your mother was (is?) British. Quite a blow
for your mum; some girls don't ever get over such a loss. May I ask
where your mother met your father - I believe you said he was flying
in the Far East?

They met and married in 1947 after the war, after my father left the
USAAF.

That I understand. What I was wondering was just HOW did their paths
cross? WHERE did they meet?

My father and another Airforce buddy were partners in an attempted
airfreight enterprise in 1947 using a war surplus C-47 and a C-57. They
made that attempt in South Africa. Unfortunately they butted heads with
South African, and colonial bureaucracy. My mother was working for the
British Trade Commission in South Africa. That is where they met.

Thank you for explaining. That all makes sense.

[...]

OK. FaceTime is a great facility. :-)